Prison purge of religious books

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 01:46 pm
From The Christian Science Monitor
"Earlier this year, chaplains in federal prisons removed thousands of religious materials from federal prison libraries nationwide. Perhaps this government-ordered purge won't cause concern outside of prisons, because it affects only convicts, and because it's to fight terrorism. But it should. "

Source:
http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/0913/p08s01-comv.html

Does anyone see this as a first step?

If so, in what direction?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 821 • Replies: 14
No top replies

neologist

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 09:54 pm
Mercy replies, anyone?
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 11:03 pm
absolute travesty.

if they want to make it so that the guards can't lead prayers, etc. it's probably a good thing. taking out materials that everyone should have access to if they want it is another. of course i don't just mean the bible, people should have access to any religious books they want. a few copies of si and carl sagan wouldn't hurt either.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 12:22 pm
Well this is flying like the proverbial lead balloon. Crying or Very sad Snivel
0 Replies

BDV

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 05:14 am
Its a shame, the bible was always a good source of paper to make cigarettes from when the cig papers ran out, nothing worse than a hand full of tobacco and nothing to smoke it in
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 05:42 am
The way round this one is to heavily emboss all religious books with the words. "This book is a work of fiction" Smile !

(actually we could also add a "Government Health Warning"....."Your religion can seriously damage the health of others")
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 08:21 am
hey if that's what it takes, fine.

i wouldn't mind seeing the same warnings on the tv news and the daily soaps, however. as for science books, such warnings aren't necessary, science is only useful if you continue to debate it. (personally i think this wonderful attitude should extend to other genres of learning and literature...)
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 08:31 am
Re: Prison purge of religious books
neologist wrote:
Does anyone see this as a first step?

Not the first step -- yet another baby step by which government cuts back human rights under the guise of fighting terrorism.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 09:54 am
Is it primarily an attack on human rights or an attack on religion?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 10:04 am
Fahrenheit 451
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 10:09 am
Even Mad magazine?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 11:54 am
neologist wrote:

Since freedom of religion is a human right, I don't see the two as mutually exclusive.
0 Replies

BDV

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 04:36 pm
neologist wrote:
Even Mad magazine?

Is that another word for the Bible ?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 04:53 pm
neologist wrote:

Maybe religions shouldn't be allowed to indoctrinate trapped people (who have little else to read). Maybe this was an act of kindness to protect the prisoners?

Maybe the prison chaplain should be required to represent all religions equally.

Maybe prisons should be required to provide a balanced proportion of reading materials.

Or maybe the prisons should be required to provide the prisoners with nothing else except "Programming for Dummies" and "General Physics" books, so they can contribute to the engineering job force when they get out (we could use more engineers).

(Mercy post) Wink
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 07:02 pm
i totally agree that religion shouldn't be used to indoctrinate prisoners.

i would never shuffle them into a service or religious meeting of any kind, unless they wanted one. note that i suggested even having atheist/skeptic materials available to them. and if you're to be fair, you'd need secular reading materials or they really wouldn't have "anything else" to read, that's completely true. removing religious materials isn't the answer however.
0 Replies