I am interested in disinterested knowledge

coberst

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 05:07 am
Disinterested knowledge is not a catalyst of production and consumption but it is the catalyst of creativity. Disinterested knowledge is the mixing bowl of creativity.

Creativity is the synthesis of the known into a model of the unknown. The value of the unknown is yet to be determined. Creativity requires a comfort with the unknown.

Disinterested knowledge is a means to defragment your brain.

Have you ever studied disinterested knowledge?

Do you think it is important to love to learn?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,131 • Replies: 23
No top replies

contrex

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 05:19 am
Re: I am interested in disinterested knowledge
coberst wrote:

I rather think you mean "forgeddaboutit" - (Imported US English slang word formed from the phrase "forget about it").

No way is "forgetaboutit" a true word in the Italian language, any more than "faire le far niente" is a completely French phrase for "relaxing doing nothing", or "carte blanche" is an English phrase meaning "a free hand".

Just a bit of disinterested knowledge, not that I believe such a thing is really possible.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 05:23 am
I would think it was "forged about it" but I'm not really interested..
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 06:40 am
Francis wrote:
I would think it was "forged about it" but I'm not really interested..

Forgeddaboutit -- spelt thus -- is New York/Noo Joisey English slang spoken by people like Tony Soprano etc, who are about as "Italian" as the Queen of England.

Check it out on Google.
0 Replies

jake123

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 08:08 am
Are people who study "disinterested knowledge" good at Jeopardy?
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 08:15 am
contrex wrote:
coberst wrote:

I rather think you mean "forgeddaboutit" - (Imported US English slang word formed from the phrase "forget about it").

No way is "forgetaboutit" a true word in the Italian language, any more than "faire le far niente" is a completely French phrase for "relaxing doing nothing", or "carte blanche" is an English phrase meaning "a free hand".

Just a bit of disinterested knowledge, not that I believe such a thing is really possible.

You evidently never watch the movies.
0 Replies

jake123

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 08:40 am
Quote:
Disinterested knowledge is an intrinsic value. Disinterested knowledge is not a means but an end. It is knowledge I seek because I desire to know it. I mean the term 'disinterested knowledge' as similar to 'pure research', as compared to 'applied research'. Pure research seeks to know truth unconnected to any specific application.

I am very interested in disinterested knowledge if I am understanding this correctly.

I like to just know about things. Something catches my interest and I look into it. I may not have practical application for it. It may just be to know it.

I don't know that there is any knowledge, even acquired just for the sake of knowing, that does not eventually get applied. Even if it is subtly or unconsciously applied.

Am I getting the gist of your point? Or am I way off?
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 10:44 am
coberst wrote:
You evidently never watch the movies.

How is "watching the movies" going to prove you right and me wrong?. I must watch 100 films a year. Not Hollywood crap, admittedly, mostly Italian, Spanish, French, Argentinian, and German films.

So how would watching the movies teach me that "forgeddaboutit" is an Italian word, and not American slang? I have seen 10 Italian movies this year, without subtitles, and in none of them was that word used.

It's not a proper Italian word, and that's all there is to say about it.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 11:31 am
contrex wrote:
It's not a proper Italian word, ....

Chiaro, se fosse vero, lo saprei...
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 12:08 pm
(raises hand)

excuse me?

It's fugedaboudit.

Chai(born in NJ and saw Donny Brasco)Tea
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 01:27 pm
jake123 wrote:
Quote:
Disinterested knowledge is an intrinsic value. Disinterested knowledge is not a means but an end. It is knowledge I seek because I desire to know it. I mean the term 'disinterested knowledge' as similar to 'pure research', as compared to 'applied research'. Pure research seeks to know truth unconnected to any specific application.

I am very interested in disinterested knowledge if I am understanding this correctly.

I like to just know about things. Something catches my interest and I look into it. I may not have practical application for it. It may just be to know it.

I don't know that there is any knowledge, even acquired just for the sake of knowing, that does not eventually get applied. Even if it is subtly or unconsciously applied.

Am I getting the gist of your point? Or am I way off?

Bingo! That is exactly what I mean. Follow your curiosity. To help in this quest I suggest that you acquire a "Friends of the Library" card from a local college. With this card, which will be a fee of about $25 per year, you will have access to all the books you might want when followinf your curiosity.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 01:30 pm
Yes the movie with Al Pachino. Al said that word a dozen times in that movie.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 03:29 pm
coberst wrote:

Did you mean that well-known "Italian" Al Pacino?
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 04:04 am
contrex wrote:
coberst wrote:

Did you mean that well-known "Italian" Al Pacino?

Yes, excuse the typo.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 07:49 am
But Al Pacino is not Italian, and he spoke English in the movie, Coberst, you seem to be an expert at wriggling out of the results of your foolishness. I should call you Oberst, because you are a Colonel of silliness!
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 08:36 am
contrex wrote:
But Al Pacino is not Italian, and he spoke English in the movie, Coberst, you seem to be an expert at wriggling out of the results of your foolishness. I should call you Oberst, because you are a Colonel of silliness!

You must be German.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 08:40 am
Yes, I shall call you Oberst too!

you silly Oberst.

here's another good phrase....

whaddayagonnado?

as in....That Contrex is such a mullet head....

response....whaddayagonndo? (along with a shrug)
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 10:40 am
coberst wrote:
You must be German.

Why?
0 Replies

jake123

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 10:42 am
How about "Watzitooya?"
0 Replies

Chai