Learning to design a website - feedback pretty please?

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 09:30 am
good call on the splash...though i didn't design it, it was there, and the president as well as much of the board like it.... i'll forward the info, but that is not my call.
padding, padding.... cell padding? what is it for? what does it do? will it leave white spaces between cells? gah, i know so little and this week the web became my more than fulltime job. i just don't have the time. and my eyes are killing me.
as far as the template goes - that was also not my work, am just trying to work within the system. I could change it, but then i'd have to go again page by page, make sure everything is ok...that would also be hours. i'm exhausted, might have to wait till next week. i've never designed any website before, and it's a tad overwhelming.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 01:28 pm
This might help you convince them about the splash page:

http://www.seomoz.org/blog/how-to-convince-a-client-they-dont-need-a-splash-page

As to the padding, there are different ways to do it and cell-padding should work fine as any padding will make the difference and when the text isn't flush up to the edges of its containers it's going to look a lot better.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 03:28 pm
Oh, I don't need convincing, I was never keen on the splash thing, but the President of my non-profit is. I will surely forward him the info...although taking it off also means changing the start page, thus changing the template, thus making sure it reflects on every single page - simply hours of time that i don't have.
I am trying to convince the higher powers to just get a professional designer who could sit down and clean it up in one fell swoop, as it's clearly not the best use of my time... i'm just trying to clean up what's up there already to make it tolerable for time-being. I'm sure once we hire somebody the flash will be the first thing to go. Maybe if I'm up for it, I'll get back to it next week, but I'm spent. It's been so exhausting.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 03:29 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
This might help you convince them about the splash page:

http://www.seomoz.org/blog/how-to-convince-a-client-they-dont-need-a-splash-page

As to the padding, there are different ways to do it and cell-padding should work fine as any padding will make the difference and when the text isn't flush up to the edges of its containers it's going to look a lot better.

ah, i see. so the padding sets it off a bit from the edges of the cell. got it. that i can probably fix easily. thanks for the tip.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 03:17 pm
So....still chugging along. This time i am wondering - how does one get that thingamajig in front of the website name on the top bar and on the tabs? You know - a2k has the lantern, gmail has the envelope, google has the G, firefox has the fox, New York Times has the curlycue T.... Victoria's Secret has nothing (nyah nyah nyah), and so do I.... I have an image (leaf) that i want to use.... can I do that from my Dreamweaver somehow?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 03:19 pm
Oh, and while I'm here, another question. I was playing with the 'autostretch' function for columns in my tables - the trouble is, I can only use it for one column. So, if I have say, a newsletter, that has 3 columns, it looks awful - it will stretch the one column i chose and completely squish the other two... I don't mind if one column stretches bigger than other two, but I want to be able to set and freeze the width of the other two columns - any ideas?

muchas grassy ass.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2007 03:21 pm
bump?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2007 05:39 pm
I seem to remember, from my days of playing with plain old html way back when, that you could set column width as a percentage of the table/page rather than as a fixed width.

I may be misremembering, though. I have a very unreliable memory.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2007 05:47 pm
Here we go.

A table cell's width can be set as a percentage of the table width (in html) by setting the cell as <TD WIDTH="%">cell content</TD>

http://www.fortunecity.com/help/development/html/tags.shtml

Don't know if you've got the interest to get outside of Dreamweaver and muck with the code directly, though, and how much the other scripts used by Dreamweaver to build pages might make this difficult-to-impossible to accomplish. Never worked much with Dreamweaver, and was thankful that I didn't have to.

Here's something. The link below has some instructions -- look for "Convert Table Widths to Percent" -- in some version or other of Dreamweaver. As I remember it, if you do this and set, say, four columns to all have a width of 25%, they will all shrink or expand equally, depending on the page size.

http://livedocs.adobe.com/en_US/Dreamweaver/9.0/help.html?content=WS50742BC8-C9CB-4694-9EF7-14CC94C8D9E1.html
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 01:34 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
Oh, and while I'm here, another question. I was playing with the 'autostretch' function for columns in my tables - the trouble is, I can only use it for one column. So, if I have say, a newsletter, that has 3 columns, it looks awful - it will stretch the one column i chose and completely squish the other two... I don't mind if one column stretches bigger than other two, but I want to be able to set and freeze the width of the other two columns - any ideas?

muchas grassy ass.

What you are trying to do isn't valid HTML, so it won't work all the time. You can compromise and put relative width on all cells or you can establish fixed width for the ones you want to stay a certain side and let the other one expand (by setting it to 100%).

But this is not going to work perfectly in all browsers.

dagmaraka wrote:
So....still chugging along. This time i am wondering - how does one get that thingamajig in front of the website name on the top bar and on the tabs? You know - a2k has the lantern, gmail has the envelope, google has the G, firefox has the fox, New York Times has the curlycue T.... Victoria's Secret has nothing (nyah nyah nyah), and so do I.... I have an image (leaf) that i want to use.... can I do that from my Dreamweaver somehow?

You need to make a file called "favicon.ico" and put it in the root of the site.

The .ico file has some requirements but there are online tools that will adapt an image to those requirements so you don't have to learn it yourself. Here are two:

http://www.htmlkit.com/services/favicon/

http://tools.dynamicdrive.com/favicon/
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 01:45 pm
Oh wow, that is coooool...

I'm not sure if I can use it on my site or not but I generated a good one and will see what I can do...
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 04:40 pm
Robert Gentel wrote:

You need to make a file called "favicon.ico" and put it in the root of the site.

The .ico file has some requirements but there are online tools that will adapt an image to those requirements so you don't have to learn it yourself. Here are two:

http://www.htmlkit.com/services/favicon/

http://tools.dynamicdrive.com/favicon/

THANKS A MILLION!!! done! Lookie here Razz
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 04:59 pm
it is silly, but these kinds of little things make me extremely happy.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 06:21 pm
That looks great!

I love that thingie. I still want to do it on my website (I haven't yet).
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 06:26 pm
thqnks Very Happy
0 Replies