Me, an IT trainee??

LuNaR

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 09:30 am
recently i got a job offer as an IT graduate trainee with a well-established multinational company. i accept the offer, as i've always been very interested to venture into the IT field. moreover, the salary and benefits package are interesting enough for a fresh graduate like me...

my only concern is ---- as far as i know, there are many IT graduates who applied for the same position, whereas i myself is actually a maths major graduate (i took IT as minor)...i am curious that, why would my employer chose me instead of the IT graduates, which i believe are more IT-savvy than me??

what exact criterias is an employer looking for when they hire a fresh graduate??
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,086 • Replies: 3
No top replies

jespah

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 04:02 pm
Probably 3 things, and the third one is not so nice.
1) They may feel you can think more creatively as you don't have preconceived ideas.
2) They can mold you as they wish, in terms of training and the knowledge they dole out and (sorry)
3) They may have gotten you for less $$.

Toldja the third one wasn't so nice.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 04:44 pm
Math majors are quite popular in IT, actually.

The owner of the company I work for used to teach math at the college level, and one of our engineers was one of his students.
0 Replies

LuNaR

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 11:52 pm
jespah wrote:
Probably 3 things, and the third one is not so nice.
1) They may feel you can think more creatively as you don't have preconceived ideas.
2) They can mold you as they wish, in terms of training and the knowledge they dole out and (sorry)
3) They may have gotten you for less $$.

Toldja the third one wasn't so nice.

1) maybe...
2) second that...
3) not agree...my starting salary is way above market average...
0 Replies