Around the Block and Back Home

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 08:28 pm
It began with an incident in my own little mobile home neighborhood, triggered by an incident involving my friend, Ben Grazingstern. Ben is a mild man of middle age, who minds his own business. He likes to putter and to fish. His wife and I exchange gardening tips and tidbits. It was a pastoral way of life, until a seperate breed of trailer trash came along to challenge it by moving into the trailer house across the street. They brought, along with tattoes and gangs of people, air poisoning machines and a wall of sound. All day and all night , bikes roared and revved. In the interest of "getting along" my wife and I suffered it to happen, as did the Grazingsterns.
To complicate the mix, add this: My brooding son-in-law who thinks he is Hamlet lost his job and moved his entire family, lock, stock, and barrell, into my living room for a protracted stay. Our home is a two bedroom, just fourteen feet wide. Roy had some eccentric notions. He treated the entire neighborhood to himself learning heavy metal guitar out on my front porch. Roy whanged away remorselessly all evening long, chugging Busch Light and chainsmoking Dorals. I retreated to my room. Ben gritted his teeth.
One day Ben exploded. He charged into the street.
"Shut those things off," he bellowed at the motley crowd on the other side. "If you don't, I am going to call the police."
Not wishing to draw the attention of the law, they meekly to the last one complied. The bikers withdrew into their mobile home.
Ben did not miss a beat; he turned to Roy and his guitar, speaking as kindly as he could muster.
"Will you please turn that amplifier down?"
Roy gave the volume knob a token fidget then launched into his own rendition of "Old MacDonald's Farm."
"If you want a war," Ben warned, "I will give you one."
Roy started saying, "I have a right -" but something in Ben's face made him quit. He shut the amplifier down and retreated into the living room.
"I only came in to get him to calm down," he blustered. "I didn't have to stop playing. He's infringing on my freedom of speech. I have a right -"
Sigh.
After listening a few moments, "Roy," I said - and I stretched my arms out after the manner of a fisherman describing the "one that got away" - "one hand represents a man with all of his freedom. The second hand represents a second man with equal freedom." I brought the palms of my hands together as forcefully as I could. "This is where their freedom stops."
I felt a sudden release. Suddenly I had a doctrine. I was to become a teacher of the two handed method. I vowed to become as a stone that is cast into still water and create a circle that spreads until it touches every living person.
Needless to say, The Sound of Two Hands Clapping transformed my life.
Ah, but it is six weeks since I began my campaign to enlighten modern civilization. I have preached to one and all, tirelessly. Tonight I am in my living room where my loving family has gathered. Present are my wife, two grown daughters, Roy, and two grandbaby toddlers. Roy is playing a video game on his 31 inch T.V.: Resident Evil. That is a game I have objected to in past days in the strongest possible terms.
"Roy," I announce loudly, "I am not going to be able to tolerate that game in my living room."
"How does this bit of Hitlerism fit into the Two Hands Clapping crap?"
"We are in my home," I say as I reach around him to unplug his T.V. "Only one hand claps in here."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,283 • Replies: 19
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 08:31 pm
This was an exercise for a writing class. I previously posted it on Abuzz, but moved it here to keep my writing posts together. Since this piece was written Ben has died and Roy and my daughter are no longer married.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 09:39 pm
What would we do if it were illegal to draw upon our personal experiences for stories?

More Author more.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2002 07:05 am
I fear the title is keeping readers away. I should have concentrated on the spicy parts - Oh, I forgot; there aren't any.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 09:22 pm
update: Roy is no longer my son-in-law and Ben has died. We still live in the same neighborhood and I am addin on to the front.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 06:18 am
Any more bikies?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 09:50 am
This is wonderful, Edgar!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 05:41 pm
The bikers family's Dad lived up the street. He moved out of the neighborhood very quickly one day. We recieved word he was indicted for perpetrating fraud on a remodel customer. Within a week or two, the entire biker bunch left.
A friend of the bikers' teeenage son once tried to pry my back door open. We had him jailed for a day or two. He and the bikers' son developed a powerful hate for me. The son once loosened the wheel on my pick up, hoping I would crash it. I could never proove this, but - -
The one that tried to pry my door open still passes my home. When he sees me in the yard he hollers "F--k you." I carry on just as though he were non existant.
The rest of my neighborhood is pretty much okay.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 05:46 pm
Oh, and, the real story about Roy is this: The moment I stopped him from playing his game in my living room he began packing, as did my daughter. Within fifteen minutes they were gone. They moved in with Roy's parents. Ordinarily my daughter is level headed and one you can rely on. During this phase she let Roy do her thinking. Now that they're divorced the rift between myself and her is healed and she is doing very well for herself. - She turned thirty last month.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 07:36 pm
A lot of us went through a similar phase, edgar...letting a man do our thinking. Fortunately for us (but unfortunately for the men), we always grow up. Cool
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 07:42 pm
Eva
It always breaks my heart to see one person under some other person's thumb.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 08:29 pm
That's because you have a good heart, edgar. Of course, I already knew that. It is obvious in all your writings.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 08:46 pm
It's my goal to spread it around.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 09:15 pm
Very Happy
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 5 May, 2004 08:37 pm
"Roy" my ex son-in-law has just blown my mind. For three years he has avoided paying most of his child support. My daughter patiently gathered enough information for the authorities so that they would proceed with actions to collect. The problem was, he kept changing jobs and hiding his home address. Without that information, the case might never have proceeded. Armed with my daughter's information, they started garnishing his wages (taking the money out of his pay before he gets his paycheck). In desperation, today, he demanded a paternity test. What makes the whole thing suddenly hilarious is, his son is a cookie cutter copy of him. If they were the same age they would look like twins.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 5 May, 2004 09:04 pm
Daaaamn... the gall.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 10:38 pm
I am told he married his girlfriend on April Fool's Day. I am also told he expects that a paternity test will cost about $35. He he. Try about 650 or so.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 08:11 pm
Well, the court has ordered Roy to appear in court on the first of July and to bring 2,700 dollars with him. He responded by losing his job. As the day approaches, he calls my daughter and says he just may do suicide. But, tonight he said to her, "It would solve all my problems if I just kill you."
My daughter: "Is that a threat?" He laughs. "You'll never know, will you?" Now I have jury duty the 29th and may not get to go with her the 1st.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 09:05 pm
Has she filed for a protective order? Is there someone else who will go with her on the first?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 09:18 pm
There will be somebody there, just not sure who. I told her to get the protective order. Since that conversation just happened a few hours ago there hasn't been the time to take any action.
0 Replies