Israeli's release of Palestinian prisoners

au1929

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2003 02:32 pm
Craven
The Road map if that is what is supposed to be followed calls for the Palestinians to dismantle the terrorist apparatus. None of this crap you dismantle the settlements and pull out of your defensive positions, release all the prisoners and open your borders. The only thing they haven't said was close your eyes inorder that we may recommence our terrorist activities. Both sides have obligations. I do not see the Palestinians making even the slightest move towards their fulfillment.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2003 02:34 pm
Settlements are NOT "defensive positions". Rolling Eyes I did not say any of the other "crap" you mention.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2003 02:45 pm
And, under the same cloud, I do not see the Israeli's
Quote:
making even the slightest move towards their fulfillment.

Fault one, fault the other - there is action and inaction on both sides. For that matter, I see no leadership from the USA either.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2003 02:49 pm
Quite right. Isreal made some lip service to fulfilling their obligations but Sharon then turned around and said they can continue to build settlements "quietly".
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2003 02:52 pm
There is also a new act of aggression - the building of a wall. How can a wall be an aggression, when it annexes land!
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2003 02:55 pm
Craven,
That the settlements must be removed is a given however, until the Palestinians show good faith by dismantling the terrorist organizations and basically force Sharon's hand I doubt that will happen. As far as the other so called crap they IMO are the aims of the terrorist organization who are in control in PA territory.
There is no trust on either side and inorder to gain it both sides must act responsibly. What we hear from the PA is we can't go after the Terrorist organizations for fear of a civil war. Who is in control and who does one negotiate with? Half a dozen splinter groups any one of who can break the tenuous cease fire at any time?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2003 02:58 pm
The aims of terrorist organizations have nothing to do with me or anything I said.

I spoke only of the delaying tactic of sequentialism in which both sides insist the other needs to take their steps first.

It is a sure way of succeding in faliure and the excuses about "good faith" etc are pretexts for the prolongation of the situation.

Again, neither side needs the other side to do anything to stop their illegal, immoral and savage acts.
0 Replies

gravy

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2003 10:45 pm
This or any other roadmaps lead to nowhere until both sides have the SAME ultimate goal.

Are Israelis genuinely envisioning going back to the green-line (pre-1967) borders? Are they willing to let go of the settlements and the control of the water, and roads built on lands not their own?
Will they share a capital with Palestine?

It doesn't seem so.

Are Palestians really envisioning forgoing their right to return to Israeli land (pre-1967)? Are they willing to accept their neighbor without having designs on unwinding history?

It seems unlikely.

As long as each side envisions a different version of a solution, it is hard to assume that they will do anything but to try to move towards their version, overtly or covertly, transparently or sneekily. This only means they will pay public lip-service to something they don't believe in, and the other side sees this as dishonesty, nit-picks the other sides efforts, and builds on their valid lack of trust.

It is clear that Israel isn't going anywhere, and barring forced exhile of n-million people, or killing them, Palestinians are there to stay too.

These so called roadmaps, or whatever kitch name they are called, are roundabouts with no exits, as long as each side thinks the other side is deserving of less rights (like Palestinians participating in the government that controls their lives), or undeserving of rightful coexistence (like Israeli's right to live in Israel as defined by international borders).

As is, this is a spectacle for pointing fingers, creating more extremists, and building more disparate histories on the same patch of land.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 10:17 am
Bravo, well said!!!
0 Replies

fancytickler

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 10:39 am
The truth is, that Israel is an independent country [VERY independent.

What 500,000,000 Arabs and 1,200,000,000 Muslims have not been able to do, I am afraid even the President of the United States cannot do, either.

You see, this is not a strike of the Aircraft Controllers Union, is it ? This is the Middle East, the land of coups and revolts, and has nationalistic and religious overtones, where compromise is just not the working policy.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 11:15 am
Independent small country that is the largest receiver of US aid (not considering Iraq) - if it is that independent, cut the aid Question
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 04:38 pm
21 August 2003 IDF Spokesperson Announcement

The suicide bomber and two accomplices were arrested, and a 10 kg
explosive device seized.

Three Islamic Jihad operatives planning to carry out a suicide attack
in Haifa were arrested Tuesday (19 August 2003), during an IDF
operation near Araba, southwest of Jenin. Among those arrested were a
potential suicide bomber, his driver and an additional person
appointed to lead the bomber to his destination.

During the operation, two vehicles were seized and three suspects
arrested: Amar Subhi Abed Othman- the potential suicide bomber, born
1977, from Silat El Dahr. Mohammed Daoud Mohammed Tehaine-
responsible for leading the mission, born 1974, from Silat El
Hartiya, a former Islamic Jihad operative and a former prisoner.
Ashraf Tissir Said Halil- the bombers' driver, born 1973 from Anin,
an Islamic Jihad operative.

During his interrogation, Amar Othman said that he was on his way to
carrying out a suicide attack in Israel. He also gave the name of his
operator, Bashar Hassin Fares Shuhana, born 1972, an Islamic Jihad
operative from Silat El Hartuya, a former prisoner who was released
in March 2003 after two years in Israeli prison for taking part in
terror activities as part of the Islamic Jihad.

Following Othman's interrogation, Shuhana, his operator, was arrested
on the night of August 19. Othman also named Mohammed Tehaine and
Ashraf Halil as accomplices in planning the attack.

Following Tehaine's interrogation, an explosive device was discovered
on Wednesday, August 20 2003. The device, weighing 10 kg, was made of
makeshift explosives including fragmentations. The device, found near
Araba, was to be used by Othman to carry out the suicide attack
0 Replies