Glass Treehouse in New Zealand - what do you think?

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2007 02:46 pm
This looks lovely to me. I've mixed feelings, even though the building was allowed due to low ecological impact. Probably silly of me - given all the eco depredation going on with building these days, this is nothing.

Very descriptive article ---
Glass treehouse article HERE

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/graphics/2007/09/02/pstella02.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,207 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Tico

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2007 07:29 pm
Seems idyllic to me, too, osso. No mention of environmental issues of energy or waste in the article - kinda odd. With all the rain mentioned, I wonder why the roof doesn't have a slope.

But I sure would like to spend some time in it!
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2007 07:38 pm
How high is the tree?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2007 07:51 pm
I dunno, re the height, I just clipped the article and swished it here. I tend to send a wash of articles to a2k every once in a while, like a flume, usually related to land use and art.

I'm more wondering about humans' presence skitterring away the birds...

et al. We have such big footprints. Especially if more do more of these.

Which is not to say I don't like what I read of the design and .. I might like living there.

I've gone on and on a few times here on a2k about my criterion being to live lightly on the land (or with stones, in stone land) given choices. And this is pretty light.

Still, it is piquantly invasive to me (maybe it's just me - I've this rush to leave that place alone).
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2007 08:10 pm
I wish there were more photos! I'd love to live there, or maybe have it as a vacation home (wistful!). What happens as the tree continues to grow?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2007 08:13 pm
Sglass wrote:
How high is the tree?

...the structure is just 16 poles drilled into the ground.

Sitting about 13ft above the gully at its highest point and 2ft at its lowest, the 1,000sq ft one-bedroom house seems to be floating in the forest.

Window and deck cleaning would be a constant chore with sap bird **** and general forest detrius. You'd also wonder about branches falling either onto the house or into windows.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2007 08:19 pm
Me too, re photos. And, I admit I come from a region that is sucking up all its nature forthwith (southern california), thus my qualms. What about the road, and so on...

even music... human sounds. But I don't know these people, maybe they are quiet.

At the same time, I'm seeing a kind of follow up to Phillip Johnson's glass house....
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2007 07:04 am
It's very pretty. I like the decoration -- very unusual for that kind of spare modernity. The leaf chairs, and that one wall of brocade wallpaper.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2007 08:28 am
sozobe wrote:
It's very pretty. I like the decoration -- very unusual for that kind of spare modernity. The leaf chairs, and that one wall of brocade wallpaper.

Interesting study of male Vs Female.

I saw the maintenance, soz saw the decorative elements.

Mars - Venus (shrug).

There was wall paper?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2007 08:33 am
I saw maintenance too, but that was already commented on. I didn't see any comments about the decor.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2007 10:33 am
I like it too, and it's a sensible way for cohabitation.

When I see how wild forested terrain is bulldozed to make room for
yet more housing (especially here in southern Cal) it would be so much
better, to find a way where wildlife and humans can cohabitate.
0 Replies