How much time do you spend each day on your religion?

Chai

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2007 10:30 pm
dadpad wrote:
My religion is Atookian.

I spend too much time on my religion.

Atookian?

Que?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2007 10:40 pm
Chai wrote:
dadpad wrote:
My religion is Atookian.

Atookian?

Que?

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2971
0 Replies

EmilyGreen

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2007 04:47 am
Sglass wrote:
Excellent EmilyGreen, I am a Buddhist too (with a fractured sense of humor)

Do you think A2k is part of your karma?

Isn't everything part of our karma? Very Happy
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2007 05:02 am
Re: How much time do you spend each day on your religion?
kickycan wrote:
I guess by this I mean to say how much time do you spend not only actively participating in your religion, like with prayer and church or temple or whatever you may do, but also thinking about it, such as in having daily situations or conversations that remind you of it or make you aware of it somehow?

On average, I mean.

Just curious.

Do you count atheism as a religion? So far this year, I have spent --

1 day reading Sam Harris' "End of Faith" and thinking about it
1 day reading Richard Dawkins' "God Delusion" and thinking about it.
maybe 3 days, spread thinly over the year, arguing in A2K's Spirituality and Religion forum.

So the answer would be about five days out of 365.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2007 05:06 am
Thomas wrote:
kickycan wrote:
I guess by this I mean to say how much time do you spend not only actively participating in your religion, like with prayer and church or temple or whatever you may do, but also thinking about it, such as in having daily situations or conversations that remind you of it or make you aware of it somehow?

On average, I mean.

Just curious.

Do you count atheism as a religion? So far this year, I have spent --

1 day reading Sam Harris' "End of Faith" and thinking about it
1 day reading Richard Dawkins' "God Delusion" and thinking about it.
maybe 3 days, spread thinly over the year, arguing in A2K's Spirituality and Religion forum.

So the answer would be about five days out of 365.

I've read "The God Delusion" too. Excellent book.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2007 07:45 am
I agree with Chai. Osso is very aware of her place in the universe and the relationship between her nerve endings and the cosmos.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2007 08:38 am
The goal is to reach an average of 86,400+ seconds each day. After over 45 years of practice on a very good day I might reach 15,000 seconds, or just a bit over 17% of the goal. The problems is that on a bad day focus may not exceed 7,000 seconds, a miserable 8%. How miserably I've fallen short! That failure represents the degree to which I remain afflicted with suffering, and lost opportunities to reduced the sufferings of perceptual reality over-all.

It can be done, it will be done. Time and space are illusory, but the constraints of those dream chains are difficult to burst. Oh, how difficult it is to awake from a dream filled with suffering even when we "know" it it is merely a phantom play. How difficult it is to remain focused when a dream tiger tears off your arm. It can be done, it will be done. Pay attention!

The multiple choice poll doesn't provide an option that makes sense from my religious perspective.
0 Replies

Aberro

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2007 12:44 am
I follow Buddhist teachings, so you could call me "Buddhist" if anything.

In that sense, every time I don't swat a mosquito, I'm exercising my religion.

And a great deal of self-control.

With Metta
0 Replies

anton bonnier

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2007 12:23 am
I answered none... but I do pray for a bottle of red wine when I have not got one, or a full one, when the one I have is empty... like about now.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2007 09:50 pm
Is this question exclusively for those of organized religions and a belief in God?
0 Replies

EmilyGreen

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 07:00 am
Aberro wrote:

With Metta

Ya see? Its an all day kinda thing! Very Happy
0 Replies

muslim1

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 07:13 am
kickycan wrote:

On average, I mean.

Just curious.

Since Islam is a complete way of life, I think a good Muslim should spend most of his/her time on religion.
0 Replies

hankarin

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 03:30 pm
Aberro wrote:

With Metta

I would rather that those who are capable of doing so, exercise common sense rather than exercise their religion, considering what mosquitos carrying today.
0 Replies

hankarin

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 03:32 pm
Chai wrote:
dadpad wrote:
My religion is Atookian.

Atookian?

I have wrestled with this great dilemma also.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 04:44 pm
muslim1 wrote:
kickycan wrote:

On average, I mean.

Just curious.

Since Islam is a complete way of life, I think a good Muslim should spend most of his/her time on religion.

Does that include the time spent flying planes into buildings and blowing up bus loads of children?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 05:43 pm
Wilso,

I truly hope that you didn't mean to sound as bigoted as that sounds. Islam is not the religion of fundamentalist terrorists. Yes, the extremists have done and are doing/planning some unspeakable atrocities, but they don't represent Islam any more than any extremist group represents their faith. Extremists of any faith are capable of atrocities (I don't think you'd disagree) but extremists don't represent the vast majority of any faith.

Unfortunately, you only make the point of the extremists with your bigoted ntolerance.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 05:47 pm
So I assume the UAE court system sentencing a 14 year old girl to 60 lashes was an example of their peacefulness? Or is that entire nation's fundamentalist actions not representative of such a peaceful and loving religion? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 06:04 pm
No, you're blending theocracy and faith. I don't endorse any type of theocracy and will fight alongside you to battle the inequities of a theocratic regime that takes it's interpretation to a point of human suffering. Pointing at the injustices of a judicial system of any country, theocratic or otherwise, and painting with such a wide brush as to make the statement you made is no better than those you try to disparage.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 07:40 pm
Thanks for being the brave voice of reason, JPB.
0 Replies

anton bonnier

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 12:07 am
I agree with Wilso... If it's done for religion , religion is to blame.
0 Replies