My most amazing vacation so far!(pics)

squinney

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2007 07:39 am
Well, it was a better guess than what shewolf thought! Very Happy
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2007 09:30 am
Oh wow, marty! What a great trip and what fabulous photos! Really amazing -- you have a great eye. Thanks so much for sharing them.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2007 09:40 am
Wonderful trip, and I'm crazy about the photos..
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2007 09:48 am
Chiming in... so great!

Sozlet loved the seals and is amazed that you were actually there and saw them in person (so to speak), and not in a zoo or anything either.

Wow!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2007 09:52 am
Wonderful! What an experience! Very Happy
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2007 10:26 am
So the bat has some special meaning, here's the story.

Some of you may have read my thread about my son and his ADD. He doesn't have the hyperactivity but has had a lot of trouble concentrating in school and lacks social skills, therefore leading to low self-confidence and shyness.

Our first dinner on the boat was nice, all tables sat at least six people. We were joined by two older couples and we all struck up conversation. My son wouldn't make eye contact, mumbled and just looked miserable. I felt so badly because these nice people were trying extra hard to make him feel comfortable. A family of 11 even invited him to sit at their kids table but my son refused.

The bat comes in the next day. We went to the island that has the giant tortoises. We took a bus up to the highland for our hike to spot them. Our naturalists were very enthusiastic and wanted to make sure we saw as much wildlife as possible. When she saw a bat flying over head she got all excited and told us how rare it is to see a bat flying during the day and identified it as one of two bat species that are found on this island.

About a half hour later during our hike my son said to me,"Mom, those dead leaves on that bush look like bats, hey wait a minute, it IS a bat!" (I fear bats and didn't care much about a bat hanging on a bush. So he snaps that picture and says that he wants to show our guide. I'm thinking what's the big deal, it's just a bat. So he runs up the trail and then comes our guide running back with her camera. She was thrilled to have the chance to see the other of the two species of bats and high fives my son because she's been waiting to spot this bat for 11 years.

Later, on the boat before dinner, we had our days briefing. Since all passengers are broken into smaller groups for the hikes we all get filled in on what each group saw. The lead naturalist had my son come up to the microphone and tell everyone how he spotted the bat. He was a celebrity from that moment on. When we went on outings people wanted him in their groups because he had the eagle-eye. That night he sat at the kids table and wasn't shy at all when talking with the other adults.

This was a life changing trip for him. He got a majot self-confidence boost and got to experience something that he loves. Now he wants to be a National Geographic photographer.

We got back home two nights before school started. My son said to me"Mom, I really screwed up last year and I'm going to do better this year." I was so happy, he was actually looking forward to his first day and hasn't been neglecting his homework.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2007 10:28 am
oh...sorry squinny...it was a bat.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2007 10:30 am
That's so great!!!

Meanwhile, this is reason # 4527 I want a digital camera:

Quote:
So he snaps that picture and says that he wants to show our guide.

(Can't do that with a 35 mm -- not mine, anyway.)

(Such a cool story...!)
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2007 10:36 am
Ah, Marty, you brought tears to my eyes.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2007 12:55 pm
Great story, marty. We're all now humming a tune of happiness.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2007 01:07 pm
Marty--

Wonderful pictures and even better news about your son!

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2007 01:52 pm
Good for your eagle eye son, marty -- great news. (And totally cool looking bat! A bat was my guess too, but, is it really furry? Like a rabbit with bat wings?)
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2007 02:26 pm
Omg. I wanna go.

What an amazing trip. Love the pics, and the story.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2007 02:34 pm
Bats creep me out, they're like mice and rats with wings.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2007 06:29 pm
marty barker wrote:
Bats creep me out, they're like mice and rats with wings.

But they eat mosquito's.
0 Replies

Oleander

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 01:15 pm
My most amazing vacation so far!(pics)
Hi MB. . . Yesterday I looked at all your photos and was blown away by how wonderful they are. Thank you for sharing them with the forum. Do you have details anywhere?

Today I was reading your post in the alphabetical rant and looked up your location. . . we from the GLR are ignorant of what PNW stands for, but I saw your post about Seattle and the movie Sleepless . . . . PNW is a cool part of the world.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 02:17 pm
I'm glad you liked my pics. I was so excited to share since I bought a new camera for the trip and am not a very experienced photographer. I definitely have the travel bug for sure.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 02:32 pm
You may not be an experienced photographer, Marty, but with that great 'eye', you are a photographer for sure..
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 02:34 pm
As osso said, it takes great "eye" ability, and you have it.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 02:37 pm
Thanks!
0 Replies