The self is not physical, but symbolic

coberst

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2007 03:28 am
i, pi and e are meaningful because we have become familiar with the concepts that they symbolize when we have studied mathematics in school. Our schools and colleges are interested primarily in helping us use these symbols as an algorithmic means for solving mathematical problems.

I am a retired engineer and I worked constantly for four years in college learning how to doThe symbol gains grounding from our experiences but the concept also has a great deal that result from our imagination. I think we might say that a symbol is an abstract idea created by experience and imagination, which becomes a significant meaning in our life.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 382 • Replies: 5
No top replies

happycat

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2007 04:03 am
"The self is not physical, but symbolic."

Good. Then I, myself, need to lose 10lbs..... symbolically. :wink:
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2007 04:17 am
happycat wrote:
"The self is not physical, but symbolic."

Good. Then I only need to lose 10lbs..... symbolically. :wink:

actually i think this has more significance for weight loss than many things. most people DO carry their weight (or lack of) as a symbol of status, of health, of appeal, but to a point, it only matters a lot because we agree it matters a lot. (at one point, the cardiovascular system cares too, as do the liver and kidneys.)

but of a lot of it is symbolic. as for the flag, we're treating it more like the swastika every day. the swastika of course, exists in many religions, as do white stars on blue backgrounds like we have on the flag. when people are mad for power, symbols often become more sacred. after all, if a piece of cloth can have more rights than you do, you're pretty much taken care of.

what good is freedom of(/from) religion if you have to pretend your country is god? "thou shalt put no other nations before me! for i am a jealous nation..." nonsense.
0 Replies

ceedeenee

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2007 05:10 am
The "self" that you speak of was created in the image of God (Gen 1:26). If self is a symbol and not reality then the symbol of "self" is a symbol of God's creation, which is reality.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2007 06:57 am
ceedeenee wrote:
The "self" that you speak of was created in the image of God (Gen 1:26). If self is a symbol and not reality then the symbol of "self" is a symbol of God's creation, which is reality.

Sounds good to me.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2007 01:15 pm
well, just because it's symbolic doesn't necessarily mean it's real or isn't real. sometimes symbols point to reality, sometimes they don't.

money is a symbol based in fiction that points to the reality of goods, but it's very real to us. on the other hand, it's only paper. so that's symbolism pointing to reality.

then you have symbolism like "hitler is germany and germany is god." that's symbolic alright. but germany fell and "god" ended up in a ditch on fire covered in petrol. and it was his honeymoon!

that's symbolism that isn't pointing to reality.
0 Replies