Freezing!

Letty

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2007 09:31 am
No, this is not a weather report from Florida, but a query about a problem that Raggedyaggie is experiencing. I have also had the problem once.

Every time she tries to post her collage on the radio thread, her computer freezes.

Once when I was viewing the new posts, I had the same thing happen. Can any of you offer a solution?

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,043 • Replies: 19
No top replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2007 11:24 am
(guessing it has something to do with the thread being over 3300 pages...)
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2007 11:42 am
Hey, Region, other folks don't seem to have a problem, and why would my pc freeze when I was simply looking at the new posts on A2K?

Why don't you try a collage on Bob's famous faces and see if it works. Razz
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2007 12:04 pm
i can't afford a freeze-up at the moment...
can i take a rain-check Smile
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2007 12:11 pm
Here 'ya go, Region, but you had better close your mouth, 'cause if it rains you'll drown. <smile>

http://www.sabr.org/cmsimgs/RainCheck%20cover%20KEN.JPG
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2007 03:56 pm
Re: Freezing!
Letty wrote:
...a problem that Raggedyaggie is experiencing. I have also had the problem once.

Every time she tries to post her collage on the radio thread, her computer freezes. ...

I don't think you had the same problem. First off, she can't post her collage anywhere on A2K. She can post a link to wherever it's housed online but she can't post it to A2K. So my assumption is that she's using a hosting site for it that may be freezing.

As for your own freezing issues, I can't speculate but there are A2K glitches and there are computer glitches and they often look similar, particularly when the bug report is vague.

Tell me, what were the conditions under which these things happened, both to you and to her? Got a million other windows open? Downloading antivirus updates at the same time? Playing YouTube videos or a video game at the same time? I'm trying to determine whether it's a RAM issue.

Also, does it happen on any other topics on A2K? If it's just that one, it can have something to do with the ads that are coming up.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2007 04:09 pm
Jes, it only happened once to me. I was viewing new posts on the forum and suddenly, I couldn't scroll or X out. I had to shut down.

I think that is the problem that Raggedy is having. As I understand it, she can access A2K but her pc/screen freezes and she cannot scroll down. She has always done lovely montages of the celebs that the "silver fox" does for the radio thread, and it is just recently that she has not been able to do so.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2007 04:52 pm
What I'm trying to get across is that the montages are simply loaded to a hosting site. And all she should be doing is pasting the link to the site in as her post (along with whatever wording she wants to add). She does not actually add the pictures. It's just a link, much like www.able2know.com in this post.

So it's not the posting of the link, per se, but it may be where she is choosing to host the pictures. But I need to know if there are any other times when she cannot post, e. g. she's just posting verbiage, or if it's on any other topic(s). That helps to narrow things down.

As for your isolated shutdown, that sounds like it was your own PC as everyone has had that at one point or another and it's not necessarily A2K-related at all, it's just something that sometimes happens to computers.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2007 05:00 pm
Well, I thought she just went to google and matched the picture that she found, to Bob's celebrity biography. I tried doing the collage effect, but couldn't get the hang of how to get them lined up properly. I'll check out your link shortly, and thank you. I will also email Raggedy and ask how she achieves the collage effect.

My problem might have been internet explorer as it has been telling me that A2K cannot be found and that the attempt has been aborted. I found a way around that and it has not happened today.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2007 06:40 pm
I have been having problems as well...with both freezing and an error message that says something like program error and the site is being aborted. But it is only happening here. Not on any of the other places I use. Have been scared I have picked up a bug or something but since it is not affecting anything else I don't think so. Now that I hear this I wonder if the website it having server problems or something like that (I am technologically challenged so don't laugh if that makes no sense).
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 05:54 am
It does and I am reporting it to Craven. I am unsure if it's the same error but the abort error is something I have been experiencing too. You can get around it by going to the forum itself (e. g. this one is computers), click on the one below the one you want to open and then select View Next topic (the wording is something like that) in the upper right corner.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 07:24 am
Thanks for posting this, Letty.

My problem is not only with posting pictures ,although the screen has frozen several times when I try to preview them and on occasion when I have tried to submit. There are other problems also.

I have no difficulty getting into A2K, but sometimes when I try to access New Posts or a previous post on a thread or the "back" button, my screen freezes. I then have difficulty getting out of A2K and on occasion have had to reboot. I have never had this problem in the past.

I'm not even sure this post is going to go through.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 07:24 am
I'm surprised. Laughing
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 09:16 am
Thanks, Jes. We all appreciate the work that the mods do to maintain this site.

Hey, Raggedy. Try posting a picture of Barry White on the radio thread. We don't have to have a collage. Let's just do one featured artist a day.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2849821#2849821
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2007 01:52 pm
Thank you Jespah. I was wondering how to get around it...huge help!
0 Replies

bigredsshop

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2007 05:05 am
mismi40 wrote:
Thank you Jespah. I was wondering how to get around it...huge help!

First of all if your using a pc with windows based intel and software you could do a disk clean up for starters, Then you could always do a defragmentation of you hard disk c:/drive. this will move some of the cluttered files into a tighter group. This is simple maintenance of your system. You should also have virus software instaled and spyware protection as well as a firewall in place. these things help keep the hackers from getting to your systems :wink: Idea
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2007 07:50 am
That maintenance is done weekly - thank Red. No, I really think this has something to do with the site itself. And actually I have not had a problem with it since before yesterday! I think whatever it was has cleared up. Thanks again!
0 Replies

bigredsshop

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2007 09:11 pm
No problemo anything for one of the forum friends! Laughing
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2007 06:55 pm
Raggedyaggie wrote:
Thanks for posting this, Letty.

My problem is not only with posting pictures ,although the screen has frozen several times when I try to preview them and on occasion when I have tried to submit. There are other problems also.

I have no difficulty getting into A2K, but sometimes when I try to access New Posts or a previous post on a thread or the "back" button, my screen freezes. I then have difficulty getting out of A2K and on occasion have had to reboot. I have never had this problem in the past.

I'm not even sure this post is going to go through.

Aggie, in addition to defragging your system, you should be checking for spyware and viruses. I suspect you have something beyond the issues that mismi was seeing.
0 Replies

bigredsshop

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2007 11:29 pm
And you should do checks for adware and spyware on a weeky basis!!

Edit: lets not forget the most important part of your (Firewall). (This is a barrier to help keep out the hackers!!)
0 Replies