"Our" Lord God....day late and a dollar short

averner

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 05:17 am
Saying an argument is "grasping at straws" does not prove it wrong. Also math does not have to be the God that the Hebrew bible said it to be. In fact it isn't...
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 05:29 am
Some people see "god" in everything. You, apparently, are one of those people.
I am not. Furthermore, I cannot comprehend your math/god correlation, because it just makes no sense to me.

You can believe what you want.

But that's the whole point of this thread....that some people just give 'god' credit for every frickin thing, and rely on 'him' to do for them, when they've got a perfectly good evolved brain to use to solve problems.
0 Replies

averner

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 05:33 am
Wrong! The most worshipful activity for me is to actually employ math and science in my thinking. In fact, thinking is a great virtue in my beliefs, because it leads to math. For me, relying on "math" means solving a math problem using my head, pencil and paper, or a computer in order to find the solution. It works really well with my financials.
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 05:35 am
good for you

Smile
0 Replies

averner

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 05:40 am
Also, where people currently do not comprehend the workings of math yet, I try to use critical and logical thinking, since it led to math and many other discoveries. How does the way you and I use our evolved brains to solve problems differ, other than our fundamental belief?

Since I only discovered this truth yesterday while contemplating math while going to math class in UMCP, I am not grasping at straws.. I'm realizing a lot of this as I go along. Before then I was of ignostic belief.

If I say I had a very large cup of coffee after not having any caffeine for a long time when I discovered the truth, would that make me even less credible?

I'm actually kind of starting to lose faith..and less than a day passed since I got the idea that math was god...
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 06:24 am
averner wrote:
Also, where people currently do not comprehend the workings of math yet, I try to use critical and logical thinking, since it led to math and many other discoveries. How does the way you and I use our evolved brains to solve problems differ, other than our fundamental belief?

Since I only discovered this truth yesterday while contemplating math while going to math class in UMCP, I am not grasping at straws.. I'm realizing a lot of this as I go along. Before then I was of ignostic belief.

If I say I had a very large cup of coffee after not having any caffeine for a long time when I discovered the truth, would that make me even less credible?

I'm actually kind of starting to lose faith..and less than a day passed since I got the idea that math was god...

yeah, I've had lots of revelations after doing drugs. But they don't usually make much sense in the morning.
Are you in College Park?
:wink:
0 Replies

averner

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 06:44 am
Yeah, I am.. Computer Science freshman.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 07:25 am
Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz ?
My friends all drive Porsches, I must make amends.
Worked hard all my lifetime, no help from my friends,
So Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz ?

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a color TV ?
Dialing For Dollars is trying to find me.
I wait for delivery each day until three,
So oh Lord, won't you buy me a color TV ?

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a night on the town ?
I'm counting on you, Lord, please don't let me down.
Prove that you love me and buy the next round,
Oh Lord, won't you buy me a night on the town ?

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz ?
My friends all drive Porsches, I must make amends,
Worked hard all my lifetime, no help from my friends,
So oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz ?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2007 11:19 am
No free car, dys. But if you ever make it to Seattle, how about a free coffee?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2007 12:09 pm
neologist wrote:
No free car, dys. But if you ever make it to Seattle, how about a free coffee?
Jamaica Blue?
0 Replies

hankarin

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2007 12:52 pm
I was of ignostic belief
Please consider minoring in English
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2007 01:32 pm
averner wrote:
Yeah, I am.. Computer Science freshman.
Freshman, eh?
I can hardly wait until you get to be a sophomore
0 Replies

averner

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2007 01:04 am
English is my worst subject, it is the only subject I have ever gotten a C for the year in High School. So.. sorry, no. Although I do respect if you are an English major yourself. What happens to people when they become sophomores though?
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2007 05:31 am
averner - It seems that neologist and hankarin don't have the patience of saints.
0 Replies

hankarin

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2007 12:19 pm
English is my worst subject
Just kidding you! Computer Science is what I would consider an excellent subject. Watch out for programming language though. Missing even a comma, let alone improper spelling, can cause a lot of trouble.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2007 01:03 pm
happycat wrote:
averner - It seems that neologist and hankarin don't have the patience of saints.
Quite true in my case.

I'm just an ignorant clod from New Jersey and my opinions are not worth the broom spent sweeping them into the trash.

Even though I am usually right. :wink:
0 Replies

hankarin

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2007 01:47 pm
neologist wrote:
happycat wrote:
Quite true in my case.

I'm just an ignorant clod from New Jersey and my opinions are not worth the broom spent sweeping them into the trash.

Even though I am usually right. :wink:

I appreciate your humility, I think. I hope all the wonderful folks here will put up with me until I learn more of that myself.

Saints go to heaven. I hope to live here on earth forever.
0 Replies