Yet another google page rank question

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 08:45 am
Hi CdK and Co.!
Here's question # 15678:
I know the page rank occurs when other pages link to you. And let's say somehow I actually get a page rank, and it is more than 1, like say 6 for my main page, based on what i've seen, that means going 1 level deeper may result in a page rank of 3 or 2 or 1 or even 0.
My question is the opposite - let's say some sites link to a post I have (which is in the forums, so it is below the top page) - if that would merit say a page rank of 3, would that AUTOMATICALLY bring the site's main page up more than 3, or could you have a main page with a rank of 1, and a sub page with a rank of 6?
Thanks for any info - I have been able to get some pages linked and i'm still trying to get a page rank above 0 - wish me luck!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,815 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Monger

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 09:50 am
Hi Gadget,

PR is page based. While I believe a home page with PR 1 and a sub page with PR 6 is theoretically possible it would be unlikely as all your sub pages are boosting the home page's PR through their links home.

By the way, in many cases the main benefit is the additional anchor text and not an increase of PR.
0 Replies

gadgetaddict

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 09:54 am
hi monger - i agree - i didn't know the term anchor text though it is fairly self explanatory - but i think you answered what i wanted - the subpage boosts the primary - thanks!
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 10:05 am
gadgetaddict wrote:
- the subpage boosts the primary - thanks!

It would boost the home page because it's a link like any other. A subpage with PR 6 wouldn't automagically make the home page a PR 6.

PS: What you're reading here is this link's "anchor text". Google will think some of the words I'm using here are relevant to this link. Thus, a link like Gadget Addict would be be much more helpful to you than a link like: Click Here.
0 Replies