IMDB - Signs religious debate continued

CerealKiller

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2003 05:56 pm
nu·mi·nous ( P ) Pronunciation Key (nm-ns, ny-)
adj.
Of or relating to a numen; supernatural.
Filled with or characterized by a sense of a supernatural presence: a numinous place.
Spiritually elevated; sublime.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2003 06:00 pm
Ah, yes ... the ruinous, often luminous numinous!
A contrivance meant mostly just for foolin' us.

(with apologies to Ogden Nash, of course)
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2003 06:01 pm
I prefer numbskull fear.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2003 06:03 pm
Oh, I know what numinous is. I created a long topic on it about six months ago that you could look up if you were interested. I'm just wondering what makes you afraid. Roman Catholic teachings say that one of the reasons Christianity is so good for you is that your fears are taken away when you are brought into the fold.
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2003 06:04 pm
Very Happy Very Happy LMAO Good one.
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2003 06:08 pm
I would say because if there is a God it's not something I want to be wrong about.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2003 06:17 pm
He'll forgive you for not recongnizing him -- how many times have we all gone to parties and are unable to recognize anyone there?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2003 06:22 pm
Among other considerations, one would think that if a god was concerned about such things as reverence, recognition, and acceptance, that god would not mask itself in mysteries, riddles, contradictions, and enigmas, while simultaneously providing its intended subjects with the abilities of and appreciation for logic, reason, and deduction ... just don't seem to make much sense.
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2003 08:27 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Among other considerations, one would think that if a god was concerned about such things as reverence, recognition, and acceptance, that god would not mask itself in mysteries, riddles, contradictions, and enigmas, while simultaneously providing its intended subjects with the abilities of and appreciation for logic, reason, and deduction ... just don't seem to make much sense.

An "approval-seeking" god? LOL Very Happy

For me, there is no reason why logic itself or the ability to reason should obscure the possibility of an absolute being. In some sense, we already know the existence of absolutes intuitively, in the way we know that cause precedes effect. You just know, for as lame as that reasoning may be!

Anyway, you seem to have considered these things quite deeply, and I truly respect that.
0 Replies

RIK-22

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 01:00 pm
---------

Sorry -- not to be argumentative -- but I didn't follow the logic of that one. Are you saying that "moral laws in the Bible" are questionable because they cannot possibly be fulfilled?

--------

Maybe I should have elaborated more. Of course the infamous 10 commandments are in general good rules to live by (well IMO). If you look further though there is some very unusual advice given in the Bible. My apologies for not having the specifics to hand, but along the lines of:

 Ok to sell your daughter for slavery.
 Sacrifice cattle once a week
 Absolutely nothing can be done on a Sunday
 Woman can not be spoken to when on their period

There's a famous Email on the net about these subjects, I'll try and find it and post in a second response. In essence if you try to follow the directives throughout the Bible you basically can’t do anything.

BTW- I'm very impressed with this forum, everyone seems polite, respectful and well informed, something which is very rare on the Net, actually very rare in life.
0 Replies