Mouse Problems

Roberta

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 01:19 pm
My mouse is misbehaving. It's a light mouse, not a mouse with a ball. Sometimes it doesn't work at all. Won't move. It often double-clicks without my doing it. It shows up on the screen in places I haven't put it. A couple of times it didn't show up on the screen at all.

It's driving me crazy.

Am I correct in assuming that this is a mouse problem, not a computer problem? If I get a new mouse, do I have to tell the computer it's here? Or can I simply connect the new mouse and be off and running?

Please keep in mind, when you respond, that I know nothing about computers. I might not understand what you say.

I've put in a call to my computer geeks, but no one has returned the call.

Help.

BTW, if I get a new mouse, about how much do they cost? (The light kind). Is there one brand that is preferable to others? The one I have now, is a logitech.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,268 • Replies: 25
No top replies

eyelet

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 01:23 pm
Hee hee,,,sorry it took me a while - probably until I saw computer before I realized you weren't talking about a rodent! Laughing

I don't know what it could be - I am no computer expert...but I just bought the light kind (for the life of me I can't remember what they are called) and it was around $20.00...not so bad. Make sure you get one that goes with your operating system. I bought a windows 98 one (dufus) and had to go back to get the XP. This was last year at Office Depot...I wouldn't think prices had changed that much though!

Good Luck!
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 01:27 pm
When's the last time you changed the battery?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 01:36 pm
I've never changed the battery, Swimpy. There does not appear to be a place to open the mouse to put in a battery.

Also (just my ignorance), why would it need a battery if it's connected to electricity?

Thanks for the price info and the tip about compatibility, eyelet. Some rodents are a pain in the patoot. The fuzzy kind and the electronic kind.
0 Replies

eyelet

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 01:53 pm
Laughing No problem... and if it has a wire it doesn't need batteries!
and I agree...both the computer and rodent kind are a pain! I would rather deal with the computer kind though! :wink:
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 02:11 pm
What brand is it, Roberta? If you also have the model info that would help too. Look on the under side of the mouse. Should be info there.

And is it an optical mouse or a light mouse?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 02:20 pm
Your mouse has no balls? So it's a female mouse? That would explain the acting up! Razz

If you buy a new one you shouldn't have any real problems connecting it. I'd recommend you get one with the same type of connection your current mouse has (i.e. serial, usb, etc..)
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 02:30 pm
I reached my computer geek. He gave me all the info I need. Whatta guy.

Thanks to each of you for responding.

fishin, Years ago I went to get a new mouse. The one I had been using had a ball. The clerk recommended a new mouse. Took a look and exclaimed, "It's a castrati!" On further examination, I decided it was a female and said out loud, "Oh, it's girl." The clerk laughed.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 03:10 pm
When you said it was a light mouse, I assumed you meant an optical courdless mouse. They have batteries. Sorry.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 04:17 pm
Swimpy, no need to apologize. When it comes to computers, I have no idea what I'm talking about.

I HAVE A NEW MOUSE. She's a beauty. Definitely a she. It seems to be working fine.

Hallelujah.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 05:22 pm
Could you tell me what brand and model it is if you have that info? Would like to compare them to the optical mouse I currently have.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 05:29 pm
Butrflynet, The new mouse is a Logitech Optical Mouse--3 buttons PS/2. It comes with an adapter. It's working well.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 05:53 pm
So it was an optical mouse you were referring to as a "light" mouse when describing the non-working one?

It is the "light" mouse description I am trying to figure out and get more info on.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 05:58 pm
Butrflynet, Never trust any computer jargon I use. I don't know what I'm talking about! I was referring to the little light that comes on with the optical mouse. Mice will balls don't have a light. (Does that sound semi-obscene?)

Sorry if I mislead you. Hey, what do I know? Nuttin'.
0 Replies

eyelet

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 07:54 pm
I'm still laughing...the mouse balls...it just kills me! Laughing Optical <pops> THAT's the word I was looking for. But I knew what you meant by the light one!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 07:56 pm
Me too, and glad the Logitech works...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 08:10 pm
Hey eyelet! Welcome to a2k. You seem to have all kinds of good knowledge to share.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 08:39 pm
One thing about optical mice is you need to be aware of the surface you are using it on. Some surfaces can cause the symptoms you are describing where the pointer will jump.

Now where did I put those directions on how to clean mouse balls.
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 08:46 pm
Roberta knows more than me!

My mouse is male.

What wrong with the ball? I'm wondering?

Oh, well. It works at least.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 08:58 pm
Mice don't work unless they have clean balls.

I found the directions..

Quote:
Mouse balls are now available as FRU (Field Replacement Unit). Therefore, if a mouse fails to operate or should it perform erratically, it may need a ball replacement. Because of the delicate nature of this procedure, replacement of mouse balls should only be attempted by properly trained personnel. "Before proceeding, determine the type of mouse balls by examining the underside of the mouse. Domestic balls will be larger and harder than foreign balls. Ball removal procedures differ depending upon the manufacturer of the mouse. Foreign balls can be replaced using the pop-off method. Domestic balls are replaced by using the twist-off method. Mouse balls are not usually static-sensitive. However, excessive handling can result in sudden discharge. "Upon completion of ball replacement, the mouse may be used immediately. It is recommended that each replacer have a pair of spare balls for maintaining optimum customer satisfaction. Any customer missing his balls should suspect local personnel of removing these necessary items."
0 Replies