Trivial pursuit and human extinction

coberst

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 03:00 am
Trivial pursuit and human extinction

I was awakened last night by a loud knocking on my door. Fortunately the knocking was not reality but was a dream.

When I "heard" the knocking I sat upright in bed with my heart racing and immediately tried to determine if what I had heard was the real world rather than a dream. I assume such things happen to everyone; such things have happened to me before.

I was unable to go back to sleep. Instead my mind led me into contemplations that have resulted in my preparing this posting thus ending my attempt on going back to sleep.

I am retired and have been using my free time for the last several years studying the human condition. I have been trying to comprehend why humans do the absurd things we do and if there is some way to change the direction our civilization is heading. As part of this effort I have been engaged in several of these Internet discussion forums writing my thoughts about our human propensity to self-destruct.

Circumstances this summer have led me into becoming a bricklayer for the first time in my life. I needed to build a small brick wall in my front yard and I have been engrossed in this project for many weeks.

When I look back on my bricklaying efforts I recognize that I have tranquilized myself with trivia. For many weeks I have narrowed the focus of my intellectual interests to the follies of amateur bricklaying. The loud knocking was my unconscious awakening me from my holiday of trivia. My mind was willing to focus upon the trivia just as before it was focused on the important. But a sense of guilt drives my intellectual activity back to more important matters.

Have you experienced the difficulty sometimes of separating dream from reality?

Do you think that such things as hearing a loud knocking is our unconscious sending us a message?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,258 • Replies: 32
No top replies

happycat

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 03:53 am
Nope, I think you just heard some real noise and incorporated it into your dream.... like the sound of the alarm going off is a noise in your dream until you wake up and realize what it is and shut it off.

That's not to say that dreams aren't sending you messages. I fully believe in that. I usually try and figure out what it was that made me dream what I did.
Almost every time I dream something that I can relate clearly to an actual incident, it's always something that happened two days before, rather than the day before.
I find that peculiar. I suppose my brain needs time to "digest" the incident
before cooking up some bizarre dream. Very Happy
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 04:43 am
I've heard noises when drifting in or out of sleep, which definitely weren't real noises being incorporated into my dreams. But they're not 'messages' from the unconscious. The unconscious isn't some kind of magical ghost that sends you cryptic messages. Your unconscious just consists of any memories, beliefs, desires etc. which you aren't currently conscious of, and which you can't easily retrieve. But just because they're 'locked away', that doesn't mean there's anything mysterious about them. Most of your unconscious thoughts are probably incredibly boring... like memories of every time you've been to the toilet.

Dreams may consist material from the unconscious, but they're not messages. I mean, they're incoherent... why do you think people make absolutely no sense when they talk in their sleep? Because they're not really saying anything. Dreams are gibberish.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 04:47 am
I wish youd work on the connectivity of your titles and your threads. So howd yer brick sll turn out?
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 05:13 am
agrote wrote:
I've heard noises when drifting in or out of sleep, which definitely weren't real noises being incorporated into my dreams. But they're not 'messages' from the unconscious. The unconscious isn't some kind of magical ghost that sends you cryptic messages. Your unconscious just consists of any memories, beliefs, desires etc. which you aren't currently conscious of, and which you can't easily retrieve. But just because they're 'locked away', that doesn't mean there's anything mysterious about them. Most of your unconscious thoughts are probably incredibly boring... like memories of every time you've been to the toilet.

Dreams may consist material from the unconscious, but they're not messages. I mean, they're incoherent... why do you think people make absolutely no sense when they talk in their sleep? Because they're not really saying anything. Dreams are gibberish.

I think you've over-simplified things there.
I've read that dreams only last a minute or so, even though they seem to last much longer. Maybe the reason that our sleep-talking sounds like gibberish is because our brains are moving so fast in the dream state that we are unable to vocalize fast enough.
Although, there have been times that I've understood exactly what my daughter is saying - loudly and clearly - even though she's sound asleep.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 05:25 am
happycat wrote:
i think you've oversimplified things there.

Probably.

Quote:
I've read that dreams only last a minute or so, even though they seem to last much longer. Maybe the reason that our sleep-talking sounds like gibberish is because our brains are moving so fast in the dream state that we are unable to vocalize fast enough.
Although, there have been times that I've understood exactly what my daughter is saying - loudly and clearly - even though she's sound asleep.[/color]

Can you given an example of something your daughter has said, and what message it might have conveyed?
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 05:52 am
agrote, I'm not tying the 'message" theory (which I happen to believe to a certain extent) to talking out loud. I'm just saying that I've understood what she's said - literally.
Once I heard her yell "Oh you're kidding!" and then a long laugh. I thought she was on the phone, until I looked in and saw her sound asleep.

I'll tell you what makes me wonder about dreaming; many times I've been in that netherworld just before falling asleep, and I've been thinking about something that has nothing to do with me or my life and then suddenly come fully awake again and wondered "WTF was that???"
It almost seems at times I've channeled into someone else's mind and I'm having their thoughts....if you catch my drift. Like, completely foreign thoughts and subjects about which I know nothing, have somehow made their way into my mind.

I always try to decipher the dreams I remember - which, they say, are the ones you wake up with. I like to know why I dreamed that.
Usually I'm successful.
But it's those thoughts that float into my head before falling asleep that puzzle me the most.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 06:43 am
agrote

I have been studying psychology and cognitive science in my spare time and I am convinced that the unconscious is very important.

Cognitive science tells us that more than 95% of all thought is unconscious.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 06:45 am
farmerman wrote:
I wish youd work on the connectivity of your titles and your threads. So howd yer brick sll turn out?

I was worried about my bricklaying job but it did not turn out to badly. I constantly try to create titles that will attract as well as be informative.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 06:51 am
I LOVE LUCID DREAMING, its too bad the older i get the less i can do it.
I dont even remember dreaming at all lately, maybe i should slow down and enjoy things more, i think its a sign.

I used to have dreams about skateboarding (and other activities) where i would fall and literally jump forward physically.

isnt being alive intriguing?
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 10:12 am
coberst wrote:
agrote

I have been studying psychology and cognitive science in my spare time and I am convinced that the unconscious is very important.

Cognitive science tells us that more than 95% of all thought is unconscious.

I'm not denying that it's important to mental life, or that most of our thoughts are unconscious (although, unconscious 'thoughts' are really just dispositions to have thoughts; e.g. the disposition to consciously recall a certain event from childhood).

But I can't see any reason to believe that our dreams have some kind of sensible meaning.

happycat wrote:
I'll tell you what makes me wonder about dreaming; many times I've been in that netherworld just before falling asleep, and I've been thinking about something that has nothing to do with me or my life and then suddenly come fully awake again and wondered "WTF was that???"
It almost seems at times I've channeled into someone else's mind and I'm having their thoughts....if you catch my drift. Like, completely foreign thoughts and subjects about which I know nothing, have somehow made their way into my mind.

...it's those thoughts that float into my head before falling asleep that puzzle me the most.[/color]

I get those. One of my lecturers said that 'weird thoughts' are very common during the first stage of sleep. Once I had a scottish man saying random phrases. It's just a strange side-effect of falling asleep I think. It doesn't mean anything.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 10:22 am
agrote

I have been studying a lot of psychology in the last year and psychology places a great deal of importance on the unconscious and upon dreams and myth. They consider dreams are one means wherein the ego cannot suppress the unconscious and therein the conscious can gain some insight into the unconscious. Likewise myth serves the same purpose of all humans. In other words we discover some universal truths hidden in myth and we find some hidden truth hidden away by repression by the conscious mind.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 11:28 am
coberst wrote:
I have been studying a lot of psychology in the last year and psychology places a great deal of importance on the unconscious and upon dreams and myth.

They consider dreams are one means wherein the ego cannot suppress the unconscious and therein the conscious can gain some insight into the unconscious. Likewise myth serves the same purpose of all humans. In other words we discover some universal truths hidden in myth and we find some hidden truth hidden away by repression by the conscious mind.

I recently got my degree in psychology and philosophy. What you are talking about is psychoanalytic theory. Contemporary psychology is a science, and it has done away with such unsupported claims. What empirical evidence have you found that there is a unified 'thing' called the 'unconscious', or that dreams are insights into the 'unconscious'?
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 01:13 pm
agrote wrote:

I recently got my degree in psychology and philosophy. What you are talking about is psychoanalytic theory. Contemporary psychology is a science, and it has done away with such unsupported claims. What empirical evidence have you found that there is a unified 'thing' called the 'unconscious', or that dreams are insights into the 'unconscious'

I've had dreams where I've recognized places and things, yet the people don't look familiar at all.
Have I just fashioned faces in my mind? Faces that don't really exist??
I tend to think they are people that I've encountered or seen that I don't remember or didn't consciously notice.
0 Replies

eyelet

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 01:20 pm
I agree HappyCat. I can also think about things that happened the day before and see them in some of my strange dreams! Even a small incident that for some reason entered my subconscious. Every once in a while I will have one that I can't connect to anything...but I am sure it is from something that happened in the past week or two that I just really didn't pay a lot of attention to but somehow it got trapped in the gray matter somewhere!
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 01:31 pm
agrote wrote:
coberst wrote:
I have been studying a lot of psychology in the last year and psychology places a great deal of importance on the unconscious and upon dreams and myth.

They consider dreams are one means wherein the ego cannot suppress the unconscious and therein the conscious can gain some insight into the unconscious. Likewise myth serves the same purpose of all humans. In other words we discover some universal truths hidden in myth and we find some hidden truth hidden away by repression by the conscious mind.

I recently got my degree in psychology and philosophy. What you are talking about is psychoanalytic theory. Contemporary psychology is a science, and it has done away with such unsupported claims. What empirical evidence have you found that there is a unified 'thing' called the 'unconscious', or that dreams are insights into the 'unconscious'?

The books I have been reading that support these theories are:
Life Against Death--Norman Brown
Escape from Evil--Ernest Becker
The Birth and Death of Meaning--Becker
The Heart of Man--Eric Fromm
The Death and Rebirth of Psychology--Ira Progoff
Beyond Alienation--Becker
The Denial of Death--Becker
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 01:34 pm
eyelet - of course! We see so much with our eyes and even though we don't realize it, our brains are absorbing it all.

well, most of the time anyway :wink:
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 09:12 am
happycat wrote:

Yes. You've seen lots of noses, eyes, hair colours, face shapes etc. in your life, and your mind is capable of reassembling them through imagination, or through dreaming. You dream of faces that you have never seen before, but what makes you think they aren't composed of parts that you have seen before? Or of parts to which you apply concepts such as size. It's possible to imagine a real nose as being bigger than it is, so it's possible to dream of incredibly big noses.

I used to dream that my sister had green skin. There's nothing very mysterious about this... I'd seen my sister before, and I'd seen the colour green, and during sleep my memories of my sister and of the colour green were activated simultaneously - or something like that.
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 11:21 am
agrote wrote:
happycat wrote:

Yes. You've seen lots of noses, eyes, hair colours, face shapes etc. in your life, and your mind is capable of reassembling them through imagination, or through dreaming. You dream of faces that you have never seen before, but what makes you think they aren't composed of parts that you have seen before? Or of parts to which you apply concepts such as size. It's possible to imagine a real nose as being bigger than it is, so it's possible to dream of incredibly big noses.

I used to dream that my sister had green skin. There's nothing very mysterious about this... I'd seen my sister before, and I'd seen the colour green, and during sleep my memories of my sister and of the colour green were activated simultaneously - or something like that.

or......was your sister the jealous type and you knew it, and that's how it manifested in your sleeping mind?

that's how I would interpret that dream
Cool
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 02:05 pm
happycat wrote:

or......was your sister the jealous type and you knew it, and that's how it manifested in your sleeping mind?

that's how I would interpret that dream
Cool

No, I don't remember thinking that she was jealous. This is wishful thinking... the envy interpretation is slightly more exciting, so you prefer it. But that doesn't make it true. I don't find it plausible that our "unconscious mind" shows us obscurely symbolic plays while we're sleeping.
0 Replies