Should you defend your quality?

stach

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2007 01:59 pm
I posted a kind of essay rather than a question about the issue of defending your quality when students drop comments about you being this or that half professional etc. Nobody replied and that is probably there are two many questions and suggestions all mixed up so I accept the silence.

So let me try to ask the question as simply as possible.
If students come up with some comments about your lack of certificates, education, experience or whatever that may be - should you tell them
it's none of your business or ignore them or tell them all about your decades of teaching, bring all the certificates, university diplomas, books you have translated etc? I kind of hate the idea that some of my students are not sure if I am fully qualified. It really doesn't help the overall atmosphere in the classroom because the evil students try to infect the positive ones.

Please let me know if even this post makes no sense, just say something.

If you need to know how I learned about those nasty comments I will tell you details.

And by the way even if I don't agree with everything people here have to say, I have learned a lot from your comments and advise. I sometimes feel like a blind guy getting directions like Oh, don't touch that button! Oh no, don't go to that room, oh, don't you ever say that word, etc.
It is like if something seems so scary for you and it hasn't seemed scary for me for years, now at least I admit it may be something scary and I stop experimenting in that field. But if I don't know about some aspect of dealing with students, I just experiment and see what happens. So you help me a lot to not waste time with experiments that just don't end up well in most cases, which I really appreciate. So please don't leave me cuz
I am going to be a teeechure for at least another decade so you can help not only me but all people involved, as you know. Amen.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 800 • Replies: 5
No top replies

contrex

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2007 02:18 pm
You might find, if you describe your training and qualifications to your students, that you might just interest one or two in taking up teaching as a career. Just a thought.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2007 02:57 pm
Your qualifications are not your students' affair. You will not waste class time arguing.

Tell them to take any questions to the school administration/school board who have hired you, who have renewed your contract, and who sign your paychecks..
0 Replies

stach

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2007 04:29 pm
contrex wrote:
You might find, if you describe your training and qualifications to your students, that you might just interest one or two in taking up teaching as a career. Just a thought.

you mean if i tell them about all my experience as a teacher and translator
etc. that they might be interested in such a career? i guess, maybe that is true, the students who are happy with the way i am and when they see how much i enjoy teaching, they may think about it , it is true
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2007 04:41 pm
I agree with Noddy! Questioning your credentials is not something a
student is equipped to challenge. If the majority of your students aren't
in agreement with the quality of your teaching, they should take their
concern to the school authorities.

I simply would ignore their provocations, or have a short sufficient answer along these lines: "I would not be here if my credentials weren't impeccable" Then go on with your curriculum.
0 Replies

stach

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2007 04:44 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Your qualifications are not your students' affair. You will not waste class time arguing.

Tell them to take any questions to the school administration/school board who have hired you, who have renewed your contract, and who sign your paychecks..

man, why am i so stupid that such simple, realistic solutions don't occur to me? it seems i will have to rely on kind and patient members of this forum forever - of course, if the students have doubts, they should check with the administration - but the fact that they haven't - probably - only shows that
those are some teenage rants and whines

you know how i learned about such comments? a student from univesity showed up, working on her thesis and gave my students some forms asking
all about literature and reading as a part of EFL - for some reason, i have no clue why, she included this question or point - write the good and bad sides of your English teacher

now some students had this silly idea that they will turn her forms into a farce - later they apologized for that cuz they ruined her work
and filled out things like this about me, here are some examples:

Pros: Handsome
Cons: He has never studied abroad

Pros: Buddhist
Cons: Buddhist

PRos: Tall
Cons: sometimes talks bullshit

Pros: He really cares about us
Cons He doesn't know English

Pros: None
Cons: Self - taught

So who knows what was just fun and what they really meant, but where the heck did they get some of the information, I don't know
Obviously, they had no idea that I would ever get to read the forms. One of the students, having just realized that I have read the comments came to me and apologized for all of them, which was nice, but still, I was and still am bit worried about what kind of reputation do I have? And why?
Especially about that "self-taught". Like I have never studied at university?
And the most puzzling is "He doesn't know English." I mean I probably don't know English because that sentence doesn't make much sense to me. In Czech we don't always say He speaks English. We also use "know English". Maybe that was just a joke. Maybe the student thinks that I should know all English words that have been recorded in all kinds of dictionaries.
0 Replies