[answered] un-Able2Know

Setanta

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 07:02 am
dlowan wrote:
Hey...most of our crayfish are seawater. What gives?

There may be saltwater crawdaddies in the New Nited States, but i'm unfamiliar with them. Crayfish (crawfish, crawdaddies) can be found in freshwater just about anywhere in the United States where the body of water doesn't freeze solid in wintertime--although if my recollection is correct, they were "introduced" in most of the country north of the Yazoo and the Arkansas. (Crawdaddy, meet Farm Pond--Farm Pond, Crawdaddy . . . i'll be back in a year with a big net.)

Also known as mud bugs . . . i love them little critters . . .
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 07:19 am
Setanta wrote:
dlowan wrote:
Hey...most of our crayfish are seawater. What gives?

There may be saltwater crawdaddies in the New Nited States, but i'm unfamiliar with them. Crayfish (crawfish, crawdaddies) can be found in freshwater just about anywhere in the United States where the body of water doesn't freeze solid in wintertime--although if my recollection is correct, they were "introduced" in most of the country north of the Yazoo and the Arkansas. (Crawdaddy, meet Farm Pond--Farm Pond, Crawdaddy . . . i'll be back in a year with a big net.)

Also known as mud bugs . . . i love them little critters . . .

Yup, that's all true, but I just found out those Aussies do it differently!

"In Australia and New Zealand, the name crayfish (or cray) generally refers to a saltwater spiny lobster, of the type Jasus that is indigenous to much of southern Oceania, whilst the freshwater species are usually considered a yabby, or a koura, from the Aboriginal, and Maori, names for the animal."
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 08:35 am
Ya learns somethin' new ever' day . . . an' in this case, a matter crucial to one's quality of life . . . if one ever finds oneself in the antipodes and desperate to eat mud bugs . . .
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 09:06 am
It can happen!

I've got Aussie on my list of places to visit. Now, with this current layoff and subsequent financial disaster (401K/retirement funds crash), I should visit there in the year 2050 when I'm 100!
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 02:33 pm
Ragman wrote:
High speed Cray computer that has been Rama-injected

Cray and Hal makes me think of a highly improbable event, kind of science fiction, by Arthur C. Clarke:

- Rendez-vous with Rama.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 05:40 pm
There are freshwater crayfish in Australia. the difference between a yabby and a freshwater cray is outlined below.

Freshwater crays have a harder shell and generally grow to a larger size. Depending on the species freshwater crays have short spines along the shell which make cracking them open to eat quite painful.

Murray Cray

http://www2.mdbc.gov.au/education/encyclopedia/wildlife/invertebrates/images/Murray_Cray.JPG

Euastacus armatus (Family Parastacidae)

The Murray Cray (also called the Murray Lobster) is a large crustacean easily identified by its size (200 mm-300 mm) and its ornately spined body. They are active in the winter months especially in the more highly oxygenated waters of the Murrumbidgee and Murray. Breeding takes place in late autumn and early winter with the eggs being carried by the female until October. After hatching, the young remain attached to the female until they moult three times and develop the adult morphology (form). The Murray Cray prefers animal protein but is essentially an omnivorous scavenger.
http://www2.mdbc.gov.au/education/encyclopedia/wildlife/invertebrates/murray_cray.htm

Yabby

http://soer.justice.tas.gov.au/2003/image/44/p-a_pests-mainland_yabby2-m.jpg

Cherax destructor (Family Parastacidae)

The Yabby is a widespread robust species. They are smooth-shelled, with a range of body colours from brown to the more typically blue with red appendage joints. They live in both temporary and permanent waters and can tolerate relatively high temperatures and low oxygen levels.

Yabbies are active in the warmer months and females may carry eggs from October to March. Adult yabbies average 100 mm -150 mm in length and may weigh around 100 grams. Yabbies generally feed on detritus but catch and eat any small animal that comes within range, including other yabbies.
http://www2.mdbc.gov.au/education/encyclopedia/wildlife/invertebrates/yabby.htm

Tasmanian freahwater giant crayfish grow to be quite a size however it is rare to see them this size in the wild anymore.
http://www.rampumps.com/taseggs.jpg
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 02:17 pm
"Loyalty to a petrified OPINION never yet broke
a CHAIN or freed a HUMAN SOUL"--Mark Twain
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 05:33 pm
Is it not painful to seek shelter from ABUZZ to unable2know toWaggery.com?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2008 12:31 pm
Thanks for the info, DP . . . them ain't nothin' like the mud bugs we know here in North America . . .

Rendezvous with Rama was a big disappointment to me. I found it rather false--not in the sense of a lie, but in the sense of not convincing me.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2008 01:31 pm
rendezvous

noun

1. A commitment to appear at a certain time and place: appointment, assignation, date, engagement, tryst. See agree/disagree.
2. A frequently visited place: haunt, resort, stamping ground. Slang hangout. See place, repetition.

verb

To come together face-to-face by arrangement: get together, meet1. See meet.
My EnglisBUSH is worse than the queen's Engligh.
Sorry
Rama
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2008 01:36 pm
Setanta wrote:
Rendezvous with Rama was a big disappointment to me. I found it rather false--not in the sense of a lie, but in the sense of not convincing me.

Well, I found it well written and with a great sense of suspense but I was really disapointed by the end of the story.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2008 08:36 pm
I am Rama not Oscar wild.
But in this quote he speaks my language

"Pleasure is the only thing to live for.
Nothing ages like happiness"

Some time my title is being distorted..
One in case is this.
Under politicts
I put a subject Rama, Dalai lama, dilema and no Drama
I tried my level best to expose hypocracy.
But the title now is Rama, Obama, Dalai lam.............?
Why?
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 11:07 am
A humble request to the administrator or moderator.
If a thread is blocked for offensive post it should be removed.
Under politics two threads were blocked but not removed .
Why?
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 03:54 pm
Ramafuchs, it works better when you start a new topic for a new question.
0 Replies