Microsoft error messages?

msolga

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2007 06:35 pm
This is possibly Luddite quest No 327 Embarrassed , but anyway ......

I've been getting a lot of error messages from (what I think is) Microsoft) from wer.microsoft.com These include access denied ("access aborted" messages, which apply only to A2K, not other internet sites. However, when I click the X on the message box (only way out) & refresh the page, all works well. Confused)

Question: Is wer.microsoft.com legitimate Microsoft messaging, or am I experiencing something else here?
I note, from checking this morning in my History folder, that I've received an "embedded?MSG", amongst other things.

Thanks in advance if you can help enlighten me as to what's going on. Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,375 • Replies: 10
No top replies

msolga

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2007 11:17 pm
Got you all stumped, have I?

No idea of what I'm talking about?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2007 11:34 pm
You haven't given enough information. We know enough to assume you are getting error messages on your computer (as opposed to written on your wall) but don't know anything else about what you were doing and what you saw.

It's best to try to describe, step by step, what happened and what you do/did. Make sure to include program names, and such. We don't know if you are getting a browser error, some patch/update error some random popup error or what.

Note: just trying to help you ask it better, I am not familiar with what you speak of and am not much help.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2007 11:37 pm
Stumped. I get error messages from somewhere when opening a page. I get a different error message upon closing a2k. Something about some memory not being read, or something like that. If it bothered me much, I would copy them onto the forum. I don't know if this what you're getting, or not.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2007 11:39 pm
I've done some quick research and it appears that wer.microsoft.com is a domain that is used to host information about errors reported to Microsoft. So it sounds like you are having errors and then after using their "report to microsoft" feature are being directed to that website.

Next time copy the message you see, and if possible the url of the message (not sure if that can be done, as I always disable the error reporting).
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 12:03 am
Thanks for responding, Craven. Much appreciated.
I doubt (if technical know how is involved) that I'd be able to follow detailed instructions to fix the problem. I'm interested (1) to know if that is an "official" Microsoft site & (2) if this is a serious problem that needs to be addressed. If so what is the danger?

OK here goes: Sometimes (like today) when I first turn on my computer, I get the "blue" error page & a "send report" request from a Microsoft message box. Sometimes I've sent the report & mostly I get back the message that basically they don't know what's causing the problem.

Then, (like quite a lot, recently) when accessing A2K threads from (Outlook) updates , I get the "Access denied/operation aborted") box. I don't know why this happens only on A2K, but no way am I suggesting that it's A2K's fault. (For all I know it could be something to do with Outlook Express, or my computer ... who knows?) But I cannot actually access the thread (or do anything else) without either deleting the message box (by clicking the red X in the corner) or clicking the OK option in the box. Then refreshing the page. It appears to occur most when accessing the threads for the first time during a particular computer session. Further updates appear to be mostly OK.

I'm trying to figure out if the problem is a serious one, or potentially serious, which might require the attention of my tech. I'm sorry I haven't used the correct technical language here. If my own wording is too wishy-washy to follow, that's OK.

(Oh, I'm regularly doing virus scans (Trend, with automatic updates) & Spybot & Ad-Aware, too. If it helps to know that.)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 12:09 am
Oh! I just got one of those "access denied/operation aborted") message boxes from Windows Internet Explorer (Sorry, not Microsoft) after posting the last message on this thread. And had to delete it to read the message I'd posted. Does this make any sense, or is it time for a visit to my tech?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 12:24 am
roger wrote:
Stumped. I get error messages from somewhere when opening a page. I get a different error message upon closing a2k. Something about some memory not being read, or something like that. If it bothered me much, I would copy them onto the forum. I don't know if this what you're getting, or not.

Thanks anyway, roger.

No, not quite like that. A regular, maddingly regular, "access denied/operation aborted" message. Only on A2K.

I'm stumped, too. Confused

This is beginning to sound like a problem unique to with my computer! Sad
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2007 04:26 am
Surprised

The problem seems to have vanished overnight!

I hope this is not a premature post. Touching wood like crazy!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2007 05:20 am
Uhoh. Spoke to soon.
Only happened once, though ...
0 Replies

bigredsshop

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2007 05:31 am
Try writing down the error messages and then googling them. this will help you become familar with how to resolve your own problems!
Most error messages have already been reported but every day there are new ones. Reporting the ones that you don't find answers to, is the key to resolving the issues Idea Smile
0 Replies