Dualist-opposites-help

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 06:17 am
I need help to understand something please...

I understand that a dualist believes love and hate are opposites and also good and bad are opposites

I understand that a non dualist does not consider love and hate as opposites on of the reasons being that to hate some one means you "care" what happens to them and if you love some one you care what happens to them...

BUT i don't understand how a non dualist see's good and bad as opposites...

i would really appreciate your help in understanding this!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,538 • Replies: 17
No top replies

oldandknew

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 07:07 am
Re: Dualist-opposites-help
kerfuffle wrote:
I need help to understand something please...

I understand that a dualist believes love and hate are opposites and also good and bad are opposites

I understand that a non dualist does not consider love and hate as opposites on of the reasons being that to hate some one means you "care" what happens to them and if you love some one you care what happens to them...

BUT i don't understand how a non dualist see's good and bad as opposites...

i would really appreciate your help in understanding this!

I'll try but it's very hot and I've fused my brain putting transmission fluid in my car, but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, when you say for a non-dulaist to hate someone means to "care" about then, I think "care" means to be bothered or worried that they might succeed at something that the non-dulaist would wish them to fail. Love in the accepted sense doesn't come into. Does that make sense or have I muddied the water
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 07:19 am
Dualists are full of crap...that should answer you question. My feeling is that it comes from an unimaginative mind, and a rigid personality. Our Canadian dollar has a queen on one side, and a loon on the other, yet it is still valid currency. I am being absurd, but the basic fact is that dualism is divisive, while non-dualism, which I prefer to call humanism, is not.
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 07:33 am
Love and hate aren't opposites. They both arise from the same emotion - passion. I see them as the extremes of the same base.

The opposite of both is indifference.
0 Replies

kerfuffle

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 12:01 pm
sorry i think i worded it wrong

lol i understand love and hate are not opposites....

but i would like to be able to understand how good and bad are not opposites... Razz
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 12:13 pm
Every coin has two opposite sides, and yet, it is still a singular object.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 01:02 pm
It boils down to what you mean by "opposites".

1. Opposites cancel out ? (e.g. Riches - Poverty)

2. Opposites attract ? ( e.g. Positive - Negative charges)

3. Opposites are mutually exclusive ? (e.g. Freedom - Slavery)

Each pair of opposites have at least one common dimension and they occupy the extreme ends. Dualism tends to ignore this common dimension. (Non-dualism appears to be equivalent to Hegelian "synthesis" which transcends "thesis - antithesis")
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 09:36 am
well, mr polarity will have 2 wade into the breach here; hope he doesn't get blown out of the water (was that breach fullof gunpowder?);

not being an expert on duality, i will twist this subject into a discussion of polarity.

opposites define 1 another; that is, 'light' defines, or complements 'no light', or dark. without light there can b no definition of dark because it cannot b conceived unless 'light' is 'known', or the concept of light is understood.
i will bring the ancient asian concept of yinyang in2 this as there is good, and evil, virtual opposites, but all is subjective; 1 might say something is good while another considers it bad. is there a reliable definition of goodness, or badness. we define these things 4 ourselves and if pressed will admit that within all good there is a kernal of evil, just enough to give the good the radiance and strength it deserves by contrast, and within all evil there is always a glimmer of the light of purity.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 09:41 am
I am with BoGoWo on this one.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 09:44 am
LOOK OUT CAV!!!!!!!!

that really is a dagger!!..............

oh, ok, so a virtual dagger.... Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 09:53 am
Our strength as humans is our adaptability...ergo, our future as a species depends on finding the truth somewhere in the middle of our sad attempts to polarize an existence we do not truly understand. So, I'm still with BoGoWo on this one, heh heh.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 09:55 am
A virtual dagger & a virtual Brutus per chance.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 10:08 am
except in this case, the writing is 'off the wall'! Laughing
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 10:12 am
off the wall eh ? watch out for those glass bits called windows.
They go crack, shatter, smash. OUCH. Saved by the virtual.................
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 10:17 am
virtual, hurt u al; go put u're slippers on oak. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 10:51 am
Hey Bo , did you see Die Hard, where they shot out all the glass and Bruce willis had walk across it in his bare feet ??????????
Big Boys don't wear slippers Bo. If they got any sense they wear them big, serious, industrial boots with thick soles & metal toecaps.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 10:56 am
the way i do house keeping, those r my slippers! Shocked
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 10:59 am
Touchet Bo.

At least you wont vacuum your toes off your feet
0 Replies