Everything's Bigger in Texas!

littlek

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 06:03 pm
And that spider on the bottom looks like an orb-weaver. They build a new web EVERY night.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 10:17 pm
Both webs I posted are orb webs. Most orb web spiders re-build their webs every night, and some of them consume the old webs to reuse the compounds needed to spin more web.

Even though most books say that orb spiders rebuild their webs every night, I know from first hand experience that not all of them do that on a regular basis. When I was a kid I loved to feed things to the orb spiders in our back field, and many of them left the web un-repaired the next day.

My own gut feeling was that if the spider was fed it tended not to rebuild the web unless it was horribly damaged. If the spider was unfed, and the web was damaged only slightly, then they tended to rebuild it.

It could be that a satiated spider is a lazy spider. Or it could be that a satiated spider knows it has a successful web (so leaves it alone), and a hungry spider doesn't (so it instinctively rebuilds it). I'm not sure.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 09:42 am
Interesting...... Trying to think back to my orb weavers. I can't remember them ever leaving a whole web up. I think they sometimes left a strand here of there that I'd walk into the next day. Then again, I never watched them that carefully.
0 Replies