Too much pressure?

stach

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 01:38 pm
As I am teaching at a school with a very good reputation, and the students are very well aware of the reputation of the school, so they have extremely high expectations of the teachers. I hear complaints about the quality of all English teachers at our school very often. I heard them criticize me about the fact that "I haven't studied abroad" which is not very accurate, as I have taken
a TEFL course where I was taught by Americans, Britons and Kiwis. Actually, one cute Kiwi. And that course was so intense that I learned there more than during one year at Charles University studying education. And I spent two months at a Zen center in the US, where I didnt' study education, but you could call it a very intense, mind piercing study of philosophy. I have also taken a course in interpreting and am a certified interpreter and have worked as a translator professionally for years. Then you come to these brats and hear them say notes like "he is not a professional" and stuff like that. I have
a MA in education, a TEFL course certificate, an interpreter certificate, have been teaching for 20 years at all kinds of school mostly very successfully and these little snobs label me like that. Anyway, I really want to feel like I have done my job well and the kids have learned something.
ANd I know they have. THe board is full of corrections, phrasal verbs, grammar examples etc after every lesson and they usually take notes.

The whole post is about feeling some kind of inadequate expectations when learning a language in a group at school. I hear ppl in the US often study French at high school but are not able sto say a sentence in French agter six years. I would call THAT a failure of a teacher. I expect my beginning students learn basic, surviving English after one year with me, they use three basic tenses and are able to have simple conversations about everyday things. I would expect near fluent speakers after six years of my efforts to teach them. So do you think it is commonly tolerated at high schools in the US when students fail to learn to speak a foreign language after six years? Are there any complaints from students there? How do American high school teachers of French feel about not being able to teach French?

I also have my own personal private inofficial opinion that effective teachers are very very rare. I remember the lessons we were taught
at TEFL course were perfect - professionally flawless. But I have been taught lessons that would not have passed at the course, although they taught me much much more.

What also makes me feel kind of disappointed is that I am not able to explain to my students - those advanced - that a teacher cannot do much at this level - I guess the teacher is responsible for about 20% while hte student for 80. I know very well what it took for me to learn what I know.
Endless, endless hours spent with native speakers talking about all kinds of things, dozens of books, thousands of articles read on the internet, addicted to forums as you can see, watching movies ocassionally, and still, as you can also see, my English is flawed and I struggle to explain what is wrong with the engine of my car in English. ANd as much as in muy native Czech, I am horrible at telling jokes or stories.

I feel I have loads of experience teaching as well as learning English and can help those kids a lot, but I run into their nitpicking, snobbish attitude from time to time and lack of gratitude.

They think I embarrass myself when they ask me about a word, How do you say blablabla in English and I say I don't know. They expect me to know everything and explain everything clearly about all subtleties of English grammar.

I decided to be more cynical about all this criticism from the students this school term and save my evergy for the stuff I do well.

If you have any tips or ideas, drop by and express yourself. Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 738 • Replies: 2
No top replies

stach

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2007 10:24 am
there mus be something wrong with this thread cuz nobody seems to be interested in replying

but all i am asking about is how much can high school students realistically expect from a foreign language teacher (French language in the US, or English in Europe, or German in Japan etc). American teachers seem extremely professional when it comes to education, principles, so it doesn't make much sense why they should not have good results in teaching
French or Spanish to American high school students
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2007 11:03 am
Stach--

A teacher's ego has no place in any classroom.

You have posted many threads on A2K indicating that you want to be liked, respected, trusted, obeyed... I get the feeling that you want your students to appreciate and forgive your own insecurities while they like, respect, trust, obey and.....

Remember, you're a teacher--not a deity.

Whether a student is top drawer or bottom of the barrel learning English from you (or from anyone) is not the most important thing in his/her life. These kids have other classes. They have families. They have friends--and peer pressure. They have hopes and dreams and plans.

You (and the entire English language) occupy a 50 minute (or less) hour on four or five days a week.

Your students may spend time outside class dissing you or speculating about your love life or making fun of your toenails. As long as this behavior is outside your classroom, it is not your concern.

Your credentials were acceptable to whatever governing body hired you. I assume your contract has been renewed at least once.

You should ask yourself why the comments of immature, incompletely informed students bother you so much.
0 Replies