Subjectivity is Failed Objectivity

JLNobody

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 02:27 pm
I'm inclined to hold that they are both wrong in one sense and right in another sense. My reasons--as psychological as they are philosophical-- would take up an entire thread. And they are neither complete nor unambiguous.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 02:36 pm
Have no fear; there IS a world. But it may not be as ready-made as you or I (with our cultural conditioning) think. Our epistemology* may be naive for everyday purposes, but philosophically it must be problematical (a euphemism for "sophisticated").

* There's no getting away from epistemology--about how and why we construe the nature of our world of specific beings**. Ontology studies not so much the nature of specific beings as much as the much more abstract nature/problem of Being itself.

** which are, of course, processes--all "beings" are undergoing change. Even the forces that promote their persistence (retard their rate of change making them look static) are dynamic processes.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 02:43 pm
Break it down into simpler terms, JL.

This aint no college.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 02:44 pm
Osso nods at gus.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 02:45 pm
Mame kicks Walter in the balls.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 02:45 pm
Jesus! Why did I say that?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 02:49 pm
Not getting enough attention, I'd say! And maybe you'd wish I did that to you? Hmmm? Hmmm? Of course, I'd only do it softly.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 02:49 pm
Gus, I understand that this is not a college*, but you must acknowledge that it isn't a swamp either.

* But the topic discussed IS a college type (indeed a graduate college type) of topic. Razz
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 02:53 pm
Mame, I too try to watch what I eat, but the hand is quicker than the eye (referring to your funny sig line).
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 02:53 pm
agrote wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:
Subjective truth is what most humans believe and live by; it's objective to the individual, and that's what matters.

It's only what matters subjectively.

Some humans behave and live by the belief that God exists, and others behave and live by the belief that God does not exist. They can't both be right. One of them is objectively wrong. That's what matters to me.

It's what matters to you, but it doesn't for the individuals who believe there is or there isn't. For them, it's the objective truth.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 02:54 pm
This is some crazy ****.

JL - it's a full-time job Smile
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 03:01 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
agrote wrote:
Some humans behave and live by the belief that God exists, and others behave and live by the belief that God does not exist. They can't both be right. One of them is objectively wrong. That's what matters to me.

It's what matters to you, but it doesn't for the individuals who believe there is or there isn't. For them, it's the objective truth.

The kind of 'truth' you're talking about is the kind of truth the word 'subjective' was invented for. There's no such thing as objective truth for them, or to me. If something is 'objectively' true only to you, then it's really just subjectively 'true'. Subjective means 'to you', or 'for them'.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 03:04 pm
JLNobody wrote:
Have no fear; there IS a world.

A world that contains us, but that would still exist even if it didn't contain us. Right?

Fresco seems to think there isn't such a world. He scares me!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 03:04 pm
It's a philosophical truth.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 03:06 pm
It's a load of ****
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 03:06 pm
I am so pissed right now.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 03:07 pm
Philosophical truth! How dare you, CI!? Get off my plane!!!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

gus, Just don't piss in my beer.
0 Replies

agrote

cicerone imposter wrote:
It's a philosophical truth.

What do you mean by that?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer