Poker - Gambling or Game of Skill?

baddog1

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 10:58 am
Have enjoyed reading as member 'Craven de Kere' keeps us updated with his new career path to poker riches and did not wish to jack that thread.

For many years now I've played various forms of poker and consider it to be a reasonable game of skill. (I agree that there is some luck involved as with nearly all forms of sports.)

There are many who consider poker matches as 'gambling' in the traditional sense. I do not.

Thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,545 • Replies: 11
No top replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 11:09 am
I forget where I heard it put something like this...

Play one hand of poker... it is a game of chance.
Play one hundred hands... it is a game of skill.

Anyone can beat anyone in one hand, but if you play for a while the better player is going to come out on top.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 11:21 am
I've known men to bet on which lump of sugar will be the first to be visited by a fly.

Card players play cards. Gamblers, gamble.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 11:23 am
I likes to play card games of all types Laughing poker one of the favorite ones
0 Replies

elliot22

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 06:16 pm
It's not necessarily gambling.
Firstly, you don't have to play for money and secondly, I usually associate gambling with 80%+ luck or chance.
Poker is majority skill. I've played poker for just over a year, and you do regularly get bad beats, but the pros can't be just good on luck. They must be good players too and if they are regularly winning, then it is obviously to do with skill.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 07:24 pm
I have always thought that anytime you make a bet for money you are gambling.

If you put a bet on a chess game, it is still gambling by my definition.
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 07:13 am
ebrown_p wrote:
I have always thought that anytime you make a bet for money you are gambling.

If you put a bet on a chess game, it is still gambling by my definition.

Good point ebrown. I'd be curious about your thoughts on this example:

There are people who get together at an area lake/river/etc. and each pays an 'entry fee' of say $50. The pot grows as more boats/fishermen enter the tournament. The fishermen then go out in their boats and catch fish for 8 hours or so. At a pre-determined time; the participants bring in their catch of the day (ie: 5-fish) and weigh them. At the end of the weigh-in; the boat with the most weight wins a large % of the pot, second highest weight wins a lesser % and so on. The organizer of the tournament also keeps a portion of the pot for administrative fees.

Is this considered gambling?
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2007 07:27 am
GAME OF SKILL NO DOUBT. i sometimes have fun switching styles after an hour or two of straight up tight-aggressive and literally raking in 2-3000 % profit in a few hours. but i only play 1-3-6 limit with 20$ buy in. LOL, i cant risk anymore at the moment.

the skill in the game is all about risk management, and player reading.
its almost like chess but you can hide your peices. if poker was a game of luck i would lose, but i get pretty good returns, and im consistent in my winnings no matter what style i am using.

i say skill, but you can be beaten with luck. sometimes.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 10:43 pm
Of course it gambling, but it's not nearly as risky as other forms (blackjack, lottery, etc).
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 10:54 pm
I watch the WPT every week. If it wasn't a game of skill, then you wouldn't see the same faces regularly making progress. When you get down to the final two, then luck plays a bigger part. When there's 6 people at the table (and as viewers you can see all the cards) you get to see where the reads, the odds and the skill comes in.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 10:55 pm
That's not to say that it's not gambling. It obviously is. But it's not gambling on pure chance, such as something like roulette is.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2007 07:45 am
In Horse Racing you have the jockey and you have the bettors.

In Poker these roles are combined.
0 Replies