Is fighting illegal if it is consensual?

OGIONIK

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2007 05:22 am
my friends started of boxing, but lately everyone seems to be going without the gloves. i find it entertaining, and i fight sometimes but just for the experience, im not really a fighter so i figured it would be a good idea to practice a little. but i prefer gloves LOL.

but then one of my other friends is all like "damn man didnt you know fight clubs are like a felony?"

i didnt really think much of it until then and i was just lke oh ****, is it really?

does having gloves make a difference in legality?

Is it legal if you both are consenting?

i would think it would be just the same as practicing martial arts or something, but laws dont usually follow logic so im tryin to make sure.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 10,279 • Replies: 14
No top replies

contrex

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2007 06:11 am
I suppose, since you do not specify a jurisdiction, that you are presuming that everybody is in the USA.

In that country, Federal law requires a professional boxing regulatory agency to oversee all matches.

Each state has a Boxing Commission which issues licenses and provides regulations for conducting amateur and professional matches.

bare knuckle fighting is definitely illegal.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2007 06:47 am
LOL, then disregard this post. and i have no affiliations with boxing and/or bare knuckle fighting. this was hypothetical. Razz

thats sort of wierd, you would think we would be able to do what we want with our own bodies. damn its like a fuckin nanny state up in hurr.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2007 06:48 am
one more question , what about sparring? is that considered a "match"?
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2007 06:49 am
nevermind, i give up on caring about laws.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2007 06:56 am
Seriously, who cares? Unless you guys are that stupid to be doing it at the park. But from the sound of it...

But if they're all skinny 100lb wiggers nobody's getting hurt by those punches anyway.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2007 07:23 am
its mostly marines..

im the only 100 pound wigger there Razz
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2007 07:29 am
oh and i was asking because we box in the backyard, and its a chain link fence but i have always been boxing and never thought it might be illegal.

then its like "felony" and its like oh.. oops.

by the way,where do i go to find out whats legal and illegal?

is there an official state by state website somewhere?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2007 07:47 am
This site might help:

http://boxing.nv.gov/regs.htm

I started knowing nothing....then I Goggled...voila!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2007 01:14 pm
Re: Is fighting illegal if it is consensual?
OGIONIK wrote:
my friends started of boxing, but lately everyone seems to be going without the gloves. i find it entertaining, and i fight sometimes but just for the experience, im not really a fighter so i figured it would be a good idea to practice a little. but i prefer gloves LOL.

but then one of my other friends is all like "damn man didnt you know fight clubs are like a felony?"

i didnt really think much of it until then and i was just lke oh ****, is it really?

does having gloves make a difference in legality?

Is it legal if you both are consenting?

i would think it would be just the same as practicing martial arts or something, but laws dont usually follow logic so im tryin to make sure.

It doesn't really have much to do with whether or not the fighters are wearing gloves.

Fighting for sport (which is what boxing, with or without gloves, is) is regulated so you can't hold a contest without a proper license. The illegality comes from fighting without a license - not fighting itself.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2007 02:04 pm
are these matches, and is there money/betting involved?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2007 02:30 pm
Is admission charged?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2007 05:09 pm
Check with a local attorney. In Wisconsin, last I heard, one of the requirements for the State to charge battery is "without consent". Unless there is a show, promotion, gambling etc; I wouldn't think it's illegal for two guys to spar at all. If you are doing it for sport... like training for a UFC match or something... I doubt the state has any legitimate interest... unless there is a special statute created to cover it. Of course; if alcohol is involved or other factors that would lead the police to believe you weren't just sparring; you could still get hosed.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2007 05:32 pm
0 Replies

Bossox

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 04:46 pm
I'm not 100% sure but you could probably be charged with crimes against the state. Disorderly conduct, possibly assault, disturbing the peace etc... mostly order maintainance crimes. The conesenual part should only play into a civil perspective as in no crime was committed against another person, however because the state says its illegal, the crimes would be committed against the state.

Take this situation:

A teenager in a suburb of Rhode Island is leaving with his family for the weekend. He leaves a friend a key to his house. The friend brings people over to the house, using the key to gain acess and the police come and charge him and the others with breaking and entering. The parents and owners of the house did not want to charge the teenagers but the kids were tried for crimes committed against the state.
0 Replies