Chumly

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2007 02:09 pm
For those of religious and/or spiritual inclination:

Do you believe your faith provides you with truth?
If so how do you define this truth?
Quote:
While a common dictionary definition of truth is "agreement with fact or reality,"[1] there is no single definition of truth about which the majority of philosophers agree. Various theories of truth, usually involving different definitions, continue to be debated. There are differing claims on such questions as what constitutes truth; how to define and identify truth; what roles do revealed and acquired knowledge play; and whether truth is subjective, relative, objective, or absolute.

Truth
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,724 • Replies: 80
No top replies

kate4christ03

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2007 01:57 pm
ok i'll bite.....

i believe that my faith does provide me with truth, not because my pastor tells me something or my family etc but because ( and i have discussed this a bit in another thread) i believe and follow God's words and the HOly Spirit guides me. I believe in absolute truth, not relative truth. There is a great article if you would like to read it on christianity and absolute/relative truth.

http://www.ankerberg.com/Articles/theological-dictionary/TD1099W3.htm

what about you? what is your belief on truth?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2007 06:11 pm
There are no truths outside the gates of Eden.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2007 06:49 pm
kate4christ03 wrote:
what about you? what is your belief on truth?
I don't have a religious and/or spiritual inclination, so I can't claim such faith provides me with truth, and I try not to adhere to belief as it relates to truth, however (arguably) at some level to some degree such truths I hold must become axiomatic as referenced by the Wikipedia link.

For those of religious and/or spiritual inclination faith derived truth cannot (with anywhere near the same ease) be argued to be axiomatic.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2007 06:52 pm
You want the truth

YOU WANT THE TRUTH

YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH

well somebody had to say it Very Happy
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2007 06:57 pm
spendius wrote:
There are no truths outside the gates of Eden.
Have you been inside the gates of Eden - at least when you were efficacious?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2007 06:59 pm
djjd62 wrote:
You want the truth

YOU WANT THE TRUTH

YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH

well somebody had to say it Very Happy
I would float away like old skin cells in the dirty bath water, or shatter like the remnants of romantic pre-pubescent idealizations.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2007 12:27 am
God loves you!
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2007 02:51 am
"The truth is obscure, too profound and too pure,
To live it you have to explode."

Bob Dylan.
0 Replies

Scott777ab

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2007 03:01 pm
I refer you all to page 18 of this forum.
How do we know that Christians are Delusional?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2007 03:35 pm
spendius wrote:
"The truth is obscure, too profound and too pure,
To live it you have to explode."

Bob Dylan.
Well that explains Islamic suicide bombers!
0 Replies

Scott777ab

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2007 03:39 pm
Re: Truth
Chumly wrote:
For those of religious and/or spiritual inclination:

Do you believe your faith provides you with truth?
If so how do you define this truth?

Why does truth need to be defined, it should instead be believed in, simply because it is the truth, whatever that actually may or may not be.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2007 05:24 pm
This will help with your rhetoric.
Quote:
While a common dictionary definition of truth is "agreement with fact or reality,"[1] there is no single definition of truth about which the majority of philosophers agree. Various theories of truth, usually involving different definitions, continue to be debated. There are differing claims on such questions as what constitutes truth; how to define and identify truth; what roles do revealed and acquired knowledge play; and whether truth is subjective, relative, objective, or absolute.
Truth
0 Replies

echi

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2007 05:36 pm
bm
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 01:34 am
http://www.jraxis.com/atheism/simulator/
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 07:00 am
When it comes to spiritual truth, which is understood primarily through circumstantial and anecdotal evidence, Paul's words at 1Corinthians 13:5 have good application: "Keep testing whether YOU are in the faith, keep proving what YOU yourselves are."

When Jesus spoke to his disciples about his flesh and blood in the latter part of the 6th chapter of John, many were stumbled and left Jesus. When Jesus asked those remaining ""YOU do not want to go also, do YOU?" 68 Simon Peter answered him: "Lord, whom shall we go away to?"" (John 6:67,68)

Whenever I have doubts, all I have to do is look outside my faith. Nothing compares with what I have found.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 07:56 am
neologist wrote:
Whenever I have doubts, all I have to do is look outside my faith. Nothing compares with what I have found.
You might try looking at the doubts, themselves - they may be trying to tell you something.
0 Replies

lab rat

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 08:49 am
I believe in an absolute, infallible truth; in the New Testament, Jesus explicitly states "I am the Truth". So, the only way to discover this real "Truth" is to seek to know God through Jesus. This type of Truth would encompass unchangeable realities such as the nature of God (and its opposite, sin), His purpose for us, His sovereignty, etc.
I also believe, though, that there is such a thing as temporal truth (physical realities such as scientific facts, etc.) that the human mind is better able to grasp without the requirement of faith.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 08:57 am
echi wrote:
neologist wrote:
You might try looking at the doubts, themselves - they may be trying to tell you something.
You may have presumed that I ignore the doubts. That is not the case. The statement by Peter quoted in my above continues. "You have sayings of everlasting life; 69 and we have believed and come to know that you are the Holy One of God." (John 60:68,69). His belief did not come from credulity, but from the things he saw. Though he did not understand what Jesus said, he knew the explanation would come in time.

One thing about my faith that I do not believe any others can claim: Any place I go in the world, any place, I will find other members of my faith proclaiming the same message and willing to receive me as if I was a long lost family member. There is complete trust between races and nationalities. This reciprocation is universal.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 12:06 pm
I don't understand, neo. Do you respect your doubts? Do you give them full consideration?
0 Replies