"Sunday in New York," 1963

sozobe

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 06:58 pm
I watched the last 2/3rds of this after coming across it accidentally on TV. Maybe because I had zero expectations -- I recognized actors (a very young Jane Fonda, "that guy from 'I Spy'" who turned out to be Robert Culp, "that guy from 'Gilligan's Island'" who turned out to be Jim Backus, etc.) but didn't have any idea what film it was -- it was an amazing surprise.

It was so much fun! It was SO 1963 and hence pretty dated, but the actors were great and the comic timing was amazing. I looked it up after it ended and found out that it's an obscure but much beloved movie.

Has anyone else heard of it, or seen it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 811 • Replies: 8
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 07:10 pm
Of course, silly! (I was univ '63, but got out in '64.) I'll have to go look at reviews to refresh my memory. Redford wasn't in that?

Actually, who knows if I saw it, I also read movie reviews like crazy back then.

Meantime, you've been away from posting, nice to see you back.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 07:19 pm
Re: "Sunday in New York," 1963
sozobe wrote:
I watched the last 2/3rds of this after coming across it accidentally on TV. Maybe because I had zero expectations -- I recognized actors (a very young Jane Fonda, "that guy from 'I Spy'" who turned out to be Robert Culp, "that guy from 'Gilligan's Island'" who turned out to be Jim Backus, etc.) but didn't have any idea what film it was -- it was an amazing surprise.

It was so much fun! It was SO 1963 and hence pretty dated, but the actors were great and the comic timing was amazing. I looked it up after it ended and found out that it's an obscure but much beloved movie.

Has anyone else heard of it, or seen it?

You might also like Barefoot in the Park.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 07:24 pm
Yeh, I just figured out I was mixing it up with Barefoot in the Park.

Haven't read the reviews on here yet, to clue me in if I've seen it.

a2k amazon link to Sunday in New York
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 07:29 pm
Peter Nero...

I liked something about Peter Nero.. pianist, if I remember..

My father liked Cliff Robertson. Might or might not have been related to politics or that he thought he was a good actor or an upright guy, a matter I can't chat with him about now.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 07:48 pm
Peter Nero...

I liked something about Peter Nero.. pianist, if I remember..

My father liked Cliff Robertson. Might or might not have been related to politics or that he thought he was a good actor or an upright guy, a matter I can't chat with him about now.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 07:52 pm
Hard, at first try, to find old newspaper reviews of the movie, say in NY or LA, or otherwise. I've noticed this on books as well. Why, exactly, are reviews so hard to find? Am I looking in the wrong places, or is all history of reviews propietary in some way? Or are they buried 335,456 links back?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 06:49 am
Yeah, I had a hard time finding reviews, too. Amazon is where I eventually found a collection of short user reviews, all glowing.

"Barefoot in the Park" I've heard of, though I've never seen. This one was completely new to me though.

One thing I liked about it is that there was actual suspense. Spoilers follow... Usually the choices are so obvious -- the fiance is a jerk, the new guy's perfect, it's just about whether the heroine has enough guts to buck convention, let down her family, yadda yadda... This was much more subtle. The fiance is handsome and rich and not a jerk, just Very Enthusiastic and somewhat clueless. And the other guy sees that the heroine really loves the fiance, and genuinely tries to keep them together. So I really didn't know how it would wind up -- it seemed to be a happy ending when she went ahead and told the fiance what happened, and he took it well.

Peter Nero was in it, yes. Several reviews say that the soundtrack was fabulous.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 07:30 am
I love this movie. It used to come on tv often when i was a teenager and young adult. I taped it back in the 80's and still have that battered copy. Was Jane Fonda not absolutely gorgeous here? Just beautiful.

It's very dated in just about every way but having protective older brothers myself, I love the scene in the Japanese restaurant when Cliff Robertson punches the piss out of Rod Taylor's character for the big fat lie that he and Jane Fonda tells both him and her fiance Robert Culp. He doesn't say a word, he just waits for his moment and then coldcocks him! Cause that's what big brothers do.Very Happy

Ahhh, memories...

Soz, if you liked this, you would loooove "Barefoot in the Park".
0 Replies