NAACP Supports Vick

Miller

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 12:00 pm
NAACP supports Vick
Says QB should be allowed back in NFL

August 23, 2007

An NAACP leader believes Michael Vick should be allowed to return to the NFL, preferably the Atlanta Falcons, after serving his prison sentence for his role in a dogfighting operation.

"As a society, we should aid in his rehabilitation and welcome a new Michael Vick back into the community without a permanent loss of his career in football," said R.L. White, president of the NAACP's Atlanta chapter, yesterday. "We further ask the NFL, Falcons, and the sponsors not to permanently ban Mr. Vick from his ability to bring hours of enjoyment to fans all over this country."

White said the Falcons quarterback made a mistake and should be allowed to prove he has learned from that mistake. On Monday, Vick said through a lawyer that he will plead guilty to a federal charge of conspiracy to travel in interstate commerce in aid of unlawful activities and conspiracy to sponsor a dog in an animal fighting venture.

White said the Atlanta chapter supports Vick's decision to accept a plea bargain if it's in his best interest, but he questioned the credibility of Vick's codefendants, saying an admission of guilt might be more about cutting losses than the truth.

"Some have said things to save their own necks," White said. "Michael Vick has received more negative press than if he had killed a human being."

White added he does not support dogfighting, and that he considers it as bad as hunting. But NBA star Stephon Marbury thinks they are similar.

"I think it's tough," the New York Knicks guard told an Albany (N.Y.) TV station. "I think, you know, we don't say anything about people who shoot deer or shoot other animals. You know, from what I hear, dogfighting is a sport. It's just behind closed doors."

"I think it's tough that we build Michael Vick up and then we break him down," Marbury added. "I think he's one of the superb athletes, and he's a good human being. I just think that he fell into a bad situation."

In other news on the Vick front, the dozens of pit bulls seized from his property in Virginia face a deadline today to be claimed. Though US District Judge Henry E. Hudson, who also is handling Vick's criminal case, will determine what becomes of the pit bulls, they are likely to be euthanized because they're not adoptable as pets.

Boston Globe
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,629 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 12:19 pm
Is R.L. White speaking as an individual or as a spokesman for the NAACP?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 12:21 pm
He's speaking on behalf of the NAACP.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 01:09 pm
I wonder what the NAACP's stand would be if he were white?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 01:11 pm
So do I.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2007 04:13 pm
I have 2 great dogs, and I hate what Vick did.

But assuming he serves his time, I have to agree that he should be allowed to go back to work. You break the law you get punished, you do your punishment, you repay your debt, but afterwards......

I'm a white male in case it matters.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2007 05:06 pm
I also agree with the NAACP and maporche (and I am also a white male).

After he serves his time, he should be allowed to go on with his life.
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2007 08:54 am
ebrown_p wrote:
I also agree with the NAACP and maporche (and I am also a white male).

After he serves his time, he should be allowed to go on with his life.

White male here. I think the guy is despicable and a dreadful example of how a professional athlete should conduct themselves. However I'm with ebrown & maporsche on this one: After serving his time, his debt to society is honored and he should be allowed to go on with his life. Hopefully he will be a more productive human being by then.
0 Replies