IP address questions

TTH

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 07:21 am
1) In the USA doesn't each computer have its own IP address?

2) Can a person just change the IP address on their computer?

3) Also, what does it mean when an IP address has the words "misconfigured sender" after it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 777 • Replies: 18
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 07:31 am
Nowadays, nearly all computers on a network have an IP address. (There are still a few places that use old network protocols.)

Each IP address in a network must be unique. If your network needs to connect to someone else's network, you can use Network Address Translation. Therefor, your address only has to be unique on your network.

Yes, you can change the IP address but it might cause disruptions. (And you have to have administrative privileges.)

I'll need more info about the "misconfigured sender" message. Where did you see it?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 07:31 am
Are you trying to track down the sender of an E-mail?
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 07:41 am
According to my service provider I can only have 1 IP address. If I want more, I have to pay for them. The "misconfigured sender" shows up after the IP address on some emails I get. I am not trying to track anyone down.

I will see if I can find one that shows "misconfigured sender"
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 07:43 am
If you have broadband (DSL, Cable, etc.) you can go get a router that will perform Network Address Translation. You can put multiple machines behind the router and only use the one IP address from you ISP.

There's actually a device that will do this for dial-up as well, but it's only useful in rural areas where there is no broadband.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 07:53 am
DrewDad wrote:
If you have broadband (DSL, Cable, etc.) you can go get a router that will perform Network Address Translation. You can put multiple machines behind the router and only use the one IP address from you ISP.
This router you mentioned, is it for looking up someone's
address? I don't quite understand what you mean.

Here is where I see "misconfigured sender" and I x'd out the IP address and also a number in case it compromises someone's identity.

Received: from imo-m#.mail.aol.com (imo-m#.mx.aol.com[xx.xx.xxx.xxx](misconfigured sender))

Edit: I am pretty sure I have a router, I just don't know what it does.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 10:55 pm
Can anyone answer #3 for me?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 07:15 am
"Misconfigured Sender" just means that the sending mail server's IP address could not be verified.

The router has nothing to do with looking up IP addresses. The router allows you to have multiple computers share one IP address for the Internet.
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 07:27 am
DrewDad wrote:
"Misconfigured Sender" just means that the sending mail server's IP address could not be verified.

The router has nothing to do with looking up IP addresses. The router allows you to have multiple computers share one IP address for the Internet.

I just got a router so that my son can finally have internet in his bedroom.
Will he have the same IP as our "main" computer? I asssumed that he would. We have DSL.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 08:07 am
The IP address that the rest of the world sees will be the same address, yes.
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 08:08 am
thanks DrewDad
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 08:09 am
What are multiple IP addresses good for? Is that anything I (or any other Joe Schmoe who just uses internet at home or work) should be paying attention to?
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 08:11 am
dagmaraka wrote:
What are multiple IP addresses good for? Is that anything I (or any other Joe Schmoe who just uses internet at home or work) should be paying attention to?

well, they're good for getting back on that local message board that's banned you for life......

oh, did I say that out loud?
:wink:
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 08:23 am
ah... so that you're like....somebody else to the computer world or so....i get it. so nothing i really need to know about. that's good. my brain is too cluttered anyway.
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 08:25 am
dagmaraka wrote:
ah... so that you're like....somebody else to the computer world or so....i get it. so nothing i really need to know about. that's good. my brain is too cluttered anyway.

I think your IP address is like your computer DNA.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 09:05 am
You usually have one IP address that "the internet" sees. That IP is assigned by your Internet provider. In most cases you are assigned the IP address for a set amount of time. When that time expires your provider assigns another IP address. Your internet provider recognizes you by your user name and password. Your connection to the internet is through your provider. The provider has to be able to set your IP address so they can direct packets to your computer, modem or router that is acting as your primary access point.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 09:21 am
dagmaraka wrote:
What are multiple IP addresses good for?
Quote:

Multiple IPs are usually only needed in business use. Businesses often need addresses for multiple web servers, mail servers, remote access servers, etc.

dagmaraka wrote:
Is that anything I (or any other Joe Schmoe who just uses internet at home or work) should be paying attention to?

Not really.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 09:23 am
happycat wrote:
dagmaraka wrote:

well, they're good for getting back on that local message board that's banned you for life......

oh, did I say that out loud?
:wink:

I usually get a new address whenever I reboot my cable modem. Most connections for home use are dynamic addresses.

You might try turning you cable modem/dsl box off while you go to work, and powering up again when you get home. Leaving it off for a longer period of time gives more chance of someone else picking up the old address.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 11:57 pm
Thank you for your explanations DrewDad and parados.
0 Replies