Philosophy is nothing but personal ideology/propaganda

Chumly

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 02:53 pm
agrote wrote:
Okay. I still disagree, but supposing you're right, we can still understand true facts about the meanings or consequences of theories.
In as much as one can say that if anything is true, than something must be true in consequence. Rather circular and perhaps a bit bereft of consequential substance, me thinks.

agrote wrote:
For example, even though intelligent design is (I will assume, for the sake of argument) a false theory, it is still true that the world would be a different place if intelligent design were true. So there are facts about what the world would be like if intelligent design were true. Since these facts are true, by your definition we can understand them.
agrote wrote:
ng consideration be classified as a fact per se, I think it would be more apropos to consider it a condition based on a supposition than a fact per se.

agrote wrote:
So we can understand what the world would be like if intelligent design were true. In my books, that is tantamount to understanding the (false) theory of intelligent design.
Your analogy presumes that there can be an understanding of intelligent design and given that intelligent design refers to the supernatural and man is of the natural world and not supernatural world (assuming there is such a thing) I am dubious that there can be an understanding of intelligent design per se.

Based on the assumption that I am dealing with a reasonably rational and logical poster then to some fair degree such discussions may come down to perception and semantics. It's good fun if nothing else!
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 02:55 pm
This is some crazy ****.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 02:58 pm
Damn I posted without proper editing and my buddy Mame has fixed it permanently! I'll redo below.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 03:13 pm
agrote wrote:
Okay. I still disagree, but supposing you're right, we can still understand true facts about the meanings or consequences of theories.
In as much as one can say that if anything is true, than something must be true in consequence. Rather circular and perhaps a bit bereft of consequential substance, me thinks. OTOH I am an avid fan of SF so who am I to talk! However it's Hard SF that appeals to me the most so perhaps I'm at least partially exonerated Smile Then again I am not willing to say Hard SF is factual per se despite me being able to understand the so-called "true facts about the meanings or consequences" of Hard SF.
agrote wrote:
For example, even though intelligent design is (I will assume, for the sake of argument) a false theory, it is still true that the world would be a different place if intelligent design were true. So there are facts about what the world would be like if intelligent design were true. Since these facts are true, by your definition we can understand them.
The question is, can this be classified as a so-called "true fact" per se? I think it would be more apropos to consider it a general condition based on a supposition rather than a "true fact" per se.
agrote wrote:
So we can understand what the world would be like if intelligent design were true. In my books, that is tantamount to understanding the (false) theory of intelligent design.
Your analogy presumes there can be an understanding of intelligent design, and given that intelligent design refers to the supernatural world, and man is of the natural world, I am dubious that there can be an understanding per se of intelligent design.

Based on the understanding (!) that I am dealing with a reasonably rational and logical poster then to some fair degree such discussions may come down to perception and semantics. It's good fun if nothing else, plus it amuses Mame!
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 03:49 pm
Sorry this is so long...

Quote:
Chumly wrote:
agrote wrote:
In as much as one can say that if anything is true, than something must be true in consequence. Rather circular and perhaps a bit bereft of consequential substance, me thinks.

I'm not saying that "if anything is true, something else must be true in consequence". I'm saying that if anything is true, then the world must be such that it is true. A true proposition requires a truthmaker. If it's true that the cat is sat on the mat, then the cat must be sat on the mat. Truth of a proposition (or theory) is correspondence to a fact (or state of affairs). This is the correspondence theory of truth... but not everybody agrees with it, of course.

So if the theory of intelligent design is true, then it is a fact that there is/was an intelligent designer. And my previous sentence itself is (I think) a true proposition. So by your definition of understanding, it is the sort of proposition that one can understand. You are able to understand that if the theory of intelligent desing is true, then there must be (or have been) an intelligent designer.

If I make my conditional proposition more detailed, I can produce another true proposition, the understanding of which looks a hell of a lot like the understanding of the theory of intelligent design. I'll have a go...

If intelligent design is true, then the entire universe was created by a being which was intelligent, in that it had the sorts of qualities that we believe make certain human beings intelligent, such as a capacity for foresight.

The above sentence true (I think... if not, I'm sure you could come up with a true equivalent). So you can understand it. And it seems to me that to understand the above sentence is, basically, to understand the theory of intelligent design.

Quote:
OTOH I am an avid fan of SF so who am I to talk! However it's Hard SF that appeals to me the most so perhaps I'm at least partially exonerated Smile Then again I am not willing to say Hard SF is factual per se despite me being able to understand the so-called "true facts about the meanings or consequences" of Hard SF.

What's SF?

Quote:
agrote wrote:
The question is, can this be classified as a so-called "true fact" per se? I think it would be more apropos to consider it a general condition based on a supposition rather than a "true fact" per se.

It's a conditional. I'll try to outline the elementary logic that I'm relying on here:

- A conditional is a type of proposition of the form 'if X, then Y'.
- A proposition is a statement which attempts to describe reality, and which can be either true or false (true if it describes a real fact, and false if it does not).
- For a conditional of the form 'if X, then Y' to be true, Y must be true in every case where X is true.
- If there is a case where X is true and Y is false, then 'if X, then Y' must be false. That is the only way that a conditional can be falsified - by pointing to a case where the antecedent X is true, yet the consequent Y is false.

In my conditional:
X = 'intelligent design is true'
Y = 'the entire universe was created by a being which was intelligent, in that it had the sorts of qualities that we believe make certain human beings intelligent, such as a capacity for foresight'

If X, then Y. The only way you can falsify this conditional is by pointing to a scenario in which X is true, but Y is not. I.e. if (and only if) it is possible for intelligent design to be true and for there to be no intelligent designer as I have described, then my conditional is false. Otherwise it is true.

If it is false, then I'm sure we'd be able to improve upon it until it is true. Or we could use a different false theory as an example, and come up with a true conditional about that.

If it is true, then by your understanding of understanding, you can understand it. I'll make that clearer. You claimed that we can only understand things that are true. So if my conditional is true, I can't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to understand it.

If you can understand it, then I reckon you pretty much understand the theory of intelligent design. You know what the world would be like if the theory were true... what more can I ask for? Surely then you understand the theory?

Quote:
Your analogy presumes that can be an understanding of intelligent design, and given that intelligent design refers to the supernatural, and man is of the natural world and not supernatural world I am dubious that there can be an understanding of intelligent design per se.

That's quite reasonable. But there are false theories which are not supernatural. So maybe I should have used a better example... that's all.

Quote:
Based on the understanding (!) that I am dealing with a reasonably rational and logical poster then to some fair degree such discussions may come down to perception and semantics. It's good fun if nothing else, plus it amuses Mame!

Aye, it's all fun and games.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 03:54 pm
As I see it, one can understand a false theory, but one cannot be enlightened by it.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 04:44 pm
agrote wrote:
Sorry this is so long...
What you want forgiveness now Smile
agrote wrote:
What's SF?
Speculative Fiction: a term more enlightened affectionados use for what was once called Science Fiction. Hard SF is particular brand of SF that emphasizes the extrapolation of known science and philosophy in a (hopefully) plausible manner.

Hence the connection to your views: "we can still understand true facts about the meanings or consequences of theories" and my wonderfully measured response: "I am not willing to say Hard SF is factual per se despite me being able to understand the so-called "true facts about the meanings or consequences" of Hard SF.

A lot of popular so-called "SF" is in fact horror-soap-opera-fantasy with a veneer of pseudo-science. It would not fit my criteria for either SF or Hard SF.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 05:36 pm
Chumly wrote:
Hence the connection to your views: "we can still understand true facts about the meanings or consequences of theories" and my wonderfully measured response: "I am not willing to say Hard SF is factual per se despite me being able to understand the so-called "true facts about the meanings or consequences" of Hard SF.

Okay. But you understand Hard SF. It'd fiction, it's false, but you understand it.

What abotu everything else I said? That post took me ten whole minutes to write!
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 09:00 pm
agrote wrote:
But you understand Hard SF. It'd fiction, it's false, but you understand it.
I do not understand it in the sense the I believe it to be true.What about everything else I said? That post took me ten whole minutes to write![/quote]Do you fell you added something new to your arguments because if not the the specter of the logical fallacy called argument from repetition rears it ugly head. Naturally I never fall prey to such foibles..

If you feel you have added something new it would be expedient / helpful / kindly to put it to the point.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 09:01 pm
Agrote, I'm sorry I didn't read your long post. My major reason for participating in these philosophical threads is the exercise they provide my aging (and retired) brain. But that was a bit much. I'll get to it eventually some morning when I'm fresh.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 09:06 pm
Oops JLN posted before I had a chance to clean up my response so I've re-posted!
agrote wrote:
But you understand Hard SF. It's fiction, it's false, but you understand it.
I do not understand it in the sense that I believe it to be true. I understand it in the sense of entertainment, potential enlightenment, and future potentiality. As to your views of Hard SF's falseness, that assertion is not on as firm ground as you would appear to make out; thus if you had a better understanding of some of the intent behind some Hard SF you might see beyond the label of fiction.
agrote wrote:
What about everything else I said? That post took me ten whole minutes to write!
Do you feel you added something new to your arguments? If not, then the specter of the logical fallacy called argument from repetition rears it ugly head, naturally I never fall prey to such foibles.

If you feel you have added something new, it would be expedient / helpful / kindly to put it to the point.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2007 01:18 am
Chumly wrote:
agrote wrote:
What about everything else I said? That post took me ten whole minutes to write!
Do you feel you added something new to your arguments? If not, then the specter of the logical fallacy called argument from repetition rears it ugly head, naturally I never fall prey to such foibles.

If you feel you have added something new, it would be expedient / helpful / kindly to put it to the point.

Well, I added clarification. You seemed to have misunderstood my argument, so I tried to explain it to you in more detail. You were denying that conditionals, about what the world would be like if a theory were true, could be 'true facts'. I explained that they can be. I don't know whether I can make it more to the point. How about I just paste the most important bit...

Have you any objection to the following?

In my conditional:
X = 'intelligent design is true'
Y = 'the entire universe was created by a being which was intelligent, in that it had the sorts of qualities that we believe make certain human beings intelligent, such as a capacity for foresight'

If X, then Y. The only way you can falsify this conditional is by pointing to a scenario in which X is true, but Y is not. I.e. if (and only if) it is possible for intelligent design to be true and for there to be no intelligent designer as I have just described, then my conditional is false. Otherwise it is true.

If it is false, then I'm sure we'd be able to improve upon it until it is true. Or we could use a different false theory as an example, and come up with a true conditional about that. Suffice it to say that there are true conditionals about false theories.

If it is true, then by your understanding of understanding, you can understand it. I'll make that clearer. You claimed that we can only understand things that are true. So if my conditional is true, I can't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to understand it.

If you can understand it, then I reckon you pretty much understand the theory of intelligent design. You know what the world would be like if the theory were true... what more can I ask for? Surely then you understand the theory?
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2007 01:51 am
agrote,

I have avoided this quagmire because it plays into the hands of our loony friend who wants to equate "meaning" (understanding) wth "logic" and "truth". The association is asymmetrical. Truth and logic are concepts and processes which serve understanding by allowing for assimilation of a (new) theory into an existing semantic network, or for reconstructing part of that network (accommodation),but they do not account for acts of intuition which formulate a new theory. These often arise from questioning the axioms of a hitherto accepted system of understanding (since as Godel showed all systems have at least one axiom whose "truth" is assumed), or they might arise by extrapolation from a "successful model" to pastures new (e.g. the application of the heliocentric model for the solar system to early theories of atomic structure). Here the assimilation (understanding) is by analogy.

I do not claim these are exhaustive accounts of "theory generation" but the point made (by JLN I think) is that for a theory to be stated at all it must be "meaningful" i.e. related positively or negatively to "the known".
In short we cannot use "truth" and "logic" as the primary tests for "understanding".
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2007 01:08 pm
Hi agrote,

No I don't think I have misunderstood your argument, and nope I am not "denying that conditionals, about what the world would be like if a theory were true, could be 'true facts'."

You have paraphrased my claims out of of their original context i.e. (specifically) the theory is false but you believe it to be true & i.e. (in the more general sense as fresco put it aptly)"we cannot use "truth" and "logic" as the primary tests for understanding".
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2007 01:17 pm
Chumly wrote:
No I don't think I have misunderstood your argument, and nope I am not "denying that conditionals, about what the world would be like if a theory were true, could be 'true facts'."

Oh, okay. I'm glad.

Quote:
You have paraphrased my claims out of of their original context i.e. (specifically) the theory is false but you believe it to be true

I had forgotten about that premise, yes. But does it make a difference?

Quote:
& i.e. "we cannot use "truth" and "logic" as the primary tests for "understanding" (in the more general sense as fresco put it aptly).

I would have thought you would disagree with that statement.

Let's get things straight... you do still beleive that one cannot understand a theory unless it is true. Right?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2007 02:32 pm
Fresco, as you know I've always considered logic to be a way of avoiding the cancellation-by-contradiction of our own utterances rather than a tool for generating theory and understanding (except, as you note, by logical extrapolation from one "successful" theory to a new one). To me it is intuition that most often does the early work in the generation of a testable hypothesis or even a metaphysical speculation. I may even memorize a mathematical principle or philosophical theory and use them correctly, but not truly understand them until an intuitive event has occured regarding them. Before that event my use of them will probably be mechanical and superficial. SO, intuition may be involved in both the beginning and the end of an intellectual effort.
Some people consider intuition to be unconscious logical work. That may be true--and I do consider an intuitive insight to often be based on the fusion of a wide range of less than conscious notions--but the term, intuition, is generally meant to see directly into a phenomenon or problem directly, and I might add mysteriously but seriously--a shame that "intuition" is treated as some kind of New Age methodology. It's an aspect of both our ordinary and heroric mental lives.

Aha! I "see", said the blind man.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2007 04:09 pm
agrote wrote:
Let's get things straight... you do still beleive that one cannot understand a theory unless it is true. Right?
Show me where I said precisely such in the context you infer because you are now for all appearance mired in the logical fallacy of argumentum ad nauseam plus the logical fallacy of the straw man argument.
agrote wrote:
I would have thought you would disagree with that statement.
The primary tests for "understanding" would be empiricism within the context of my views not yours. Again there is nothing new in what I am saying and your posts to me simply push you further into the logical fallacy of argumentum ad nauseam. This is precisely why I asked you
Chumly wrote:
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2007 04:23 pm
Chumly wrote:
agrote wrote:
Show me where I said precisely such in the context you infer...

Is that necessary? If you're implying that you didn't say it, then your answer is no. Right?

Quote:
the logical fallacy of argumentum ad nauseam

What is that, exactly? A posh way of saying, "you keep repeating yourself and I'm getting bored now".
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2007 04:36 pm
agrote wrote:
Is that necessary? If you're implying that you didn't say it, then your answer is no. Right?
You made the claim as to what you think I believe, you are responsible for your own claims.
agrote wrote:
What is that, exactly? A posh way of saying, "you keep repeating yourself and I'm getting bored now".
I suggest you are able to assess the definition for yourself.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2007 05:03 pm
Chumly wrote:
agrote wrote:
You made the claim as to what you think I believe, you are responsible for your own claims.

And you are responsible for my claim's truth, since it is a claim about what you believe. Do you believe it or not???

Quote:
agrote wrote:
I suggest you are able to assess the definition for yourself.

Okay, well let me correct you then. Smile I'm not sure what it means. Did I guess right?
0 Replies