This is a serious question about flushing Australia toilets

Robin07

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 02:16 am
I live in Canada. Here the toilets flush in a counter clock-wise direction. I'm aware that many watches are now digital and some people don't know what direction that is. So, to be as clear as possible, counter clock-wise is, if you are looking at a round ball and you follow your eyes from the top of the ball and move to the left, that is counter clock-wise. I applogize to the people that all ready knew that.

I would like you to go to your toilet and put a piece of toilet paper in the water and flush it down. I'm asking your you to actually do this because I've asked people here in Canada and you'll get both counter and clock-wise answers and that's only because they didn't check before they answered.

I've been working with electromagnetisium and I've found that if you wind wire around in a ball shape, like the Earth, the electromagnetic field changes its direction when it reaches past the equatorial region. This doesn't follow the right hand rule and it's quite strange. Hence, I need to find out if water does the same thing.

So, if a good portion of Australians on this forum could help me out in this I may be able to find some consistancy in the nature of things.

Thanks Everyone
Robin07

Oh, please don't flush too many times, I understand that Australia is having the worst drawt ever.

Thanks again
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,662 • Replies: 24
No top replies

contrex

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 07:33 am
You are probably thinking of the Coriolis Effect.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 07:41 am
The effect is, apparently, too small to be measured in the average loo.

It is said you need a large volume of water, that us utterly still...and still, unpredictable elements (a la chaos theory) affect the result.

Your friends with the bits of paper are likely accurate observers.

You so can't mean this as a serious question!

Just you wait..........see what happens to your question.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 08:00 am
It still goes counter-clockwise. It's just that they're looking at it upside-down.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 08:14 am
DrewDad wrote:
It still goes counter-clockwise. It's just that they're looking at it upside-down.

Aren't.
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 09:32 am
Robin wrote, "I live in Canada"
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 04:37 pm
It's not just the water that goes down a drain in different directions, but the air travels in generally different directions (look at a world map of major air currents). The easiest way to see it though, is to look at weather maps of Cyclones and Hurricanes...the air definitely travels in different directions.

A loo may not answer your question, but a bath will.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 04:46 pm
This is an urban legend. Neither a normal toilet or a bath will show any difference.

The Coriolis effect is too small and there are so many other factors that affect how water drains that this is insignificant.

http://www.snopes.com/science/coriolis.asp

http://www.ems.psu.edu/~fraser/Bad/BadCoriolis.html
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 04:50 pm
Would someone down there just please go flush the damn toilet and tell us which way it goes!

I thank you, kindly.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 04:51 pm
http://www.smh.com.au/news/big-questions/if-a-hurricane-rotates-in-one-direction-and-a-cyclone-rotates-inthe-other-what-happens-if-they-cross-the-equator/2005/09/15/1126750065686.html
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 04:55 pm
You outbackers just can't follow directions, can ya?

Geesh.

GO FLUSH THE TOILET.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 04:56 pm
PS thanks for the link EP Brown
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 05:00 pm
Oh.... I forgot to post one more link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2LzXCrDHuI
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 05:58 pm
I have something against watching a toilet as it flushes Shocked

Edit : besides, In Australia, water only sits in the bottom of the bowl, it doesn't actually fill the bowl right up like it does in the US, so I doubt there would be any spiral effect at all - in any direction (we are a dry continent, our toilets even have a half flush function)
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 09:26 pm
TOILET?

Please explain?

Flsuh?????
0 Replies

Robin07

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 10:45 pm
Thanks Everyone, Your responses were informative, humorous and a reflection that the original post is very unscientific. I've also learned that regardless of the location that you're on Earth, that the toilet your flushing has nothing to do with how it drains. Thanks for the links and comments I really enjoyed touching base with various people around the world, It's really quite amazing that we're able to to this.

If anyone can shed some light on this question http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=181027 I'm not even able to web search the principle that is causing the effect. So If anyone has the correct terminology, can you let me know. I'd like to research this so that I can understand what's going on.

Thanks Again for all your input.
Robin07
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 10:56 pm
Tryagain wrote:
Robin wrote, "I live in Canada"

I am so sorry, please accept my deepest commiserations.

Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 07:45 am
vikorr wrote:
I have something against watching a toilet as it flushes Shocked

Edit : besides, In Australia, water only sits in the bottom of the bowl, it doesn't actually fill the bowl right up like it does in the US, so I doubt there would be any spiral effect at all - in any direction (we are a dry continent, our toilets even have a half flush function)

I am always scared sitting on American loos......I always think I am going to get wet...they are like small ponds! You could raise sharks in that much water....

Robin07 wrote:
Thanks Everyone, Your responses were informative, humorous and a reflection that the original post is very unscientific. I've also learned that regardless of the location that you're on Earth, that the toilet your flushing has nothing to do with how it drains. Thanks for the links and comments I really enjoyed touching base with various people around the world, It's really quite amazing that we're able to to this.

If anyone can shed some light on this question http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=181027 I'm not even able to web search the principle that is causing the effect. So If anyone has the correct terminology, can you let me know. I'd like to research this so that I can understand what's going on.

Thanks Again for all your input.
Robin07

Pleased to be of service! Hope we see more of you.
0 Replies

Robin07

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 10:43 am
Edited-Double post
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 01:19 pm
dlowan wrote:

Pleased to be of service! Hope we see more of you.

That just doesn't sound right given the topic...
0 Replies