windows xp select os at start up

Kepar

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2007 07:32 pm
I reinstalled windows xp on a computer. I had the computer reformat the hard drive, not just check for repairs. At boot up, I get a screen which says, please select the operating system. Both choices are identical "windows xp home edition." If I select the first, I'm golden. If I select the second, nothing happens. Is there a way to get rid of the second option so that I don't need to see this screen every single time I boot the computer?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 667 • Replies: 2
No top replies

contrex

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 09:26 am
you need to edit the file c:\boot.ini which may look like this

[boot loader]
timeout=15
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

perhaps if you post it up here we can advise how to edit.
0 Replies

Kepar

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 05:06 pm
Resolved
Thanks Contrex. I found the boot.ini file which you referenced. In case anyone else needs to know how to navigate to it in XP, here's what I did. I went to my computer, right clicked and selected properties. I hit the advanced tab and then under startup and recovery, I selected "settings." I selected the "edit" button and found the lines you were talking about. I backed up the boot.ini file first in case I messed up, and then removed the second line, as I knew that the first option always worked when I booted, but the second one wouldn't work on bootup. It worked out for me. Thanks again.
0 Replies