What's this WikiYourFriends.com thing?

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 03:44 pm
I just noticed there is a new thing at the top of the page here. WikiYourFriends.com. It seems to be a link to a new forum or message board or something.

How long has this WikiYourFriends.com thing been there? What is it exactly? Is it for future use?

Just curious.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,587 • Replies: 36
No top replies

onyxelle

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 03:53 pm
i noticed it too. it's just a regular wiki - which is an 'editable by anyone' website

Quote:
What is this site about?
It's a place to write about yourself and people you know and connect your page with other people.

What's the difference between that and other social networks?
On this site, anyone can edit anyone's profile.

Won't there be problems with what people post?
There are always problems when you let people post anything, the community will have to clean up after themselves and each edit is stored in the wiki history making each individual accountable for their own posts.

Who do I contact if I want something changed or removed?
You can edit the page yourself, so you don't need to contact anyone else if you want something changed or removed.

0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 03:55 pm
think "WIKIpedia.com" it's online reference anyone can edit those entries or add to them. Or ad new I believe.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 03:58 pm
Thanks Onyxelle.

I still don't see the point of it though. Why would you want anyone to be able to edit anyone else's profiles? The only difference between that and A2K as it is is that it's a forum that allows everyone to edit everyone else's profiles and posts?

I'm confused about what that would be useful for.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 04:09 pm
I don't see the usefulness of it in this arena either.

However, it's very useful for planning purposes if you're planning something and maybe you and the others involved are not nearby enough or have time enough to get together for planning sessions.

You can create them where only certain individuals can edit them.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 04:10 pm
kickycan wrote:
Thanks Onyxelle.

I still don't see the point of it though. Why would you want anyone to be able to edit anyone else's profiles? The only difference between that and A2K as it is is that it's a forum that allows everyone to edit everyone else's profiles and posts?

That is exactly what needs to be explained. I do not see the point of establishing a wiki of people you are friends with. Of course it would be fun to mess up their posts and profiles, but the novelty would soon wear off.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 04:13 pm
It's a Craven Creation.

He introduced it to us HERE the other day.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 04:23 pm
It appears that area is only for the high rollers around here, Squinney.

Here's what I get when I try that link.

Quote:
Hamster 3657543 reports - Sorry, but only members granted special access can read topics in this forum.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 04:25 pm
i think it's a link in the paid subscribers forum kicky. new site changes and stuff go on in there.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 04:31 pm
Embarrassed

Didn't realize that was even around any more.

(And lots of demented stuff goes on in there too that we try to protect the innocent from seeing.)
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 07:16 pm
squinney wrote:
Embarrassed

Didn't realize that was even around any more.

(And lots of demented stuff goes on in there too that we try to protect the innocent from seeing.)

Like what? Dish, sister! Who else is in there with you? Is Gus in there? Is Montana!? Are you all doing sex stuff in there!? I think I hear midgets running around in there...is it some kind of perverted swinger party you're all having in there!? Come on, what gives!? What's going on in there?!
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 07:22 pm
Well, yeah, a lot of what you mentioned.

Other than that I can only say...

At one time there were a lot more water softner guys around here. We found 'em handy for one of the monthly... ahem, "rituals".
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 09:24 pm
squinney wrote:
At one time there were a lot more water softner guys around here. We found 'em handy for one of the monthly... ahem, "rituals".

Ha! That got a real snort-laugh outta me, Squinney...You're a treasure! Very Happy
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2007 05:43 am
kickycan wrote:

I still don't see the point of it though. Why would you want anyone to be able to edit anyone else's profiles?

You of all people should get it, you get to make fun of them and if they have a somewhat unique name the page will be high on search results for their name.

Quote:
The only difference between that and A2K as it is is that it's a forum that allows everyone to edit everyone else's profiles and posts?

It's not really anything like A2K, it's a wiki not a forum and it's not related to A2K in any way except that I'm using A2K to launch it.

Quote:

It's not meant to be useful. Though it can be (in the same way any social network can be but usually isn't). I made the site because I could do so in an hour and because I think it would be interesting to see what happens.

For example, I told one person about it and within days it had over 100 profiles. People started telling their friends and family and then they started making pages.

Now search engines are picking it up and most of the profiles show up at the top of the search results for that name. A couple people I know who hate this idea are reluctantly participating, because they care what is said about them.

So the point, for me, is that I think this is a site I can spend 1 hour of work on and it has potential to take on a life of its own and I want to see what happens.

wandeljw wrote:

That is exactly what needs to be explained. I do not see the point of establishing a wiki of people you are friends with. Of course it would be fun to mess up their posts and profiles, but the novelty would soon wear off.

You're clearly not as immature as I am. Calling your friends gay never grows old!

But seriously, there could be useful things to do with it as well. I originally had this idea a few years ago when I wanted to make a way to organize a diverse group of individuals around the world who had lost contact with each other.

I wanted to build us a social network to get us connected again, and realized that it would not work as a traditional social network because that relies on the individuals doing it all themselves. An open wiki is a way for us to collaborate on this information without such restrictions.

And there are hundreds of other scenarios where it can be useful, for example if you'd like to build out your genealogy together with others it's a collaborative platform that would support that well. Another example is how it can serve as a means to put people back in contact with each other.

For example, my page on that site shows up as the first result in Google for my name (as do most other pages on the site for the respective names). Let's say someone who lost contact with me happens to google my name. They would be able to get back in contact with me because of the site.

But I'm serious when I said I didn't make the site to be useful, I made it to see what happens. It's not meant to be related to A2K in any way and I only linked it here to help kick-start it. I want it to spread to a couple of other circles of friends so it can start snowballing. Once I can get some more people adding to and editing the wiki it's going to gather momentum of its own.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2007 05:52 am
Thanks for the explanation, Craven. I had not realized the social networking possibilities.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2007 06:03 am
Hear, Hear!

Now go forth and multiply...
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 03:13 am
Yeah, go make some pages. I'll make sure to write some better explanations on the site when I get a chance (it also needs design work etc).
0 Replies

dreagen

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 05:41 am
I do not care what anyone says... WikiYourFriends is fun.
I made one page of my friend and sent it to his Girlfriend, Now all of us have pages and not one of us likes what it says about us. I am sure the Novelty will wear off of making fun of each other but it is Keeping my days at work busy...
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 03:39 pm
It is fun. dlowan wrote one of the funniest things I've ever read there.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 03:45 pm
Uh-Oh. Gotta go check that out....
0 Replies