A credit to my Race: Do you consider this racist

DGC

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2020 06:31 am
Here it is 2020 and I can't believe anyone is still saying something stupid like this to anyone. It is condescending and implies you are a good one and others in your race are not. This was just said to Serena Williams on the court by a young female interviewer before her semifinals match. Serena looked at her strangely and just walked away. I haven't heard this remark since the 60's. I don't think this girl meant to be rude or insulting, but the comment was rather ignorant. It would have been better if she had said that she was a credit to women everywhere over 35 who were still playing professional sports. I doubt if there are that many still playing anywhere. Yes, this could be taken as a racist remark but it is more of an ignorant remark.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2020 06:46 am
@DGC,
DGC wrote:

Here it is 2020 and I can't believe anyone is still saying something stupid like this to anyone.

They’re not, the comment was made in 2003, seventeen years ago.

Check the date stamps on posts.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2020 09:38 am
@izzythepush,
People still use it, in private situations - usually in a very small group of white middle aged guys. It's not good and I ignore it. They still use "mighty white of you", too.

"Mighty White of You": It is an insult that means that you are both clueless and arrogant. It is said in a situation where someone has said or done something as a gift or a favor for which they believe they should earn thanks, but is so ineffective or was delivered in such a condescending manner, that they have insulted the person they are pretending to help. For example: "This dress is out of style and I would never wear something made of such cheap fabric, but I thought maybe you could use it" Response "That's Mighty White of You" It implies that some white people may be, ahem, clueless and arrogant about the challenges other people face. I am white. I have met many Mighty White People. I was glad I finally found a phrase that describes it. It is similar to, but not quite like "Born on Third Base and Thought He Hit a Triple"

: : This is an interesting example of a phrase that has fallen out of favour and now (apparently - I can't say I've seen it used at all recently, or as Cynthia has used it).

: : I looked it up in Eric Partridge's dictionary of phrases. It says:
https://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/49/messages/670.html

: : "mighty white of you! - It's or that's. That's very decent of you or forgiving or generous of you C20. Orig. Southern US, it soon became gen. US, and has been heard in the UK since the 1930's, often with an understood implication of its origin. Of the US usage, JWC, 1977 has noted that it was at first used very seriously - " like a white man, not like a Negro", Now used everywhere, by everyone to anyone but always jestingly (and sometimes sarcastically), and with full consciousness that it is a provincial expression - and not racist."

: : It goes on but that's the gist of it. It's hard to imagine that it couldn't have been construed as racist but Partridge is quite good on these things so it probably is the case that that's how it was used, at least prior to 1977. I can well see how its connotation could have changed.

Play the white man

Play the white man is a phrase used in parts of Britain meaning to be decent and trustworthy in one's actions. The phrase is commonly used by natives of the Yorkshire and the Humber region. A similar expression, originating in the southern United States in the 20th century, is That's mighty white of you and variations, with the meaning of "thank you for being fair".Wikipedia

Its a good idea to always check datelines.

Discussing this is a refreshing break from Trump.

izzythepush

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2020 09:47 am
@bobsal u1553115,
I’ve never heard it, but I have heard of being a credit to one’s parents which implies they’ve been brought up well.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2020 09:54 am
@izzythepush,
One's a compliment and one's a left-handed compliment posed as a joke where 'thank you' would have been appropriate.

Those two "white" expressions were never uttered in my home and I never heard them till after I got out of the Navy and became a stag in a herd of stags when I got out and went on to collage and player poker and drank beer at different small gatherings.

I may have been a credit to my family, I hope I was.
0 Replies