Spirituality and the Subconscious Mind

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 09:06 am
I didn't want to muck up a perfectly wonderful thread by continuing on a tangent, so I chose to move the discussion here. Please feel free to add your input.

This is how the discussion began:

TERRY DOOLITTLE--
In learning to read Tarot cards a few years back I did some reading on the theory as to why and how they "work" and how and why some people seem to be able to predict the future or see the past even though they hadn't yet been born. As the theory goes the subconscious mind has no concept of time. It doesn't know the difference between past, present, and future. The meditative state used by an honest Tarot reader can bring one's subconcious mind to the forefront in a semi-waking state and actually "see" the future or the past (as well as things they otherwise wouldn't know about the present). This is also why we dream about people who've long been dead as though they were still alive and seldom realise in those dreams that they shouldn't be there because they are dead.

MISTI26--
Terry, so interesting that you read Tarot cards. Rae took it up some years ago, but for some reason, she's really uncomfortable reading for people she knows.

ROGER--
Just for what it's worth, Terry, James Michner wrote of his experience as a tarot reader at a benefit carnaval in his last book. It was spooky, and I think it scared him a little too. Sorry, can't recall the title, but it was more or less autobiographical. Life's experiences, anyway.

PIFFKA--
I learned how to read tarot cards but became uncomfortable reading them, too. I would like to read what Michener wrote about his experiences. I think that idea of tapping into the subconscious may be a pretty accurate way of describing what goes on... though some people scoff at the whole thing. Odd how many people get spooked.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,021 • Replies: 11
No top replies

TerryDoolittle

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 09:19 am
Tarot reading didn't spook me, but I didn't really pursue the "hobby." What it did was help me to sharpen my already frighteningly accurate intuition. Years of yoga practice have done the same as well as help me to open and embrace that link between the conscious and subconscious. Some yogis and meditators call it "bliss," that semi-waking state that allows us an awareness of the world around us with a feeling that we've achieved a higher state of consciousness, a oneness with those surroundings.

My yoga practice has brought me to that state of bliss more than once, but when I sought to go beyond that, I found fear. I'm only now beginning to comprehend how and why that terror gripped me and that I've got to embrace and take ownership for my fears in order to further my practice.
Piffka

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 09:45 am
In Tai Chi you're taught to "soften your gaze" and see everything at once. Between that and linking in to a flow of chi, you can get a similar state of bliss, I think. That has never given me pause, but the tarot has been so foreboding sometimes...
0 Replies

TerryDoolittle

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 11:51 am
I suppose the Tarot and what it represents to many people could be frightening. I witnessed an odd experience with a Ouija board and haven't touched one since. The memory still makes me shiver.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 11:08 pm
Oh, tell the story, please! Ouija boards creep me out, too. <shiver>
0 Replies

TerryDoolittle

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 08:56 am
(Uh oh. This will disspell any rumors that I was a rebellious teenager.)

A couple of friends and I were pretty much inseparable at the age of 18. It wasn't unusual for us to hang out in my room from dinner on Friday night until breakfast on Saturday. We'd occasionally stop at Toys R Us, buy a new board game, and go back to my house to play all night. On a whim, we picked up a Ouija board. We locked ourselves in my bedroom. As I lit candles, Tim fiddled with the CD player and Deb sat on the floor with the board in her lap. She kept repeating, "Is anybody there?" but nothing happened. After about two minutes, Deb was annoyed and just sighed, "Is anybody there? If you're there give us a sign."

Right at that second the lights went out and the stereo shut off. It took us about ten seconds to realise what had happened. Then the three of us ran for the door and down the stairs as fast as we could. We found my brother and his best friend at the front window. We initially thought that our house was the only one that had lost power, but when we looked out all we saw was black. If it was just our block or a couple of blocks, we would have seen that sort of "halo" caused by nearby lights...Nothing. Before we could go outside and investigate further the lights came back on. The blackout only lasted about five minutes at the most.

We did go back upstairs and pick up the board again, but that was after we convinced ouselves that it was just a coincidence and worked up some courage.

I think the Ouija board is still in Tim's parents' basement.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 09:12 am
Yikes! Yep.. that sounds like a Ouija board story.

People who "play" it always say, "But I'm NOT moving it." Who knows? Usually you can tell, but sometimes that pointer will just start moving so fast. It was too weird for me.

We had one that I couldn't get rid of. I didn't want it in the house anymore. I kept thinking I'd thrown it away and then I'd find it again. It was totally creepy. Nobody would admit that they'd removed it from the garbage can... but it would just appear... in a closet, under the bed, out in the carport. Finally I took it out to the garbage can just before the garbage truck arrived. I haven't seen it since. Good riddance.
0 Replies

TerryDoolittle

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 05:40 pm
I had another dream with Dad in it last night. This one was more just an everyday sort of dream; nothing significant happened. We just kind of hung out. I think it may have something to do with the book I've been reading: After the Ecstasy, the Laundry How the Heart Grows Wise on the Spiritual Path by Jack Kornfield. Pardon the pun, but reading this book has been an enlightening experience.
0 Replies

TerryDoolittle

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 05:49 pm
BTW, Piffka, I've heard Ouija board stories like that before....from several sources. I think that's why nobody has bothered to throw out that old one in my friend's parents' basement.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 06:27 pm
Oh, I've heard of that book. Great concept! I'd like to read it.

I sometimes have dreams of my parents and they have always been extremely nice, comforting dreams. My mom died twenty years ago, my dad died, hmmmmm, almost 10 years ago. Sometimes I think I have better rapport with them in my dreams than I ever did when they were alive.

You gave me the goosebumps when you said you'd heard of other people having trouble getting rid of their darn Ouija board. <brrrrr> I'd never heard that. Oddest thing.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 06:43 pm
Omigod... I googled getting rid of Ouija boards and Terry, you're right! I am a little freaked but staying calm. There are all sorts of people, wackos they sound like, who say it is hard to get rid of them. Sheee-it. One website suggested taking it to your local neighborhood parish church and leaving it on "sacred ground." (And wouldn't Father Gary be pleased to see that! LOL) Well, I got rid of mine a long time ago, but, like I said, it took a few tries. Too weird. <shaking head and going off to do some laundry>
0 Replies

beyondme

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 06:22 pm
@TerryDoolittle,
Fears are what stops all journeys into one's perceptions of the enrgy signatures around them. Because we all have abilities to see past our "self" and into the realm of "God awareness", fear transforms and even stops our greatest desires and strength to see beyond "the grave".
0 Replies