Fair dinkum 'swearing'

lezzles

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 07:19 am
Chai, I can assure you the phrase has nothing to do with either Vietnamese or penises in Ozspeak. (I think it was in use before Vietnam was ever heard of in the western world and there are so many more colourful words to describe the penis.)

There are a number of words used to describe various racial groups, but I don't use them and I will not dignify them by passing them on.

There is another similar phrase, dinky di, which has the same meaning as fair dinkum, but it is not used very often.

When I was a kid I had a dinky, which was like a 'junior' tricycle. Bit like a little tin washtub turned upside down with wheels, pedals and a handle.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 07:21 am
oh I know that lezzles....that was in response to contex's statement that dink was a racial slur in america.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 07:27 am
Australians don't say dink either. I've never heard it used.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 07:59 am
Riding double on a pushbike is dinking.

I gave my friend a dink home.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 12:22 pm
"dinky" in america means little, or puny.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 08:16 pm
Sheeesh!
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 09:42 pm
Wilso wrote:

I have to disagree, I've often hear 'fair dink' used - Australians always shorten words so that flies have less chance of getting in their mouths - except when we stick 'ee' or 'oh' on the end of them (to blow the flies out of our mouths), so I'll be taking the garbo out this arvy, or having tinny this arvo....
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 10:51 pm
Nice to see you posting again hingee.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 11:48 pm
hingehead wrote:
Wilso wrote:

I have to disagree, I've often hear 'fair dink' used - Australians always shorten words so that flies have less chance of getting in their mouths - except when we stick 'ee' or 'oh' on the end of them (to blow the flies out of our mouths), so I'll be taking the garbo out this arvy, or having tinny this arvo....

Never heard it.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2007 12:02 am
Wilso wrote:

Never heard it.

Where is kanahooka? I heard it a bit in the West suburbs of Sydney in the 1980s. Gawdstruth!
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2007 12:03 am
dadpad wrote:
Nice to see you posting again hingee.

Life has settled down a little but I intend only occasionaly forays between shifts.
0 Replies

Oleander

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2007 10:38 am
Speaking for a lot of Yanks, please define the fair in fair dinkum. Does it have something to do with the a big amount? Other expressions have fair . . . I am wondering when "fair suck . . . . " hit the scene. I have been studying Aussie slang for 15 years just for the fun. What a lot of fun it is.

Oleander
[email protected]
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2007 08:19 pm
I don't think it has a meaning outside of the phrase itself. There's no other kind of dinkum!

Fair suck and fair go are pretty common to but the 'fair' in them is sort of like 'just' or 'appropriate' or 'level playing field'. Never really thought about it before. Lord knows what 'fair enough' means literally.

Advance Australian Fair
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2007 08:38 pm
The really interesting thing about fair dinkum is tone.

It can be used to question a statement as well as express disgust or disappointment.

Thats very difficult to demonstrate on a forum such as this.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2007 11:23 pm
And I wonder if the dinkum is the same stuff that makes you 'dinky di'?
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 01:02 am
Hello Oleander,

Some of the others might have another slant on this, but I think the 'fair' in dinkum comes from being fair about something (balanced, honest, etc). So I guess 'fair dinkum' equates with 'honest injun'.

Similarly, 'fair suck of the sav' (saveloy) or 'fair suck of the sauce bottle' refers to sharing something fairly and equates to 'be fair about it' or 'you've had your say, now let the other person have their turn'. I'm probably sticking my neck out here, but from my own observations, 'fair suck of the sav' seems to be a Victorian term (I first heard Graham Kennedy - who was a well known Vicctorian comedian on tv - say it forty-odd years ago) and 'fair suck of the sauce bottle' a Queensland one. In my early days in New South, we seemed to stick to 'fair go'. (Don't take this as bible, though.)

'fair enough' is used to let the other person know you accept what they have to say as being a logical and accurate description or assessment of a situation or problem.

'fair' does also refer to 'large' at times, as in 'it is a fair way between Sydney and Perth'. (If someone tells you it's a fair hike to somewhere, they are advising you to go by bus or drive rather than walk.)

I have always been fascinated by 'fair cow'.

Last night I watched an animal rescue program, where three RSPCA (same as SPCA except it has Royal patronage) officers were trying to help an aged cow get out of a muddy riverbank. It had been there for days and was exhausted from trying to extricate itself. The men dug under it to get big straps around it and attempted to pull it out of the mud, to no avail. The animal was unable to do anything to help and was a dead weight. Eventually three more men who were working nearby gave them a hand and finally the six of them were able to drag the poor creature free. They then found that the cow was too weak to attempt to stand, let alone climb up the steep embankment to reach safety. So they then got hold of an inflatable dinghy and lashed the cow to the side and 'swam' it along the river until they reached a level area where the animal ambulance could back down to the water's edge and they were able to drag the cow up a ramp into the ambulance. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, the river was infested with bull sharks.

I thought it epitomised the saying perfectly.

So if something is described as a 'fair cow' you can rest assured it is a seemingly insurmountable and unpleasant problem.

I'm glad you see the fun side of it, because that is the real basis of Aussie slang. Survival for the convicts, early settlers, the bushmen, farmers, and even the city dwellers, has always been a battle against harsh conditions. The best way to cope with this day after day was to show no fear, whistle in the dark, take the mickey out of yourself and each other (ie, laugh). Thus we nickname redheads 'Bluey', bald men 'Curly', morose people 'Chuckles'.

Edit::: I prepared this earlier today, but I had problems with the line and was unable to post it until now. I see a couple of other Aussies have answered as well, so this may seem to be repeating some of what has been said above.

Oh, by the way, if you are so keen on Aussie slang, I DO hope you pronounce it OZZY not Ossy! Laughing
0 Replies