Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 12:50 am
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,026 • Replies: 35
No top replies

contrex

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 01:14 am
I wonder if the stew was a person of color - the word "dink" is a racist insult in the USA I believe, and it could have been a case of mishearing. I wonder if anyone remembers the fuss in Florida about the word "niggardly", which means "parsimonious", because it sounds a bit like the "N-word".

The trouble is, there a lot of good words that sound a bit like bad words, so such an attitude could lead to nobody daring to say anything.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 07:11 am
Strewth! Thats poor sheila. Runnin' outa tucker is enough to make you wanna shoot through!

fair dinkum!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 09:10 am
"Dink" a slur in the U.S.? I don't think so. "Chink," maybe. (Slur for Chinese person.)

Only use of "dink" I can think of is the acronym -- "Double Income No Kids." It's pretty neutral, hardly a slur, and certainly not based on skin color.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 09:58 am
sozobe wrote:
"Dink" a slur in the U.S.? I don't think so. "Chink," maybe. (Slur for Chinese person.)

Only use of "dink" I can think of is the acronym -- "Double Income No Kids." It's pretty neutral, hardly a slur, and certainly not based on skin color.

It depends on where you are from I guess. From the Urban Dictionary:

Quote:

1. dink

Dual Income No Kids

2. dink

Local slang in Vermont. A stupid person, a jerk, an a-hole. A general putdown of one's abilities.
You are such a dink.

3. DINK

Acronym for Dual Income No Kids

That says the 2nd definition is local to VT but I've heard it used to mean the same thing elsewhere (mostly in New England but in TX and OK as well...)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 10:04 am
Sounds like they can't spell 'dork' in some states...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 10:06 am
Even then it's not a racist insult, though, which is what contrex was saying:

contrex wrote:
the word "dink" is a racist insult in the USA I believe,
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 10:07 am
This busiiness about swearing to a flight attendant may shed some light on a recent mother-attendant problem in the US in which the mother was put off the plane.
Maybe she swore. Or, of course, maybe she didn't.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 10:07 am
ossobuco wrote:
Sounds like they can't spell 'dork' in some states...

heh!
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 12:14 pm
I didn't know "dink" is a regional thing. We use it in my family-- grandma must've brought it with her from the east coast. And I've never heard of it having a racist connotation.

Anyway, what a weird story... (note to self: start saying "fair dinkum"-- very cool!)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 12:16 pm
busliness - someone else can't spell!
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 03:09 pm
cyphercat wrote:
I didn't know "dink" is a regional thing. We use it in my family-- grandma must've brought it with her from the east coast. And I've never heard of it having a racist connotation.

I've read it in lots of books about Vietnam etc. According to Wikipedia, "Dink" can be:

"A derogatory racial slur referring to peoples of asian decent, Mainly used by U.S soldiers during the vietnam war to refer to North Vietnamese soldiers. Examples in popular culture, see- Platoon (1986) movie."

Some people might hear "slope" or "g**k" when they think they hear "dink".
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 11:39 pm
cyphercat wrote:
(note to self: start saying "fair dinkum"-- very cool!)

G'donya, cc!

Just remember, it is tantamount to making an oath when you say these words. If you describe something as being absolutely true it is fair dinkum (much the same as 'the real McCoy') and it has various shades of meaning according to the tone of voice used when saying it; e.g, 'fair dinkum, that is the worst joke I've ever heard.' would indicated that it IS the worst. To call someone 'fair dinkum' means they are honest, loyal and dependable.

When uttered softly in an almost awesome tone with an interrogatory inflexion the meaning is 'are you sure?' or 'can it be for real?' (An example of this would be if some incredibly handsome, rich hunk knocked on your door and begged you to drop everything and run off with him.)

When said in an exasperated manner, of course, it takes on the opposite meaning 'You must be joking!' or 'This is totally unbelievable' (A good example of this would be when you order a drink on a plane and, on asking for pretzels you are told 'Sorry, we're all outta pretzels.')

Here endeth the lesson. :wink:
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 01:10 am
All right! I got a real, authentic lesson in how to use the phrase properly-- now I really will say it Very Happy
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 02:50 am
It's not 'dink'. It's 'dinkum'.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 07:02 am
Years and years ago I answered a knock on my door and found an indignant 12 year old who wanted to tell me that my five-year-old was swearing.

I asked for particulars and learned that my son was chanting, "Buck teeth, mackintosh and minotaur."

Unfamiliar words are obviously hostile and dangerous to the vulnerable listener.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 07:34 am
Its illegal to swear on a plane?

How bout
"gemme another fu***in martini babe"

I have to tell you, Im not clear on these rules at all. When I drank , I ecame the passenger from hell. Ive spent many a year hunting down and apologizing to flight attendants. Those who havent sworn out restraining orders have been quite receptive to my apologies.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 07:44 am
I dont understand Italian
If an Italian person calls me a dickhed in italian should I be offended?
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 12:59 am
dadpad wrote:
I dont understand Italian
If an Italian person calls me a dickhed in italian should I be offended?

If he means it, sure! Testa di cazzo is what to listen out for.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 05:30 am
Just asked Mr. Tea if he heard the word "dink" in Vietnam.

His words... "Yeah, that's what some of the boys called the vietnamese. Only other time I heard it was from those yankee boys from New England. That's what they called their dicks."

When he asked me why I asked, I told him about this thread....

His words...."Jesus Christ, that was 40 years ago! I've heard a couple old vets say that, but not as a rule. No one says that anymore. Now while you're up, can you get me some more coffee?"
0 Replies