Gun joke - legal?

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 01:32 am
I know that bomb jokes are illegal, so I was wondering:
If, for example, I go into my local county courthouse and step through a metal detector, and it goes off for some reason, can I be prosecuted for flexing and saying "Must've been the guns!" or something of the sort?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,550 • Replies: 25
No top replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 01:37 am
I wouldn't have a clue about the legality. Needless to say I think it would be a very foolish thing to do.
0 Replies

Slomichizza

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 01:41 am
I absolutely agree... but it would be pretty funny.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 04:11 am
"Bomb jokes" aren't illegal per se - at least not in the U.S..

The criminal charge would be something along the lines of "making a false threat" or "disturbing the peace" and the same sort of charges would apply with quips about a gun.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 05:27 am
You have several major variables here with the personalities of the security guards; recent criminal disruption in the courthouse and even the weather.

Remember what seems like a funny, spontaneous quip to you may be the 6th time the security guard has heard this witticism that day.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 05:36 am
And you keep seing these signs in US airports: "No jokes please!"
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 05:39 am
You might want to ask some of the families who have had loved ones shot to death in American courthouses recently.

Joe(yes. they would say "that would be a laff riot.")Nation
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 05:49 am
Francis wrote:
And you keep seing these signs in US airports: "No jokes please!"

They're in Australian airports too. Outside passport control there's a warning that comments made past this point will be taken seriously and literally.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 06:53 am
Re: Gun joke - legal?
Slomichizza wrote:
If, for example, I go into my local county courthouse and step through a metal detector, and it goes off for some reason, can I be prosecuted for flexing and saying "Must've been the guns!" or something of the sort?

The person running the detector has no way of knowing your intention is to joke. They have to assume you are serious.

Would you be prosecuted? Hard to say.

Would you be wrestled to the ground, handcuffed and held until they sort out if you have guns or not? Most likely. If you feel like getting bruised, tasered and wasting 24 hours sitting in a jail cell by all means make the joke.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 06:53 am
Slomichizza wrote:

It will be really funny when the security guards strip search you and perform a cavity exam. Laughing
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 06:58 am
Green Witch wrote:
Slomichizza wrote:

It will be really funny when the security guards strip search you and perform a cavity exam. Laughing

Yeah... that would be funny, but why would they care about his teeth?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 07:00 am
ebrown_p wrote:
Green Witch wrote:
Slomichizza wrote:

Think lower.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 07:02 am
ebrown_p wrote:
Green Witch wrote:
Slomichizza wrote:

He did say it must be his "gums" that set off the detector.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 07:02 am
Now you are being silly Green... you can't get cavities in your chin (at least my cavity exams only involve my teeth).
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 07:20 am
Seriously, I don't think gun jokes at security checkpoints are funny at all. They are obvious-- don't take any imagination and they don't serve any purpose.

I appreciate political humor-- like the guy who wore a shirt that read "Potential Terrorist" on an airplane. This was funny and had an important political message.

But silly gags that can cause disruption without serving any purpose aren't funny.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 07:24 am
I just remembered this.... (this is funny)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZlcxllYM54
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 07:37 am
Slomichizza wrote:
I absolutely agree... but it would be pretty funny.

What exactly would be funny about it?

If you're the only one laughing it ain't funny.

My best guess as to what everyone else would be doing would be pondering how such a huge a$$hole managed to make it through the day.

Chai(don't stand near me, they'll think we're together)Tea
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 07:46 am
Slomichizza wrote:

You may laugh now, on this internet site, but when the FEDS get finished with you, you'll be a sorry little boy, especially after the orifice(s) examination(s) are completed.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 07:49 am
what kind of bomb joke is illegal?

How do you get arrested for a joke? I hope you mean stuff like makin a joke bomb threat cuz that is stupid.

But to joke about bombs? i cant think of one that could be reasonably told without being an actual threat to security.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 03:08 pm
OGIONIK wrote:
what kind of bomb joke is illegal?

How do you get arrested for a joke? I hope you mean stuff like makin a joke bomb threat cuz that is stupid.

But to joke about bombs? i cant think of one that could be reasonably told without being an actual threat to security.

go to the airport and make a gun joke.

we'll be waiting for your report.
0 Replies