Christopher Hitchens dared say what he thought re Bob Hope

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 06:59 pm
Who the hell is Christopher Hitchens? Has anyone ever heard of him?
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 07:17 pm
He does mostly opinion pieces. I read him on Slate. He tends to lean conservative, IMO, but definitely not a GOP apologist. Caught him on Bill Maher recently.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 08:02 pm
I only know of him as a writer for Vanity Fair. I found this interesting interview Christopher Hitchens On Mother Theresa

Quote:
Below, Matt Cherry, executive director of the Council for Secular Humanism, interviews Christopher Hitchens about his book The Missionary Position: Mother Teresa in Theory and Practice (Verso, 1995) and his television program, which strongly criticized Mother Teresa. The interview recapitulates the most devastating critiques of Mother Teresa ever made. It also gives a very telling account by a leading journalist into the U.S. media's great reluctance to criticize religion and religious leaders.

As Free Inquiry was going to press, we heard that Mother Teresa was suffering from heart trouble and malaria and there was concern about her chances of survival. It was, therefore, suggested to the editors that it would be inappropriate to print an interview that contains criticism of Mother Teresa's work and influence. However, in view of the media's general failure to investigate the work of Mother Teresa or to publish critical comments about her, the editors felt it important to proceed with the publication of this revealing interview.

Christopher Hitchens is "Critic at Large" for Vanity Fair, writes the Minority Report column for The Nation, and is a frequent guest on current affairs and commentary television programs. He has written numerous books on international current affairs, including Blood, Class and Nostalgia: Anglo-American Ironies.

he's not exactly a seeker of the easy middle ground
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 08:05 pm
he doesn't seem to be a fan of things conservative in that interview

Quote:
Regarding her practice, I couldn't help but notice that she had rallied to the side of the Duvalier family in Haiti, for instance, that she had taken money - over a million dollars - from Charles Keating, the Lincoln Savings and Loans swindler, even though it had been shown to her that the money was stolen; that she has been an ally of the most reactionary forces in India and in many other countries; that she has campaigned recently to prevent Ireland from ceasing to be the only country in Europe with a constitutional ban on divorce, that her interventions are always timed to assist the most conservative and obscurantist forces.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 08:17 pm
He was a steady opinion writer for the Nation for years -- until recently when he decided he more or less supported the war and quit.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 08:21 pm
Sweet. Mr Hitchens goes after Mother Theresa and Bob Hope. He comes across as being a pretty pathetic individual, but I'm sure he has his fans.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 08:25 pm
Like I said--he seems to lean conservative. He's not in anybody's pocket. I use him alot for quotes here.

In this article from Slate,Machiavelli in Mesopotamia, he doesn't look like Bush's boy, either. But, I think he's very straightforward, and outspoken. A lot of his articles eventually side with the conservative point of view, after he bloodies the major players.

He's pretty rough on Dems, as well.

(I can't believe he did that job on Mother Theresa... I'm glad you brought it. I'm going to read it. <wondering what bad could be said about her Shocked>?
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 06:19 pm
On behalf of GLAAD, Bob Hope addresses the camera in a tuxedo, and says:

Quote:
"I'm proud to live in this great, free country and I'm proud of our commitment to free speech. And I'm proud of our country's commitment to protecting the rights of its citizens to work and live free from bigotry and violence.

"That's why I was amazed to discover that many people die each year in anti-gay attacks and thousands more are left scarred, emotionally and physically.

"Bigotry has no place in this great nation, and violence has no place in this world, but it happens. Prejudice hurts, kills. Please don't be a part of it."

This ad came about after Hope was on "The Tonight Show" in 1988 and used the word "fag" in reference to someone's colorful tie on the show that night, motivating GLAAD to request an apology. Hope took it a step further by creating this spot at his own expense.

Because this was a public service announcement in an era when GLAAD couldn't afford to pay for the media time, this ad aired only on paid-access programs such as Gay Cable Network in New York City and The 10% Show in Chicago.

You can view the PSA at this site, and you can read more on the subject of Hope as a gay crusader at Monkey Media report, which has a whole lot more to say on the subject.

I was about 11 and my brother was 8 (so this would have been 1969) when one of those "Road" movies came on in rerun. We laughed our asses off, and Mom marveled at the sight.

Those who say he wasn't funny have a withered sense of humor.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 07:38 pm
Thanks, PDiddie. I liked Mr. Hope, enjoyed his goofy, self-deprecating sense of humour as it came across in movies - always glad/glaad to have another excuse to appreciate him.
0 Replies