Privacy Trees?

Montana

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 09:45 pm
Hey, you guys make me sound like I'm looking for the impossible Laughing

I did do a little research and found some I like in the height I like and don't need maintaining, so there Laughing

I can't remember the names of the trees, but I will do extensive research on this, as I do with any other large project I do, when I have more time in the fall/winter.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 09:47 pm
Montana wrote:
These are arborvitae http://www.buckrunnursery.com/images/arborvitae_emerald_green.jpg

These are very nice :-D

I like these! Sorry to stretch the page again Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 09:48 pm
Yes, you are, far as I know. (Maybe plant life is different in the east.)
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 09:49 pm
I'll find something. You'll see ;-)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 09:52 pm
Which arborvitae?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 09:53 pm
You mean, which kind?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 10:00 pm
Arborvitae is a broad species, what variety or cultivar do you have your eye on?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 05:07 am
we dont do n o steenkekn maintenance on our privet and it does fine, Like they ay, think of a big impenetrable wall of branches
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 04:36 pm
My best to brendalee.

I'm a fan of privet myself. It would suit you, Montana. Green Girl gone wild--but self maintaining.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 05:05 pm
Montana - this is the Arborvitae Emerald Green you posted above

http://arbor-day.org/trees/treeguide/TreeDetail.cfm?ID=216

Quote:
This tree grows at a slow growth rate

They define that as about 12" per year. If you buy the 4' size (not inexpensive for 100' of them), and wait 3 seasons, you'll have 6'. However, you're going to have to maintain at that point to keep it there, since the plant's goal is 10' - 15'.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 06:26 pm
Boy, I thought this was going to be easy Laughing

I'm going to have to research the privet extensively because a lot of you are leaning that way.
Are there different kinds? Excuse my ignorance, as I know very little about trees Rolling Eyes

I'm gonna learn, though!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 06:36 pm
not to mention that most varieties of arborvitae need winter protection and seem to die easily or various woes (including bagworm).

No, Montana, it's not easy. That's why you came here and that's why we are trying to help you.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 06:58 pm
I know and I think you guys are great and I truly appreciate your help :-D
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 08:04 pm
http://www.gnb.ca/0171/30/0171300011-e.asp

Hedges Plants for New Brunswick Gardens - quite a few at the 2 metre level
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 08:15 pm
What is your soil like?

Have you considered cotoneasters?

Someone else in N.B. with a similar question
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 08:26 pm
I tend to think of cotoneasters as lower plants than what Montana needs.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 08:44 pm
Montana, still don't know what your zone is...... I'm guessing 5. Besides deciduous privet.....

Hollies: http://www.taunton.com/finegardening/plants/articles/evergreen-hollies.aspx

Yews: http://landscaping.about.com/od/evergreenshrubsbushes1/a/japanese_yews.htm

Rhododendron catawbiense: http://www.backyardgardener.com/plantname/pda_ff26.html
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 09:57 pm
I'm in zone 4, I believe. I'm on the coast and the soil is a bit clayish, but not bad.
I can manipulate the soil by adding peat moss, compost, manure or whatever it needs. I have a PH tester around here somewhere.

Will read your links tomorrow when I'm not having a few Drunk

Thanks, you guys! You're awesome!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2007 05:00 am
littlek wrote:
I tend to think of cotoneasters as lower plants than what Montana needs.

The cotoneasters I got from hamburger grow to around 12 feet here - but only to about 6 feet in the soil at his place.

I think rhodies would have trouble in Montana's area - it's a bit rugged, weather-wise.

Montana - according to the government zone site, you're in zone 4A, with a tendency toward the 3's.

~~~

The Japanese Yews come up on the NB hedge site as well. I've got one in the back here that's doing quite well, but depending on the soil conditions, Montana might find it requires a bit more care (trimming it down) than she'd care to do. Again, the plant is twice is big here as it gets in the soil conditions at the hamburgers.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2007 09:34 pm
Soaking everything up and I thank you all for your help.

My cousin, who lives kind of in front of us, planted some trees in his back yard a few years ago and I really like them. He's coming over to bush cut our field next weekend and I'm gonna ask him what kind of trees he planted.
They're bushy right to the ground, just like I want, but since they're not full grown, I don't know how tall they'll get.
0 Replies