Privacy Trees?

Montana

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 07:05 pm
We have some nurseries around that I'm going to check out. Green Witch has given me great info through email and with you guys helping, I know I'll find the perfect trees :-D

Lots of things to consider such as zones, weather, soil conditions, etc, so I'll end up doing tons of research from here to next year.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 07:06 pm
And bikinis and bras, or lack thereof. These are important things to consider.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 07:08 pm
Of course ;-)
0 Replies

plantress

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 04:55 pm
dwarf lealand cypress?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 04:59 pm
I like leylandii cypress myself (Chamaecyparissus leylandii, or sim spelling), not dwarf - but for the area I know. I've been reluctant to pipe in, as I've no clue about new brunswick. Glad Greenie is giving you some comments.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 06:47 pm
Thanks for you're suggestions. This is one of my next year projects, since I'm covering a large area and I need to plan it out carefully.

I got some awesome advice from Green Witch and I should be ready to go by this time next year or around the end of July. That is if we have enough good weather for me to do all the digging. It's going to be a lot of work, but I already figured a plan of doing one section at a time, so if I can't plant all next year, I can get the rest of the in the following year.

I like trees that are bushy right to the ground because it makes it much easier to mow the lawn and they give full privacy.

I have other projects going right now so I haven't had time to do a lot of research on this yet, but once the fall hits and I don't have to deal with yard work or snow removal for a while, I'm going to plan this out carefully.

There is more planning needed in this than I thought, but it'll be a fun project for sure :-D
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 07:14 pm
brendalee's out of town checking on her daughter, who's in hospital.

she wanted me to let you know that she was going to have some suggestions for you. she homesteaded in New Brunswick 20+ years ago. knows her stuff.

(it was cute on the weekend, when she was explaining to me and Set about who Montana is at able2know Very Happy )
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 08:04 pm
Oh cool, thanks Beth Very Happy Laughing

I always find peoples reactions funny when I mention you guys.

"What's an A2K"? Laughing
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 08:21 pm
arbovitae are being decimated by bagworms as far north asMAine. Privet with a back of Leyland Cypress is a good choice. We use Leyland Cypress on top of Berms for screening of water retention basins at mines. They grow quickly and can get nice and dense.

If you were somewhat south Id suggest a tree back layer of Pawlonia. They can grow 20 feet in a year sfter the first year (all trees "sleep" during their first year after transplant.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 08:27 pm
farmerman wrote:
arbovitae are being decimated by bagworms as far north asMAine. Privet with a back of Leyland Cypress is a good choice. We use Leyland Cypress on top of Berms for screening of water retention basins at mines. They grow quickly and can get nice and dense.

If you were somewhat south Id suggest a tree back layer of Pawlonia. They can grow 20 feet in a year sfter the first year (all trees "sleep" during their first year after transplant.

Thanks Farmer. Any idea how tall the Leyland get to be? 8ft would be all the height I prefer, but I wouldn't mind if they were, say, 10-12ft.
I also want a tree that I don't have to maintain, like my spruce, plant it, nurse it for a bit until it takes root and just forget about them.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 08:29 pm
Just checked them out and they get to be 60-70ft Shocked

http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/hgic1013.htm
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 08:40 pm
I still think privet, if you let it go wild, makes a pretty good screen - not perfect as it is deciduous, but pretty good. If you had time to wait out a plant to maturity, I'd suggest a bank of rodies.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 08:44 pm
Privets neat, It draws birds in all seasons and they hang out with happy din. We have a privet hefgerow outside one pasture and just let it go wild, Its huge now and really thick , even in winter. Hawks and saw whet owls hole up in it and watch for rodents in the field or, in the cae of the kestrel hawks, they nail low flying barn pigeons. (which are flying rats to me)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 08:48 pm
You'd really have to peer and maybe even squint to get a decent gander of life on the other side of a thick privet.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 08:55 pm
Just looked them up and from what I read, they need maintaining, which I don't want. I'm looking to cover over 100ft and I just don't have the time to maintain trees or bushes.

I want something kind of like Christmas trees. I live in the country and I want to keep with the country look. Something that'll blend nicely with all the surrounding spruce.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 08:56 pm
what needs maintaining? The privet? Only if you want them to be a geometric looking hedge. Otherwise, you snip down 1-3 old trunks (1-2 inches thick) per bush per year.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 09:01 pm
No maintaining at all, ever, over 100 feet, yet screens... and is fairly short.

rolls eyes.

Consider a tall wall.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 09:03 pm
Quote:
Thujopsis dolabrata
Thujopsis dolabrata (Zones 5­-7) offers seductive glimpses of silver. Its green foliage has bright silvery bands underneath. As with Marilyn Monroe's dress in The Seven Year Itch, brief glimpses of the underside on windy days can be a thrill, adding movement and light in the garden. Unlike most silvery conifers, which demand strong light, this one does best in light shade. Because of this, it is less likely to be smothered by surrounding plants. It has a Christmas-tree shape and grows 4 to 8 inches a year. It probably won't get any taller than 10 feet, with a spread half as wide, although you may see it listed as growing much taller. Contrast its rather fine texture with something bolder like Allegheny spurge (Pachysandra procumbens).

Montana, people tend to think that there is a perfect plant for any given situation - there isn't always. You want fast growing evergreen and under 12 feet. It's a hard bill to fit. The above variety of Thuja is probably going to fit (not sure about your climate zone), but as the description says, it's often predicted to get much taller than what they're stating.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 09:04 pm
Ah, yes, Osso had the same feelings........
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 09:07 pm
Another thing - evergreens tend to be more expensive than plain old plants like privet. I imagine a fence would be much cheaper than a bank of thuja.
0 Replies