Any of You Desire to Pocket $250K?

baddog1

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 07:45 am
parados wrote:
Unless you stack the deck, evolution is already shown to exist.

1. can a species become a seperate species and unable to breed with other progeny of a common ancestor? (The answer is yes and it has been observed.)
2. Can you trace DNA to show common ancestors? (Yes)
3. Can you mathematically show that it is possible (and probable) for all life presently on the planet to arrive from a single cell billions of years ago?

parados:

It just occurred to me that I may be looking at 'evolution' in a different light than is intended on here. (Which is disconcerting for a mostly-literal person like me!)

I agree with you on #'s 1&2 and am undecided on #3. Succinctly - I believe that life was created and evolution (as we know it) is part of the 'master' plan so to speak.

ebrown:

I fully understand the likelihood of finding a "fair panel of scientists" no matter what the issue. I was however interested in your response to Hovind's challenge that included scientists on the panel. As scientists hold the key to evolutionists theories - it interested me to see your negative response to members of the science community that you rely on for your own beliefs.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 08:02 am
Evolution existing is seperate from asking whether God exists. Evolution happens. Whether God directs it is a seperate question Yet many confuse the question of God with the evolution question.

To insert God into the evolution question would be like arguing that a tree can't exist without God. While one could argue that a tree can't exist without God, they would find it hard to argue that the tree doesn't exist.
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 08:12 am
parados wrote:
Evolution existing is seperate from asking whether God exists. Evolution happens. Whether God directs it is a seperate question Yet many confuse the question of God with the evolution question.

Agreed.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 08:56 am
In the original challenge, Hovind gives a distorted definition of evolution:

Quote:
When I use the word evolution, I am not referring to the minor variations found in all of the various life forms (microevolution). I am referring to the general theory of evolution which believes these five major events took place without God:

1. Time, space, and matter came into existence by themselves.
2. Planets and stars formed from space dust.
3. Matter created life by itself.
4. Early life-forms learned to reproduce themselves.
5. Major changes occurred between these diverse life forms (i.e., fish changed to amphibians, amphibians changed to reptiles, and reptiles changed to birds or mammals).

Hovind is dishonestly mixing in issues of origin of life and origin of the universe. Evolutionary theory deals with the transformation and diversification of organisms over time. Evolution deals with the origin of species but not with the origin of life or the origin of the universe.

If you want an answer to Hovind's challenge, could you restate it in a more honest way, baddog?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 09:43 am
Quote:

I fully understand the likelihood of finding a "fair panel of scientists" no matter what the issue. I was however interested in your response to Hovind's challenge that included scientists on the panel. As scientists hold the key to evolutionists theories - it interested me to see your negative response to members of the science community that you rely on for your own beliefs.

You are incorrect. My objection was that the members of the panel were hand picked by someone with a vested interest in which side one this debate. I had no objective to the fact that members of the scientific community were on the panel-- as long as they are not hand picked from the very small number of scientists who hold his point of view.
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 10:27 am
ebrown_p wrote:
You are incorrect. My objection was that the members of the panel were hand picked by someone with a vested interest in which side one this debate. I had no objective to the fact that members of the scientific community were on the panel-- as long as they are not hand picked from the very small number of scientists who hold his point of view.

OK - I'm with you so far. Read on.

ebrown_p wrote:
I am in baddog. If you put up $250,000 and we provide a fair panel of scientists, I woul d be happy to take your money.

((to the others, please don't point out to baddog that there is a reason their is no fair challenge of this type))

But here you say that "we" provide a fair panel of scientists... How is a fair panel of scientists destermined? Wouldn't you have a vested interest?
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 10:31 am
wandeljw wrote:
Hovind is dishonestly mixing in issues of origin of life and origin of the universe. Evolutionary theory deals with the transformation and diversification of organisms over time. Evolution deals with the origin of species but not with the origin of life or the origin of the universe.

If you want an answer to Hovind's challenge, could you restate it in a more honest way, baddog?

I could; however I am pretty sure there would be pot-shots taken at my methodology. That is why I posed the following question in an earlier post:

"So, for those of you who objected to the rules that Hovind set forth for this issue - what rules would you deem as fair and appropriate? If the $250K was still on the table - what rules would be 'fair'"?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 10:39 am
You are making a couple of logical errors bad dog that need to be addressed before trying to answer your questions logically.

1) Science is not anti-religion. There are a couple of science clowns (Richard Dawkins is a very obnoxious example) who try to make science anti-religion, and there are a couple of religious people who try to make points by ascribing an anti-religion bias to science. Science as a process is not anti-religion and neither is science as a community committed to following a rational process.

2) The theory of evolution is accepted by the vast majority of scientists. This is not because they are anti-religion (in fact many of them are religious), it is because there is a vast amount of evidence for evolution.

Ironically, the evolution debate happened in the scientific community and was resolved (and yes for scientists it has been resolved) decades ago. This process of debate and resolution happened in Christian countries with Christian cultures and scientists and sponsors who were Christians. In spite of this they were convinced by the facts that evolution was the only way to explain the facts they observed.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 10:41 am
baddog1 wrote:
wandeljw wrote:

I could; however I am pretty sure there would be pot-shots taken at my methodology. That is why I posed the following question in an earlier post:

"So, for those of you who objected to the rules that Hovind set forth for this issue - what rules would you deem as fair and appropriate? If the $250K was still on the table - what rules would be 'fair'"?

In order to be "fair", the question needs to be stated in an honest way. I was hoping you yourself could state a question about evolution in a more honest way than Hovind did, baddog.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 10:44 am
Baddog, let's offer another, similar, challenge on an equally controversial subject.

Let's say someone would offer you $250,000 to prove that the Earth is round and orbits the Sun.

How would you propose a fair panel to arbitrate this discussion.

If I could pick the panel, I would win either side of this question.

If the panel were a representative sample of the scientific community, then it is clear that one side would have an advantage.
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 10:52 am
ebrown_p wrote:
You are making a couple of logical errors bad dog that need to be addressed before trying to answer your questions logically.

1) Science is not anti-religion. There are a couple of science clowns (Richard Dawkins is a very obnoxious example) who try to make science anti-religion, and there are a couple of religious people who try to make points by ascribing an anti-religion bias to science. Science as a process is not anti-religion and neither is science as a community committed to following a rational process.

2) The theory of evolution is accepted by the vast majority of scientists. This is not because they are anti-religion (in fact many of them are religious), it is because there is a vast amount of evidence for evolution.

Ironically, the evolution debate happened in the scientific community and was resolved (and yes for scientists it has been resolved) decades ago. This process of debate and resolution happened in Christian countries with Christian cultures and scientists and sponsors who were Christians. In spite of this they were convinced by the facts that evolution was the only way to explain the facts they observed.

Please re-read my reply to parados above as it relates to your assertions here.
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 11:01 am
wandeljw wrote:
baddog1 wrote:
wandeljw wrote:

In order to be "fair", the question needs to be stated in an honest way. I was hoping you yourself could state a question about evolution in a more honest way than Hovind did, baddog.

My $250,000 question would not be concerned with the process of evolution (traditional definition). My question would be related to how God fits into the process of evolution. I explained it in a previous post on this thread to parados.

My $250K question: Prove that God did not create the very first life form in existence that started the process commonly known as 'evolution'.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 11:03 am
Quote:

It just occurred to me that I may be looking at 'evolution' in a different light than is intended on here. (Which is disconcerting for a mostly-literal person like me!)

I agree with you on #'s 1&2 and am undecided on #3. Succinctly - I believe that life was created and evolution (as we know it) is part of the 'master' plan so to speak.

If this is the case... then what are we arguing about?

If we all agree that species come from predecessor species, and if we agree that two species can be shown through DNA to have a common ancestor... it seems like we all basically agree in evolution.

Don't confuse scientific questions with non-scientific ones.

Science is very good at explaining the how... and the "why when why means 'cause and effect'". Evolution is a question that is well suited to be answered by science.

Science is incapable to say anything about God or about any being that lives outside of the laws of nature. Whether God exists can not be answered by science.

There is no reason we can't believe that evolution was designed by God as part of His master plan of creation, culminating in the existence of the mind known to you as Ebrown.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 11:05 am
Let me put this in another way.

Evolution as the process that new species developed through natural selection has been proven beyond a reasonable doubt.

Any scientist (or anyone else) who claims that this proves there is no God is lying.

Don't confuse the two issues. One has been proven... the other one hasn't.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 11:40 am
baddog1 wrote:
My $250K question: Prove that God did not create the very first life form in existence that started the process commonly known as 'evolution'.

Your question is about the "origin of life". Evolutionary biology does not address that question.

Furthermore, your question involves the supernatural (scientific inquiry deals with natural phenomena and natural processes only).

You are also asking people to "prove a negative".
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 01:48 pm
Quote:

Your question is about the "origin of life". Evolutionary biology does not address that question.

OK.

Quote:
Furthermore, your question involves the supernatural (scientific inquiry deals with natural phenomena and natural processes only).

I don't mean this personally, however the 'supernatural' angle is really non-productive and largely incorrect. What is considered to be supernatural today will quite possibly be commonplace tomorrow. ie: People who can recover blurry sight, correct hearing loss, fly into outer space, land on the moon, perform surgery through a 3/4" incision, discover that the earth is round, etc. And it is mostly the forward-thinking scientists who would not accept that something is supernatural although the present evidence and populus may have been telling them so.

Quote:
You are also asking people to "prove a negative".
I am unsure if you're asking me a question. Are you saying that I cannot prove a negative?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 01:56 pm
Baddog,

I think the term "supernatural" is appropriate-- it simply means above and beyond the laws of nature.

God is above and beyond the laws of nature, no?
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 01:58 pm
baddog1 wrote:
I don't mean this personally, however the 'supernatural' angle is really non-productive and largely incorrect. What is considered to be supernatural today will quite possibly be commonplace tomorrow. ie: People who can recover blurry sight, correct hearing loss, fly into outer space, land on the moon, perform surgery through a 3/4" incision, discover that the earth is round, etc. And it is mostly the forward-thinking scientists who would not accept that something is supernatural although the present evidence and populus may have been telling them so.

God is the key word in your challenge. God always was and always will be supernatural.

Asking people to prove a negative is a logical fallacy.

Basically you are trying to "clean up" the thoroughly fraudulent challenge made by Hovind. Nice try, baddog, but you cannot succeed in this if "Dr. Dino" is your model.
0 Replies

Pauligirl

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 09:12 pm
baddog1 wrote:

Before that could be done (if it could be done) wouldn't one have to first prove the existance of that particular God?
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 05:37 am
ebrown_p wrote:
Baddog,

I think the term "supernatural" is appropriate-- it simply means above and beyond the laws of nature.

God is above and beyond the laws of nature, no?

An entity is considered to be supernatural until it is no longer "above and beyond the laws of nature", for at the moment of discovery - it becomes a part of the law of nature. Therefore (like many former supernatural events that were discovered), if/when God is discovered, then God is no longer supernatural.

IMO; the sharpest scientists do not consider anything to be supernatural, but a discovery in process.
0 Replies