Cd Burner and Media Player

quinn1

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 09:50 pm
Driving me nuts....all assistance is appreciated.

I have been copying all my cds onto my good ol computer here for like 2 years and not until recently had any problems.
I copy them and then make my own Cd's.
I recently bought a few new cds to add and I'm getting the files but, when I go to play them..all is silent.
Now, I already did the update on Media Player and the patch for it as well.
I updated the backup for licenses and all and still...silence. The other files still work, and soon Im going to try to load up a few more of the new CDs but, since Ive gotten only one out of three new ones so far, I'm wondering if I've missed something important.

I feel like i've lost my mind...and probably have from all the banging my head against the thing has done so, if you have any good ideas...I'm all ears.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,465 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Monger

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 11:40 pm
Try copying one of the old ones that you know worked for you. If that copies fine, it's not something you're doing wrong but rather the CD has some form of "anti-piracy" system. There are always ways to get around it, but I don't copy CDs so I'm not up to date with that kinda thing. Maybe someone else here can tell you how to do it.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2003 08:13 am
From what I understand the 'anti-piracy' thing has to do with the licensing and since I bought them, and updated my licensing...I would think that wouldnt be the problem. Just wondering if there is something else regarding the anti-piracy that I dont know about now though.
What if something else has changed and I go to recopy an old one and now that wont work as well? stumped.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2003 11:07 pm
quinn1 wrote:
From what I understand the 'anti-piracy' thing has to do with the licensing and since I bought them, and updated my licensing...I would think that wouldnt be the problem.

All you're doing is backing up your WindowsMediaPlayer-generated "license" for songs you've already copied in case you have to reinstall Windows down the line (in which case music you copied with Windows Media Player wouldn't work until you restored the license).

The Windows Media Player licencing thing is Microsoft's way of preventing file swapping. The license is generated after the music is already copied, and has nothing to do with any anti-piracy scheme on the CDs themselves. Windows Media Player 7 had an option to disable Microsoft's pointless licensing thing, and version 9 might too.

1. Your CD has some kind of anti-piracy scheme.
2. Windows Media Player Licenses are a completely separate issue. WMP licenses are completely unnecessary, and can be disabled.
3. Using a program other than WMP to copy your CDs will avoid WMP licences, but not necessarily the anti-piracy system on the CD itself.
4. There are ways around your CD's problem, but I don't use those kinds of systems (I just download music) so I can't tell you the ins & outs of that.

..I hope that's helpful, quinn
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 12:02 am
quinn1 wrote:
What if something else has changed and I go to recopy an old one and now that wont work as well?

That would indicate one of two things:

1. The software you're using to copy music has developed a problem.
2. Your audio-related hardware has developed a problem.

(Most likely however, neither is the case here.)
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 08:12 pm
Thanks Monger
yes 9 has disable as well

and I agree, a problem has developed...now, just to find it.

Thanks for all the info!
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 04:52 pm
Oh yes....
Im using Adaptec to copy....

if anyone knows any specific bugs realated to that and the situation above, Id appreciate the input.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 09:08 pm
Wish I could help, but the damn audio has me befuddled. Windows Media Player 7 says that it can;e play audio files, so I use cd player under accessories. Have lost Windows audio all together and can'e figure out why.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 10:25 pm
quinn1 wrote:
Im using Adaptec to copy....

Adaptec what? Adaptec Easy CD Creator, maybe? Your first post indicated you're having trouble copying music to the PC, but now I'm guessing that possibly it's copying from the PC to a CD that's causing problems -- which one is the case here? What exact steps are you taking? All you've said so far to describe the problem is "I recently bought a few new cds to add and I'm getting the files but, when I go to play them..all is silent", "The other files still work" and now you've pointed out you're using some software from Adaptec to "copy" (?). I still don't think it's bugs in your software, but if that's the problem there would be no way for someone to determine that without more information.

sumac wrote:
Wish I could help, but the damn audio has me befuddled. Windows Media Player 7 says that it can;e play audio files, so I use cd player under accessories. Have lost Windows audio all together and can'e figure out why.

The reason your CDs are still working is cuz CD drives include all hardware required to play audio CDs on their own, without any supporting software/hardware, so the CD player program is just telling it play, stop, etc. rather than having to actually mess with the music files/sound card/drivers themselves as it would have to with MP3's and such. As my first guess I'd say maybe your sound card driver should be reinstalled. Try posting more details about the problem here & hopefully someone will be able to help you get it sorted out.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 12:25 pm
sorry to be so vague.
I purchase new cd's.
I bring them home and put them into my cd drive.
I use Adaptec CD Creator to copy the files onto my pc as wmp file.
I open Media Player and play the file, with no sound on some, perfect files on others.
So, I hope that helps clear up any confusion.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 08:24 am
The kind of information a tech would need to diagnose similar problems are along the following lines:

Your version of Windows..
Version of Easy CD Creator..
Sound card details..
Have you installed any new software/hardware/updates recently..
With the music that doesn't work does it just cut off or does it play silence for the full duration of the song..
That kinda thing.

I realize it can be very difficult to give information about something when you're not exactly sure what's going on, but I think a lot of people find that showing techies some effort in this regard earns a lot of brownie points. Very Happy

At any rate those details are probably not needed if you take the following test to determine the source of the problem:
  1. Re-copy a CD you know worked it the past. Does it still work?
  2. Re-copy a CD that didn't work the last time you tried. Is it still not working?

If the answer to both questions is yes, the problem is related to the CD itself.

I mentioned anti-piracy systems in previous posts (this kind of thing is becoming more common), but there are a number of other reasons some CDs won't copy easily.

Before when P2P networks weren't as widespread, I used to be be a hardcore CD-to-MP3 copier. Every once in a while I'd come across a CD that just wouldn't copy. I used to use a program called Xing AudioCatalyst which had a number of cool advanced features, and several different CD ripping methods (this program is still available, but it was bought off by the makers of Real Player so it hasn't had a new version in years). Still, even with that program every now & then a specific CD wouldn't copy properly, and I'd have to use the program's analog copy method. (The technical reasons for this are something I've never figured out.)

There are a number of freeware programs that will do an analog copy to a WAV file for you (for example Winamp, which is primarily a media player), and I think Adaptec Easy CD Creator version 4 & up can convert WAV's to MP3's for you.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 11:55 am
Great tidbits of information...only one thing...I have no MP3 player so, all of those options are out...maybe someday however.
Windows Me
Adaptec CD 4
No new programs, only new update was Media Player.
Actually as soon as I get a chance I thought of checking version/updates for Adaptec.
Tried the re-copy not working..still not working.
Tried the recopy of working..still working.
The ones with no sound are no sound throughtout.
Have yet to try different approaches to the files myself, should probably try those as well.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 12:07 pm
Great. That determines the source of the trouble then.

PS: Windows Media Player, Easy CD Creator (4 and up) and Winamp (a free program I linked to in my last post) all play MP3's and WMA's.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 06:16 pm
I mean that I dont have an MP3 player (or compatibility) in either my home stereo or car, or a portable device. Smile
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 11:29 pm
I'd recommend you have a look at Easy CD Creator's help files sometime.

A well-featured enhancement to version 4, which you're using, was converting MP3's to regular audio CDs.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 04:36 am
Dammit! a2k swallowed my post.

I've burned only a few... year+ old Dell, WinXP, Media Player and/or Roxio that came with the box...

Won't play on the portable in the car (made c. 1995), won't play on the boombox at work (c. 2000)...

Will play on the CD player hooked into the stereo at home (c. 1985)!

Maybe we just need older CD players.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 11:14 am
Seal..maybe we're just too old period. Wink

I had the opposite problem at first....would play on old car trunk mounted player which I found out mfg @ 1995, would play in old boombox, but had problems in my home cd player with some. New home is dvd/cd player and all seem to be fine...so far.

I think its about keeping us on our toes is all.

ah..enhancements to Adaptec 4...excellent...hoping to try that all out shortly here.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2003 04:32 am
Too old?

What was the music you were trying to copy? Patsy Cline?
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2003 11:43 am
interestingly enough..that copied okay Smile
0 Replies