What's on-spot jogging?

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 08:10 pm
What is it actually? I jog in the veranda. That's not as good as jogging in an open space, of course, but I do move between point A and point B. Is that on-spot jogging? Or is it jog over one particular spot only--not moving between any points?

And is it a good exercise at all?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,676 • Replies: 8
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 08:11 pm
I've never heard of on-spot jogging, but have heard and done jogging in place, as you do. Of course it is exercise.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 08:15 pm
I haven't heard of it, too, but I saw a few people referring to jogging in place as on-spot jogging on some forums.

And how about jogging at one point? When it rains, which it does at this time of the year, I have to resort to this one, but I wanted to make sure I don't lead myself to injuries.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 09:26 pm
Seems seriously boring as a thing to do on purpose for exercise; I don't know about increased injury from it. People tend to jog in place while waiting for traffic lights in big cities here in the US.

Reminds me slightly of jumping rope, which - at least at the beginning - keeps you occupied trying not to trip and fatally run out of breath at the same time. As one gets better, one gets very smoothe at it, and the rope begins to sing....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 09:28 pm
Sorry, I see you didn't ask if it was exercise at all, but if it was good exercise. I read too fast, I beg your pardon.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2007 02:15 am
Yes "on spot" or "on the spot" jogging is running without moving in any direction. Its a common term.

A little like running on a treadmill I guess.

Arms bent at the elbows and held at waist height, palms flat and downward. lift your knee until your thigh slaps your palm repeat with other leg, now faster and faster, Lift those knees high! come on spidergal.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2007 06:19 am
Thanks both. But this not a good thing to do, I have come to believe. I have actually been doing it for a few days now, and yesterday developed a deadening pain in my knees. It's not lactate, I am sure. So, I would better turn to normal jogging.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2007 06:22 am
Those of us who are older and more....laden with gravitas....can make the best of rainy days by walking in place. This counts towards the recommended 10,000 steps-a-day.

Walking in place is much quieter than running/jogging in place, particularly for the downstairs neighbors.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2007 06:26 am
Of course, it's OK to do it for a minute or so to warm your body up, but more than that would ensure a visit to physiotherapist.

Dadpad: Yes, it's a bit like exercising on treadmill. But there's one very important difference between the two. In on-spot jogging, you don't (actually, can't) put the whole foot on floor; that puts a lot of pressure on joints, and leads to injury. Running on treadmill is similar to your natural running -- the whole foot comes in contact with the floor.

I have a feeling that you are referring to something else.
0 Replies