Why do Deists seem less likely to congregate than Theists?

epenthesis

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 11:57 pm
roger wrote:
Maybe they just don't have anything to talk about.

Roger, how could you. They have no-one to blame.

Elsewhere,

I quite enjoy pagan festivals.
0 Replies

eltejano

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 02:15 am
Hi there, Mesquite!

Quote:
I'll bet there are more than a few baptists that do their own blending of pagan traditions and Christianity.

We could easily fill a 150 page thread with the sins and shortcomings of baptists, but I'm not sure that one would be among them. In fact, we tend to go too far in the opposite direction, insisting that indigenous peoples divest themselves completely, not only of their pagan beliefs, but their whole culture - their very identity!

For reasons I have never understood, the spanish and french colonists did not seem to suffer so much from the shameful cultural intolerance and virulent racism that always afflicted my english ancestors - and that very intolerance precluded their ability to share the Good News with native peoples. Jesus was not pleased!

In your area, for example, while my anglo/saxon, protestant forbears were busily exterminating the Apache, their close cousins in Sonora, the Yaqui, had been christians for 100+ years. The great jesuit missionary, Father Eusebio Kino, successfully brought christianity to the Yaqui because he didn't demand that they reject their whole culture and become europeans. He understood that the core gospel message of salvation is what really matters. He succeeded because his heart was filled with love, not hatred, and all peoples everywhere respond to love.

The policies of the great colonial powers toward native americans can be summed-up, it seems to me, in one sentence (not original with me) -"The spanish christianized them, the french married them and the english exterminated them."

Because if this history, there have been times when I wanted to convert to catholicism. I opted instead to stay with my own people and work to make the necessary changes in attitudes - and, with the Lord's help, there have been some successes in that regard - quite a bit of success, actually.

If I don't have my historical facts exactly right, I welcome constructive corrections.

Jack
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 08:41 am
eltejano wrote:
Hi there, Mesquite!

Quote:
I'll bet there are more than a few baptists that do their own blending of pagan traditions and Christianity.

We could easily fill a 150 page thread with the sins and shortcomings of baptists, but I'm not sure that one would be among them. In fact, we tend to go too far in the opposite direction, insisting that indigenous peoples divest themselves completely, not only of their pagan beliefs, but their whole culture - their very identity!

For reasons I have never understood, the spanish and french colonists did not seem to suffer so much from the shameful cultural intolerance and virulent racism that always afflicted my english ancestors - and that very intolerance precluded their ability to share the Good News with native peoples. Jesus was not pleased!

In your area, for example, while my anglo/saxon, protestant forbears were busily exterminating the Apache, their close cousins in Sonora, the Yaqui, had been christians for 100+ years. The great jesuit missionary, Father Eusebio Kino, successfully brought christianity to the Yaqui because he didn't demand that they reject their whole culture and become europeans. He understood that the core gospel message of salvation is what really matters. He succeeded because his heart was filled with love, not hatred, and all peoples everywhere respond to love.

The policies of the great colonial powers toward native americans can be summed-up, it seems to me, in one sentence (not original with me) -"The spanish christianized them, the french married them and the english exterminated them."

Because if this history, there have been times when I wanted to convert to catholicism. I opted instead to stay with my own people and work to make the necessary changes in attitudes - and, with the Lord's help, there have been some successes in that regard - quite a bit of success, actually.

If I don't have my historical facts exactly right, I welcome constructive corrections.

Jack
If I understand you right, Baptists have given up the celbration of Christmas and Easter, among others. Is that true? I did not know that.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 11:42 am
neologist wrote:
If I understand you right, Baptists have given up the celbration of Christmas and Easter, among others. Is that true? I did not know that.

At least neo correctly identified the target of my post.

I had also expected Setanta to comment of the true effect of the Spanish Conquistadors on the native populations of the new world. My recollection is that it was not the all wine and roses portrayed by eltejano.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 02:41 pm
That's why I kind of wished Jack would have stayed around. I sent him a polite pm. Maybe he will get it.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 01:17 pm
Re: BBB
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Dogma is destructive.

BBB

Is that your dogma?
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 01:26 am
Re: BBB
real life wrote:
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Dogma is destructive.

BBB

Is that your dogma?

Sounds more like an observation to me. For someone who argues for absolutes and condems the idea of relativity, you seem to play with context a lot. A tad contrary says me.

T
K
O
0 Replies