soakITup

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 10:31 am
baddog1 wrote:

However - you didn't answer the question. Why get married?

I wish I could answer that. I don't even know if I will ever get married again. I'm guessing for most it is for religious reasons, or lawful reasons, or to sanctify and declare a commitment. Speaking as a young divorcee I can say that when I commit myself to someone again, something like a marriage certificate won't be necessary to prove that I am committed. I will know it in my heart. If for some reason be it within or out of my control that commitment is broken, all of the same hurt feelings and raw emotions will still result. The only difference will be that two people who were once in love can now walk away with their emotional scars and start over. They won't have to throw away thousands of dollars and months of agony resulting in them harboring even more ill will toward one another. Many would say this is a cynical distrust in the bond of marriage...perhaps it is. Unfortuanatly based on my experience it is one that I must adopt. Happily ever after is a fallacy, and to believe that vows or law protect and produce happily ever after is fairy tale. Anytime I hear that someone is getting married, I am happy for them, it is a happy time, and I always wish the best for them. I wish that each and every person that got married could prove my theory wrong, but until that happens, I will remain a realist.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 10:36 am
baddog1 wrote:
sozobe wrote:
No. I see it as a matter of promises. The married woman most likely explicitly or implicitly made a promise to stay faithful to her husband. (If there was no such promise -- if it was explicit that each partner was free to do as he or she pleased -- the affair wouldn't concern me.)

The single man hasn't made any such promise.

sozobe: Do you feel that the single man has made (or should have made) any such promise to society?

Not really. I mean, "be nice," in a general way. But you asked "did he [the single man] commit adultery?" and my answer is no. Whatever he did, it's not adultery IMO.
0 Replies

soakITup

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 10:46 am
The more I re-read this thread, I have a few questions. Why is it that many of you are labeling the "single man" as scum, stupid, doing something dumb, losing respect for him? If you read my previous post you know where I stand on marriage. I'd just like to further evaluate the perception that is being shared among you in regards to a single person falling in love with a married person. Do you disagree with it soley because the married person should be "off limits"? If that person, divorced their spouse (knowing all along it was to be with the single person) does that make it okay? In essense the single person still "stole" the married person...but is he less "scummy" because the person is no longer married?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 12:58 pm
Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
baddog1 wrote:
So why get married?

That's an excellent question.

I can't think of any good reason other than conservation of financial resources. Historically - inheritance, property and bloodlines.

Medical benefits.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 05:19 pm
Main Entry: adul·tery
Pronunciation: &-'d&l-t(&-)rE
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -ter·ies
Etymology: Middle English, alteration of avoutrie, from Anglo-French avulterie, from Latin adulterium, from adulter adulterer, back-formation from adulterare
: voluntary sexual intercourse between a married man and someone other than his wife or between a married woman and someone other than her husband; also : an act of adultery

He has not comitted adultery...he has committed fornication...depends on whether you use the Bible as your moral compass. I do. I believe that God gave us the guidelines he did to protect us. Fornication is as wrong as adultery. But the person who commits adultery also has broken a vow and that is a serious issue as well. Sexual purity is a wonderful thing...sex outside of marriage is wrong. The man has much to answer to. To the God of the universe, to a woman he helped break marriage vows with and to the husband whose wife he dishonored. He is very responsible for his actions...even if it isn't considered adultery.
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 05:47 am
mismi40 wrote:
Main Entry: adul·tery
Pronunciation: &-'d&l-t(&-)rE
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -ter·ies
Etymology: Middle English, alteration of avoutrie, from Anglo-French avulterie, from Latin adulterium, from adulter adulterer, back-formation from adulterare
: voluntary sexual intercourse between a married man and someone other than his wife or between a married woman and someone other than her husband; also : an act of adultery

He has not comitted adultery...he has committed fornication...depends on whether you use the Bible as your moral compass. I do. I believe that God gave us the guidelines he did to protect us. Fornication is as wrong as adultery. But the person who commits adultery also has broken a vow and that is a serious issue as well. Sexual purity is a wonderful thing...sex outside of marriage is wrong. The man has much to answer to. To the God of the universe, to a woman he helped break marriage vows with and to the husband whose wife he dishonored. He is very responsible for his actions...even if it isn't considered adultery.

You bring up a good point mismi. It is my opinion that betrayal to the one closest to you is the most powerful emotional response in cases of adultery. Single guy (arguably) betrayed only himself.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 07:05 am
Some people get married just for children, and in fact think their partner sucks in bed. I know, women tell me all the time they arent happy sexually with their partner (but only if they are married or have children together) never has a women complained to me about a bad lover who was a friend with benifits, or the one night stand with the delivery guy etc..

Why should we have sex with one person and have to sign a government document to allow you to have sex?

marriage , it seems, is a sex license, no matter how you look at it this is what you are defining marriage as.

Im glad i dont plan on getting married, if the women i love who loves me back loves me enough, then we wont need a marriage to say we can offically be happy or whatever.

No wonder religious people love their religions so much, your all sexually repressed and need something to take your mind off of it Razz
(im kidding,i dont care hehe)

tHE GUY DIDNT DO ANYTHING WRONG, your simply saying he did b/c a book said so. sex is natural, marriage is artificial.

I say marriage is worse than "adultery" or "fornication"

Women arent property anymore! nowdays it is more like equal ownership at least.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 05:39 pm
The Bible says nothing about having to sign a government document stating that you are married. It says that you are to be married to have sex...marriage being the uniting of two seperate lives together to form one. It is the vow, not the paper that really makes you married. I have an Aunt and an Uncle that never got married according to paper. However they have lived together in a committed relationship for 16 years. I consider them husband and wife...they consider each other husband and wife.

Now...I am not afraid of signing paper to show the world that I am committed to my spouse. I am not afraid to vow to be faithful to this man and to love him all the days of my life...for better or worse in sickness or health for richer or for poorer. That actually helps me. Because when I do get dissatisfied (which we all do - but we are not dogs and do not have to satisfy our baser instincts) I remember what I said - and I am always happy that I did.

If you choose to get married and you decide that you are unsatisfied in your marriage bed and go to someone beside your spouse then you are in fact a liar and a cheat. Because you know your actions will hurt someone you are suppose to love. That is your mistake and you will feel bad about it - from time to time anyway.

And the reason a woman has never complained to you about a bad lover or a friend with benefits (gag) so to speak is because they are not with that person long enough for it to become commonplace. Sex should come with responsibilities - an act as personal as this should take into consideration where it will end up and if it is not where you like then don't do it. And it is our fault if sex gets stodgy within marriage....we just have to work at it to keep it exciting ...and our work ethic sucks these days...get as much as you can for as little work as you can. Much easier to have an affair - just don't have to work that hard...pretty sorry attitude.

Dogs sniff and search and cannot control their appetites. We - as intellectual entities - can. And should. You may not get hurt - I think one day you will if you continue to live in a morally corrupt way - but I am sure someone you have been with has. Being hurt is not the end of the world...but as fellow laborers here on earth shouldn't we care about each other and each other's feelings as much as we do our own? I just think it is common courtesy to consider others and their feelings and to restrain ourselves - discipline ourselves so to speak. It is a good thing...and a man who has self control is a wonderful and very attractive thing to me....
0 Replies