Tour de France has become a joke

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 08:50 am
It seems as if the World Championship in September in Stuttgart/Germany might be cancelled - neither the State nor the Federal government are supporting it anymore ...
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 04:27 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Well, he was lying towards the doping inspectors - both national and international. He got 4 warnings - three are eneough to get kicked out (due to some faults, however, the national as well as the international counted seperately).

Besides that, he had signed an agreement to give his correct address for training - otherwise .... ee what was done.
(Everyone actually had expected this to happen much earlier, besides his supporters, of course.)

Thanks for the added info.
0 Replies

noinipo

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 05:35 pm
This is not on topic, but should be mentioned. Famous athletes have won olympic medals with the help of drugs and the knowledge of their national bodies. If all the medals won that way had to be given back, they would fill a barrel.
Now, 15 years after the disgrace of Ben JOHNSON, the reckoning south of the border has finally begun. Since the discovery of THG, at least five prominent U.S. athletes, including the world's top female middle-distance runner, Regina Jacobs, have tested positive for the new drug, while others await their test results. Still more, including sprinters Kelli White and Chryste Gaines, escaped the THG dragnet, only to come up positive for other drugs like the psycho-stimulant modafinil. And the lid on the U.S. history of covering up drug offences is about to break open: last April, one former U.S. anti-doping official released documents showing more than 100 U.S. athletes - including 19 medal winners - were allowed to compete in various Olympics after testing positive for banned substances between 1988 and 2000. The revelation confirmed the worst suspicions of Olympic cynics. And the mere mention of one of those names - guilty of three positive tests for a stimulant in 1988, yet known for his public attacks on his rival, Johnson - is enough to make most Canadians gag: Carl Lewis.
http://thecanadianencyclopedia.com/index.cfm?PgNm=TCE&Params=M1ARTM0012552
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 10:11 am
all over bar the trip down the home strait.

Well done Cadel Evans. first Aussie on the podium of the holy grail of cycling.

well done also to local champ Simon Gerrans 94 in 2007 You worked your butt off for the team my son we're all proud of our Man from snowy river.

Mulga Bills Bycycle
A.B. (Banjo) Patterson

Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze;
He turned away the good old horse that served him many days;
He dressed himself in cycling clothes, resplendent to be seen;
He hurried off to town and bought a shining new machine;
And as he wheeled it through the door, with air of lordly pride,
The grinning shop assistant said, "Excuse me, can you ride?"

"See here, young man," said Mulga Bill, "from Walgett to the sea,
From Conroy's Gap to Castlereagh, there's none can ride like me.
I'm good all round at everything as everybody knows,
Although I'm not the one to talk - I hate a man that blows.
But riding is my special gift, my chiefest, sole delight;
Just ask a wild duck can it swim, a wildcat can it fight.
There's nothing clothed in hair or hide, or built of flesh or steel,
There's nothing walks or jumps, or runs, on axle, hoof, or wheel,
But what I'll sit, while hide will hold and girths and straps are tight:
I'll ride this here two-wheeled concern right straight away at sight."

'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that sought his own abode,
That perched above Dead Man's Creek, beside the mountain road.
He turned the cycle down the hill and mounted for the fray,
But 'ere he'd gone a dozen yards it bolted clean away.
It left the track, and through the trees, just like a silver steak,
It whistled down the awful slope towards the Dead Man's Creek.

It shaved a stump by half an inch, it dodged a big white-box:
The very wallaroos in fright went scrambling up the rocks,
The wombats hiding in their caves dug deeper underground,
As Mulga Bill, as white as chalk, sat tight to every bound.
It struck a stone and gave a spring that cleared a fallen tree,
It raced beside a precipice as close as close could be;
And then as Mulga Bill let out one last despairing shriek
It made a leap of twenty feet into the Dean Man's Creek.

'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that slowly swam ashore:
He said, "I've had some narrer shaves and lively rides before;
I've rode a wild bull round a yard to win a five-pound bet,
But this was the most awful ride that I've encountered yet.
I'll give that two-wheeled outlaw best; it's shaken all my nerve
To feel it whistle through the air and plunge and buck and swerve.
It's safe at rest in Dead Man's Creek, we'll leave it lying still;
A horse's back is good enough henceforth for Mulga Bill."

The Sydney Mail, 25 July 1896.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 10:43 am
Why is it a joke?

I think the Tour is great. It wouldnt be the same without the drugs and scandals. These boys are pushing themselves beyond normal human capabilities, and if they get some medical help, medicine learns something, ultimately for the benefit of us all. Similarly the materials of construction of a modern bike are right at the cutting edge. The Tour has everything, sex drugs rock and roll, technology, entertainment, lawbreaking...its fantastic.

Its not a joke...but then I never said it was a sport either.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 12:13 pm
The way to do this is to just test everyone at the beginning. Whoever comes up least positive is declared the winner.

I can't say I've ever been a TDF fan. These are guys with genetics, training, and equipment the rest of us can't have for love or money. Anyway, "real riders" use bikes to go places, even if that means playing in traffic. The ultimate cyclists to me are NYC messengers.
0 Replies

noinipo

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 09:37 am
Let's declare the Tour de France wide open. All riders take drugs until they hum. They ride the whole tour in one go, no stopping at all. After they do all of France in four non-stop days, they all collapse and die.
The family of the winner gets one million dollars.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 09:44 am
.... just a couple of minutes to go ...
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 12:32 pm
I applaud all the riders, drug fuelled or not. In the early days they took cocaine and brandy, it wasnt illegal.

I'm not exactly advocating "anything goes", but on the other hand the cat and mouse game between those who take advantage of what medical science can give, and those equally skilled technicians trying to catch them out, adds to the general air of mystique to Le Tour. imho. or should that be in my epo?

Of course the respectable sponsors will want nothing to do with "drug cheats" so I think their days are numbered. But there are many other people really interested in what can be done, perhaps not to win prizes in a "sporting event" but maybe the nobel prize for medicine.
0 Replies