Works Font Cache problem

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2007 09:57 am
In Spreadsheet, when I try to change my font - either style or size - or choose to have dollars entered as 50.00, for example, with the decimal point and two zeros shown, I go to Format>Font for the first situation and Format>Number for the second. Unfortunately, in either case the result is that the computer blacks out, goes to standby, and restarts itself.

Further info: I use an HP Pavilion a1550y with XP Home. The problem only appears in Works, not Word, and is connected according to one error message I received with the MS Works Font Cache.

Is this fixable or would it make more sense just to reinstal Works Suite 2006? (Or is reinstalling the chicken way out?)

On a related subject I have some questions about designing tables in Word, but I think that had better go as a separate thread, so I'll post it as "Can tables designed in Word provide for a running total?"
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 552 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Heliotrope

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 02:07 pm
You know this sounds awfully like a problem I had a great deal of difficulty resolving.
It was in Word and I'd get about 5 seconds of use out of a document before the PC spontaneously restarts. Bang, power off and a reboot. No warning, no chance to intervene. Zap. Gone.

The answer was my video drivers.
I downloaded the latest ones and installed them and all was well.
I did post here about it ages ago.

It's worth a try Tomk.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 04:37 pm
Tomkitten

seriously, I think you need to invest in getting Office Suite...

What you use has so many limitations.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 05:59 pm
Works Font Cache problem
Chai - I don't really need all the other Office stuff. Word for text purposes - preparing lectures and such - and Works Spreadsheet for some light record-keeping, cover my needs nicely. I'm not in business; I don't even keep a lot of personal stuff in my computer. I rarely use Works Data Base, even.

Of course, I'm always tempted by Office, just because it would be something new and shiny on my machine, but eventually the new-and-shiny would become ordinary bread-and-butter. One thing I know, is that I'd never wear out some of its features. Basically, it would just be a fun indulgence, but thanks for thinking of it, anyway.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 07:14 pm
Well, all due respect, a lot of the questions you've asked in the past would never have come up if you had Office.

It isn't a toy, someone that will get old over time. It's what is used to produce documents, and tend to your light record keeping, and light bookkeeping needs

To be honest, I don't know of one other soul who uses Works or even knows what it is. I didn't even know what it was until you were asking questions and couldn't apply the answers given to what you were using.

but que cera cera
0 Replies