Taking people's picture

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 08:16 am
Is it legal to take a stranger's picture in public, without their consent.
For example, I'm taking a picture of my friends, and in the background there's a guy in a business suit, walking along. Could I be sued even though I'm not gonna use his picture to make money?

What if, I'm walking down the street and some half-naked girl walking by, and I take her picture?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,951 • Replies: 19
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 08:30 am
You should be okay if you don't intend to publish the photo and you take it on a public street.

Be forewarned though: many places that you think are public are not - bus stations, train stations, airports, restaurants, etc. - those are really private places and you can get into a lot of trouble or at least a major hassle.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 08:31 am
Oh - you're in Canada. Your laws may be very different than American ones!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 08:39 am
Not famaliar enough with Canadian law but here in the state's it is entirely "legal" to take someone's picture if they are in a place where a "normal" (whatever that means) person would not expect privacy. If you tooks the pics in a public park or on a public street they wouldn't have much to complain about.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 08:40 am
Ah! I see Boomer jumped in here with a more accurate line of reasoning while I was looking. Wink
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 08:43 am
My parents would be very proud to know that all that money thrown into photography school, including the essential communication law class, were not wasted!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 08:47 am
(Look at that little cutie! I need to take some B&Ws.)

Good luck with that half-naked girl thing, BC. Wink
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 08:53 am
Hiya sozobe - unless you're doing your own processing it's a lot cheaper to have your color film printed in black and white than to shoot in black and white. I have all of my snaps burned to CD then change it to what I want in photoshop.

By the way, I did get your PM and intend to respond when things calm down a bit because right now I'm too confused to even think!
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 08:55 am
Is it illegal to snap photos of naked women in their bedrooms while sitting in trees outside their apartments?

Uh, a friend wanted to know.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 08:59 am
Oh, interesting, Boomer!

(I think you DID reply to my PM...? Sorry things are all confuzzled.)

Slappy, you're getting too predictable, dude. Razz
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 09:05 am
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
Is it illegal to snap photos of naked women in their bedrooms while sitting in trees outside their apartments?

Uh, a friend wanted to know.

Yer better off with a decent 35mm SLR connected to a telescope and taking the pics from a nearby roof top. Less chance of falling out of the tree that way! Wink
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 11:33 am
sozobe wrote:

Slappy, you're getting too predictable, dude. Razz

Dammit, you're right. That was weak.

I SUCK! I'M STUPID!!

Soz, I was over a friend's house last night, and they have a little picture of your avatar on the wall in their kitchen. I thought about you. Not in a sexual way though, that would be weird.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 01:01 pm
LOL!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 05:24 pm
Hey Slappy - your friend may be able to turn his perversion into a high paying career! I have a friend who makes good dough taking photos of the sex-trade workers for publicty and advertising.
0 Replies

Blackie Chan

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 06:51 pm
fishin' wrote:

Yer better off with a decent 35mm SLR connected to a telescope and taking the pics from a nearby roof top. Less chance of falling out of the tree that way! Wink

In Toronto, Canada, it's legal for women to walk around topless. Mind you, you rarely see it, but it's legal.

Also, with some clothes that some ladies wear, technically they are half naked.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 07:18 pm
Slappy, Is your friend's name "doo doo" by any chance? Wink
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 08:13 pm
Blackie_Chan wrote:
fishin' wrote:

In Toronto, Canada, it's legal for women to walk around topless. Mind you, you rarely see it, but it's legal.

Also, with some clothes that some ladies wear, technically they are half naked.

Really? I didn't realize that.

Welcome to A2K :-)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 09:23 am
Hahaha...!

(How'd I miss this?)

Slappy-san, you have been granted with a vision of Our Lady of the Riveters. Where her mark appears, a Good Woman resides. Someone who is kind, generous, intelligent, and just may be up for some hot threesome action. Heed this mark.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 09:27 am
sozobe wrote:
Hahaha...!

(How'd I miss this?)

Slappy-san, you have been granted with a vision of Our Lady of the Riveters. Where her mark appears, a Good Woman resides. Someone who is kind, generous, intelligent, and just may be up for some hot threesome action. Heed this mark.

What if it was a male friend ?? Oops.....

Montana, so when r u gonna test the law ?? Wink
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 09:30 am
Ooh. Well, the threesome part still works... Confused
0 Replies