Windows start-up help!

neo

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 10:10 pm
Hi, i need your help. A Friend of mine recently purchased a new Dell Laptop. She is having problems on start-ups. Whenever the computer is turned on (before it goes to windows) it will give her an option to select Microsoft Home XP or Microsoft setup. It would not automatically go to windows. She normallyselects Home XP to get into windows. What can we do to erase the "setup" version and have it connect to windows automatically? thanks for your help. neo
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 693 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Monger

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 03:23 am
I'm not sure what you mean by "Microsoft Setup." What is that option's exact wording? When you select that option does it actually start trying to install Windows again, does it bring you to a DOS-like recovery console screen, or something else?
0 Replies

neo

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 06:48 am
i'm sorry i think it said "microsoft Xp Setup". when she select this option, we get a blank screen (like in dos mode for a second) then it return to the options screen. also on that screen, the options to select "safe mode", safe mode with command", "start windows normally" etc.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 07:47 am
neo wrote:
also on that screen, the options to select "safe mode", safe mode with command", "start windows normally" etc.

That menu is normally accessed by pressing F8 during startup.

Check to make sure your friend doesn't have her WinXP setup CD in the drive when she's starting the computer.

If she doesn't, post the entire contents of your boot.ini file here & I'll tell ya what to remove from there. Here's a recent thread with info about accessing boot.ini
0 Replies

neo

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 08:19 am
thank you very much
0 Replies